HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 28, 2012, 08:46 PM
United States, OH, Salem
Joined Dec 2011
142 Posts
has a 15.5 inch wingspan.....none of the hobby shops near me had any WW1 wheels.....I may just make my own or order some off the net....Certainly would look much better....jello cup cowl.....never would have thought of it ...will give it a try...Did not get a chance to test the plane today as planned....stayed up too late with my girlfriend......Watched the movie "Nineteen Forty One" with John Belushi and Dan Akroid.....old movie but I had never seen it....Also fairly windy here today...Going to test it tomorrow with a good friend of mine who is into model gliders and thermal soaring...He is a very good scratch builder of gliders....Cannot wait to see what happens....Going to do some bungee hi start glider launches also..........will go back over the model after the test flights and fix some of things the can be better....
sweeteye is offline Find More Posts by sweeteye
Last edited by sweeteye; May 28, 2012 at 09:13 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 29, 2012, 06:54 AM
Centreville,VA,USA
Joined Apr 2001
3,915 Posts
BTW my girlfriend is up in Fremont Ohio visting her dad this week, not sure where your at.

Be sure to do a few glide test tosses onto a soft surface like a fluffed up bed to be sure you've got the CG on with the battery in place. That way if she glides true once powered up she should fly well with only some minor trims needed.

Pete
mtflyr is offline Find More Posts by mtflyr
Old May 29, 2012, 10:36 AM
United States, OH, Salem
Joined Dec 2011
142 Posts
just got back from test flying....had some trouble the first few tries and busted up the landing gear....had to add modeling clay ballast even with the gear on..removed what was left of the landing gear and added more ballast.....finally got it to fly well after some trim adjustment...made a few short flights....wind was just strong enough to make flying difficult though I did get some occasional breaks to allow the few flights I made...thunder in the west and an approaching storm caused me to pack it in and head home...Being I need an abundance of weight up front I am going to put on some heavy duty landing gear..probably will still need some ballast...At least I know it will fly once I get it set up good..Maybe will get a chance this evening to try it out again unless we have a total wash out....Really do need the rain....
Old May 29, 2012, 10:41 AM
Gary
USA, CT, Sandy Hook
Joined Dec 2009
793 Posts
Sweeteye, consider moving your receiver block right behind the motor. You seem to have room there.
gklein is offline Find More Posts by gklein
Old May 29, 2012, 10:46 AM
United States, OH, Salem
Joined Dec 2011
142 Posts
I will end up doing that....should have done it right at first...now I will have to lengthen the push rods .....that is no big deal to do though....In fact I guess I will do that this afternoon while I do not have any other obligations....One of My brothers and his family is living in Darien CT....
Old May 29, 2012, 12:53 PM
United States, OH, Salem
Joined Dec 2011
142 Posts
I forgot to add in my post before this that the servo controlling the elevator started to function in reverse of how it should .....down on the stick is down elevator and up stick is up elevator....the rudder is functioning properly....do not know why this happened.....cannot seem to pinpoint how to fix this.......
Old May 29, 2012, 01:30 PM
Gary
USA, CT, Sandy Hook
Joined Dec 2009
793 Posts
I have seen this happen with Parkzone gear. What transmitter are you using?
Old May 29, 2012, 01:32 PM
United States, OH, Salem
Joined Dec 2011
142 Posts
It is the transmitter that comes with the P-51.....not sure what it numbers are...would have to look it up.... be back... PKZ3341 ? pretty sure that is it.... actually i think it might be the vapor receiver....I binded the receiver to another transmitter and the elevator was still reversed..............going to try the transmitter that came with the vapor .....its an Etomic
Last edited by sweeteye; May 29, 2012 at 01:42 PM.
Old May 29, 2012, 01:59 PM
Gary
USA, CT, Sandy Hook
Joined Dec 2009
793 Posts
For the night vapor transmitter:

1. Be certain the battery is unplugged from the aircraft and the transmitter turned off.
2. Push down on the digital trim button for the surface you would like to reverse.
a. Top elevator trim buttonóelevator normal
b. Bottom elevator trim buttonóelevator reverse
c. Left rudder trim buttonórudder normal
d. Right rudder trim buttonórudder reverse
3. Continue holding the desired digital trim button down and turn the transmitter on.
4. Hold the digital trim buttons down for approximately five
seconds until tones are heard, confirming the selection.
5. Connect the flight battery and complete the flight control test, confirming all surfaces are operating in
the correct direction.
Old May 29, 2012, 02:27 PM
United States, OH, Salem
Joined Dec 2011
142 Posts
Cool.... .. thank you for the instructions.....Guess when I was trimming the plane this morning I somehow reversed the servo for the elevator............Have the plane ready for more testing....hopefully this evening if the wind lets up some....Moved the receiver forward and put on heavy duty landing gear struts and axle...
Old May 29, 2012, 04:55 PM
Gulf Breeze, FL
Joined Jul 2006
2,846 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweeteye View Post
...none of the hobby shops near me had any WW1 wheels.....I may just make my own or order some off the net....
Make your own - they'll be the perfect size and actually look better than most you can buy. I put this up for you in Pete's Nieuport thread:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...3&postcount=76

Gene K
speedy01 is online now Find More Posts by speedy01
Old May 29, 2012, 08:46 PM
United States, OH, Salem
Joined Dec 2011
142 Posts
Thanks speedy.....just what I was thinking about....I am good to go now as far as weight up front goes after moving the receiver forward and using bass wood for landing gear struts...glued on a couple of needles to some bass wood to make an axle...no wire around the house...No ballast even needed now.....Just returned from my evening test flights.....Storm passed into Pennsylvania and left perfectly calm conditions behind it.....my Nieuport flew very well, just an ever so slight desire to turn to the left and could not get it trimmed out...perhaps a wing slightly out of wack??..was able to climb up to as high an altitude that you would want to take a plane this small.....only real problem is that I accidentally got a small amount of epoxy on the top plastic gear for the motor yesterday while adjusting it....tried to get it off earlier but still need to go back over it again and maybe lube the gears up....was not able to do a loop I believe because of the glue.....hurting the performance of the motor.....plane still flew really well and looks cool in the sky....love the way the WW l planes look while in the air.....Can now concentrate on making the plane look better.........very pleased that I have been able to make this plane fly......
Last edited by sweeteye; May 29, 2012 at 08:56 PM.
Old May 29, 2012, 09:47 PM
Gary
USA, CT, Sandy Hook
Joined Dec 2009
793 Posts
Great job getting your plane to fly sweeteye!
Old May 30, 2012, 07:28 AM
Centreville,VA,USA
Joined Apr 2001
3,915 Posts
Great job. With two wings they must be even by eye to fly straight. So check them out from all angles. Also measure the space between each wing tip on each side they need to be even. I also sometimes put in a little washout on each aileron TE tips just slightly bend each up a tad. Again be sure to eyeball all angles and she should fly true. Wait untill you do a Triplane

Jin's Sopwith Triplane is one of the coolest planes to see when it's flying. The DR-I's are cool too.

Pete
mtflyr is offline Find More Posts by mtflyr
Last edited by mtflyr; May 30, 2012 at 08:21 AM.
Old May 30, 2012, 07:54 AM
United States, OH, Salem
Joined Dec 2011
142 Posts
Yes, I think the tri planes are the best to look at....something about the extra wings on bi-planes and tri planes.Guess there is just more to look at than a mono plane.Much easier for me to keep track of while flying.I did build a Guillows rubberband powered tri plane back in the 1990s...Turned out very well....I had a nice collection of rubber band powered planes back then.....I got sick and was in a hospital for quite a while and when I came home they were all destroyed....I was pissed off to say the least.........My keychain video camera should be arriving this afternoon....have to figure out what plane to try it out on first....I have a hobbyzone cub I may put it on first....larger more powerful plane that I am confident can carry it.....I feel unsure about mounting the camera on these smaller planes....
Last edited by sweeteye; May 30, 2012 at 08:13 AM.