HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 26, 2012, 03:41 PM
I hate waiting for parts
United States, NC, Garner
Joined Apr 2001
7,073 Posts
Question
What am I missing? CastleLink with disabled BEC on ICE 100...

Hopefully someone has the answer, because I am totally confused. I have installed a Castle ICE 100 in my T-Rex 600e. It is connected to a y-harness... the male end is plugged into the receiver, and the other female end is meant for plugging into the CastleLink. I disabled the BEC by removing the red/middle wire from the male end of the y-harness. As far as the radio is concerned, the ESC works fine.

Here's my problem: I cannot use the CastleLink programmer while the ESC is plugged into the receiver. When I plug the CastleLink into the y-harness, the ESC will give the power-up tones and count two cells. It's very faint but it's audible. When I plug a battery into the power leads of the ESC (first a 3-cell then a 5-cell), nothing happens. I then pulled the red wire from the extension that plugs into the y-harness (the male-male cable that goes between the CastleLink and the y-harness). The ESC no longer makes weak power-up sounds. I plugged a LiPo into the power leads and the ESC powers up like normal with a strong, loud tone. The CastleLink still does not connect.

The y-harness accidentally came out of the receiver and then everything worked fine. I thought that was strange as that shouldn't have anything to do with it. The whole point of the y-harness is that the receiver is very difficult to get to, and I'd like to easily make adjustments to the ESC at the field.

What am I doing wrong? Any suggestions are appreciated... thank you!
Mike_Then is online now Find More Posts by Mike_Then
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Thank you, veterans
to remove ads between posts
Old May 26, 2012, 05:11 PM
Gotta Luv Gasser Helis..
Gold Coast, Qld , Australia
Joined Apr 2006
333 Posts
normal Y harness won't work , you need the CC y harness to isolate the rx from the castlelink.....

http://www.castlecreations.com/produ...k_connect.html
_Peter is offline Find More Posts by _Peter
Old May 26, 2012, 07:23 PM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
18,091 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_Then View Post
Hopefully someone has the answer, because I am totally confused. I have installed a Castle ICE 100 in my T-Rex 600e. It is connected to a y-harness... the male end is plugged into the receiver, and the other female end is meant for plugging into the CastleLink. I disabled the BEC by removing the red/middle wire from the male end of the y-harness. As far as the radio is concerned, the ESC works fine.

Here's my problem: I cannot use the CastleLink programmer while the ESC is plugged into the receiver. When I plug the CastleLink into the y-harness, the ESC will give the power-up tones and count two cells. It's very faint but it's audible. When I plug a battery into the power leads of the ESC (first a 3-cell then a 5-cell), nothing happens. I then pulled the red wire from the extension that plugs into the y-harness (the male-male cable that goes between the CastleLink and the y-harness). The ESC no longer makes weak power-up sounds. I plugged a LiPo into the power leads and the ESC powers up like normal with a strong, loud tone. The CastleLink still does not connect.

The y-harness accidentally came out of the receiver and then everything worked fine. I thought that was strange as that shouldn't have anything to do with it. The whole point of the y-harness is that the receiver is very difficult to get to, and I'd like to easily make adjustments to the ESC at the field.

What am I doing wrong? Any suggestions are appreciated... thank you!
I standard Y-harness will never work for that purpose.

To do what you want you need a Castle Link Quick Connect. http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXZYU2&P=7

To disable the BEC you remove the red wire from the connector that goes to the receiver. After that everything should work just as you want it to.

I use the Castle Link Quick Connect on most all my ESCís as it makes it much easier to view the logs, change parameters and upgrade firmware.
RC Man is online now Find More Posts by RC Man
Old May 26, 2012, 09:16 PM
I hate waiting for parts
United States, NC, Garner
Joined Apr 2001
7,073 Posts
Thanks for the replies; guess I will have to pick one of those up. Never would have figured that out...
Mike_Then is online now Find More Posts by Mike_Then
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Thank you, veterans