HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by CyberJay, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old May 26, 2012, 11:40 AM
Rsetiegerd Uesr
USA, AR, Cave Springs
Joined Apr 2005
3,069 Posts
Discussion
Hangar 9 80.5" Taylorcraft.

Since I absolutely love my little E-flite Taylorcraft I had to jump on the big one when a fellow club member indicated he was ready to let it go. This aircraft is one of my favorites and I am thrilled to finally have the big one in my hangar.

This airplane used to have a G-26 mounted but I have converted it to electric. I have a 2000 watt, 17.25lb, 1/4 scale Monocoupe that has nice aerobatic performance, a little better than scale but far from fully "sport" like my little Taylorcraft is. So when converting the Big-T I was shooting for 16lbs or less and 2500 watts or more.

With the current 18x10" prop I'm at 16lbs even and just a hair over 3000 watts WOT with fresh batteries. This is exceeding the rating of the motor, but it comes down cool to the touch so I'm not terribly worried about it. I do, however, plan to back down to an 18x8" prop the next time I do a Hobby King order and see what that does. I really think 2500+ watts would be plenty for how I fly.

AUW: 16lbs even.
Static test: 3080 watts.

The Big-T is setup like this:

Hangar 9:
80.5" Taylorcraft "20cc" ARF

Turnigy:
G160 290Kv outrunner
Sentilon 100A HV ESC
18x10 Beechwood light electric prop
10s1p 5000mah 30c LiPo (5s1p x2)

Futaba:
T12FGA transmitter
R617FS receiver

HiTech:
(5) HS-645MG servos (elevator, ailerons, rudder)

Radical RC:
2300 A123 RX pack
CyberJay is offline Find More Posts by CyberJay
to remove ads between posts
Old May 27, 2012, 01:09 AM
Not fly. Jump good.
Ohio, USA
Joined Apr 2010
111 Posts
Nice job on the conversion. If it flies anything like mine does with the Zenoah G26, you're probably really enjoying this plane. I love mine. I have only flown mine twice so far, but it was a blast. I'm looking forward to many more flights. I hope you have many with yours as well. I thnk this is very nicely built aircraft, and very nice looking.
skrface420 is offline Find More Posts by skrface420
Old May 27, 2012, 09:54 AM
Rsetiegerd Uesr
USA, AR, Cave Springs
Joined Apr 2005
3,069 Posts
Well, from what I can tell the G26 is between 2.4 and 2.6 horsepower at it's higher RPM levels.

At 3000 watts my setup is over 4 horsepower. I haven't tried to calculate thrust, but it exceeds 1:1.

Like I said originally, it's really "too much" power for the airplane. I'll prop down and see if I can get a more manageable curve. I guess I could always mess around with the throttle curve in the radio too.

-Jay
Old Jun 07, 2012, 06:49 AM
United States, GA, Atlanta
Joined Mar 2008
3,690 Posts
Cyber can you post some pics of how you are mounting your batteries? i just got a Tcraft BNF and I just cant decide if I should go electric or gas. I have all the setup for electric as well. I have a brand new power 160 laying around which should be the same as yours. how long are you standoffs for the motor? How long are your run times. I was thinking of running 10s 5000MAH. Stock servos, ztw100HV esc , castle bec pro, this is if I go electric. This plane is so pretty I think a clean electric setup would be sweet. On the other hand If I go gas I will likely not use the g26 zenoah. And use my DLE30 I have from another plane. Any thoughts?
bigmoebbq is offline Find More Posts by bigmoebbq
Old Jun 07, 2012, 05:39 PM
Rsetiegerd Uesr
USA, AR, Cave Springs
Joined Apr 2005
3,069 Posts
Well.. I think I don't like fuel. If you look at the rest of my blog entries you will see a WIDE variety of aircraft that all share one common element. I like electric.

I'll have to get some pics of the battery setup. I like what I came up with, I don't love it, but it's pretty good.

I have no idea what kind of actual power a DLE30 provides, but I know with my current setup it is an absolute monster. WAY more power than it actually needs.

My standoffs are 58mm, plus a couple washers. I might go 60mm if I made them again, the prop is pretty close to the cowl the way I have it now. BUT, keep in mind I have those big wooden blocks that the Zenoah was mounted on before.

I've had it pretty easy, just mount the cowl and put a nice quality metric ruler through the hole until it hits the firewall. Then measure from the mount to the flat where the prop mounts. Allow for some space and go. Oak dowl is cheap enough if you need to make a second set.

-Jay
Old Jun 08, 2012, 06:25 AM
United States, GA, Atlanta
Joined Mar 2008
3,690 Posts
What kind of run times are you getting with your electric setup?
bigmoebbq is offline Find More Posts by bigmoebbq
Old Jun 08, 2012, 09:46 PM
Rsetiegerd Uesr
USA, AR, Cave Springs
Joined Apr 2005
3,069 Posts
I've got the timer at 9 minutes. I put about 60% back in my batteries. Being that the setup is sooo over-powered it has a lot to do with how heavy I am on the throttle.

-Jay