looking up down under
Australia, NSW, Fairlight
Joined Feb 2008
1,584 Posts
Mini-HowTo
avoid soldering fumes

what you really need is a ventilation system for your workbench

and that's what i needed too - and thus this project was undertaken

didn't really know where to post this, so it's on my blog, and i figured a pointer from here might be useful - feel free to suggest a better place to post the idea, or in any case feel free to share the idea as i reckon it has merit for a whole lot of builders

happy breathing !
scruffy1 is online now Find More Posts by scruffy1
to remove ads between posts
Old May 26, 2012, 10:40 AM
Redacted per NSA "suggestion"
United States, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Feb 2012
5,480 Posts
I usually don't worry about ventilation. Most of the time I'm only doing 5 minutes of soldering per plane, really minute amounts. Since lead core solder is no longer sold in the states (well not at RS anyway) I've never really been that concerned.
dedStik is offline Find More Posts by dedStik
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: More Confessions of a Smoker
Old May 26, 2012, 12:08 PM
United Kingdom, England, Brighton
Joined Apr 2007
1,145 Posts
That's actually a neat idea - I like it.

Like dedStik, I only solder a couple for short periods of time, but if I was going for a long solder session, I'd like your extraction system.
DeeBee1 is offline Find More Posts by DeeBee1
Old May 26, 2012, 01:22 PM
B for Bruce
The 'Wack, BC, Canada
Joined Oct 2002
11,641 Posts
My new shop setup is going to have a tent style fume hood area. The real reason is for use with solvents and paints but if I were soldering a large amount of connections this would be another reason. For the amount I do solder though I don't see doing it at a fume hood.
BMatthews is offline Find More Posts by BMatthews
Old May 26, 2012, 08:11 PM
KE your cub.
in the gutter, again....
Joined Jun 2005
4,217 Posts
I usually just lean back.
Curare is offline Find More Posts by Curare
Old May 26, 2012, 09:51 PM
looking up down under
Joined Feb 2008
1,584 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curare View Post
I usually just lean back.
you obviously have better eyesight than me, or you don't solder micro components

i have been doing jst pins, and those 3 pin plugs with a 2mm gap between wires the size of fine needles - if i lean back i can barely see the plastic bit they come out from
Old May 27, 2012, 12:06 AM
KE your cub.
in the gutter, again....
Joined Jun 2005
4,217 Posts
I was actually being light hearted about it, but yeah, soldering that kind of stuff, I usually end up with a face full of smoke, or I open the window to my workshop, living in the 2nd windiest city in the world occasionaly pays off
Curare is offline Find More Posts by Curare
Old May 27, 2012, 12:17 AM
B for Bruce
The 'Wack, BC, Canada
Joined Oct 2002
11,641 Posts
Ah yes... I fondly remember the days when I could casually glance at a TO-92 transistor and read the numbers plain as day...... <sigh....> Now I buy my "readers" in 3 packs from Costco and scatter them around the house..... Somehow they all end up in the same "reading room" or my car on a frequent basis. I didn't know that reading glasses held conventions?.... And why THAT room?

Set that fan you showed well off to the side so you have a slight but noticable breeze wafting by the soldering area and you'll be fine. Get too much air in your face and you'll find you have trouble soldering some of the items due to the cooling effect. With electronics soldering you want to get in and out again as quickly as possible consistent with getting a good flow and bond. Anything more than a slight wafting can mess that up. Done my share over my career of such stuff.
BMatthews is offline Find More Posts by BMatthews
Old May 27, 2012, 03:19 AM
looking up down under
Joined Feb 2008
1,584 Posts
a 2s lipo and the fan at full speed with the ~7v supplied, located downwind of the area, and there is no discernible breeze, but the plume goes straight out the window

the beauty of the antec 3 speed is exactly that : 3 speeds to choose from

after another intermittent marathon today it has proven a winner

as for glasses : if i'm not wearing the binocular loupe (with adjustable magnification via a second fold-down lens), i find i end up wearing my reading glasses and my mid distance glasses together to gain around 2.5 dioptres

the only redeeming factor is that my distance vision is still pretty much excellent, so flying little planes is still a possibility
Old May 27, 2012, 09:13 AM
Joined Mar 2006
500 Posts
I wonder how much lead you are exposed to when soldering even for long periods of time. I know no lead is best, but if it's less than the mercury content in a can of tuna, is it really a big deal?
spog is offline Find More Posts by spog
Old May 27, 2012, 09:57 AM
ltc
AMA 97737
United States, MA, Mendon
Joined Mar 2010
2,776 Posts
With 40+ years of bench soldering without a benchtop fume extractor, I just don't think about it anymore.

However, if I were starting over, even in the new lead free RoHS era, a bench top fume extractor would be a good idea.
ltc is online now Find More Posts by ltc
Old May 27, 2012, 10:32 AM
looking up down under
Joined Feb 2008
1,584 Posts
lead is a cumulative toxin, and best avoided

"The US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the World Health Organization state that a blood lead level of 10 μg/dL or above is a cause for concern; however, lead may impair development and have harmful health effects even at lower levels, and there is no known safe exposure level."

wikipedia knows !
Old May 27, 2012, 10:54 AM
ltc
AMA 97737
United States, MA, Mendon
Joined Mar 2010
2,776 Posts
With so many things that cause cancer these days, I somehow doubt my soldering will be the cause.
Besides, there's nothing I can do at this point, what's done is done.

The sad thing is that I still use lead based solder, as lead free simply isn't as good or reliable.
ltc is online now Find More Posts by ltc
Old May 27, 2012, 10:55 AM
San Diego, California
Joined Dec 2004
3,618 Posts
"Now I buy my "readers" in 3 packs from Costco and scatter them around the house..... "

Lucky you. I wish I could do that. I have to have tri-focals, and they cost me a fortune:-(((((((((((

Les
LesUyeda is offline Find More Posts by LesUyeda
Old May 27, 2012, 10:57 AM
San Diego, California
Joined Dec 2004
3,618 Posts
"lead is a cumulative toxin, and best avoided"

At 81, maybe I better quit pretty soon:-)))))))))))))))

Les
LesUyeda is offline Find More Posts by LesUyeda