Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old May 25, 2012, 09:42 PM
Joined May 2012
63 Posts
Discussion
nexstar mini ep aileron questions

Hi everyone. I primarily fly heli's but have gotten a plane to try. First question I have is what should I look for when my ailerons lock up? They have locked up 3 times now. Second question is what hole did people use on the servo arm to get good control with ailerons but not have them extremely touchy?

Thanks for the help as I am new to planes.
Digger1973 is offline Find More Posts by Digger1973
to remove ads between posts
Old May 25, 2012, 10:48 PM
"Landing" in a tree somewhere
Rochester, NY
Joined Sep 2009
946 Posts
When you say the ailerons lock up do you mean both ailerons lock up at the same time or is it just one of the ailerons?
When the lockup happens do you still have control over the rest of the plane (elevator, rudder, throttle) or does everything just cut out?
Do you have the RTF version or the RxR version?
If you have the RxR version what are you using with it?
Rayne is offline Find More Posts by Rayne
Old May 25, 2012, 11:18 PM
Joined May 2012
63 Posts
From what I saw only one aileron locks either in the down or up position. Rxr version with dx6i ar600x dsm2/dsmx receiver. Rest is stock with it.
Old May 25, 2012, 11:32 PM
Rochester, NY
Joined Sep 2009
946 Posts
Is it just one side or have both done it?
Also are the aileron servos y-connected or in separate channels?
Old May 26, 2012, 12:04 AM
Joined May 2012
63 Posts
Y connected. It will be one side or the other. With both sides being affected at different times I think I can rule out servos
Old May 26, 2012, 12:10 AM
Rochester, NY
Joined Sep 2009
946 Posts
Sounds like it might be a loose electrical connection, try wiggling the servo connectors and y-connector to see if you get any response. Also try disconnecting the linkage from the control horn on the ailerons and move them around yourself to see if they feel stiff or are catching on anything. Take a look at the servo and servo are to see if it's rubbing or catching on anything. Does this ever happen on the ground or has it just been while flying?
Old May 26, 2012, 12:16 AM
Joined May 2012
63 Posts
it has happened on the ground. I did order a new Y connector as I found it started working again after moving it. where it affected both sides the Y connector is the only common piece. I was hoping someone had this issue before so I would be more sure of the fix before trying it again.
Old May 26, 2012, 12:23 AM
Rochester, NY
Joined Sep 2009
946 Posts
I've had a similar thing happen to me with a y-connector.

Another thing you can do is plug the servos into separate channels and get rid of the y-connector all together. To do this plug one servo into your AIL channel and the other one into the AUX1 channel. Then setup your DX6i for dual ailerons and double check to make sure they're moving in the right direction (swap the servos around if they're not or reverse them on the radio).

For extra response put the linkage on the outer most hole on the servo arm and leave it there. Then simply move the linkage on the control horn to a hole that's closer to the control surface (for more throw) or farther from it (for less throw) and use your DX6i's expo to smooth out your ailerons' twitchiness. If you want more help on how to do any of this let me know.
Last edited by Rayne; May 26, 2012 at 12:31 AM.
Old May 26, 2012, 12:33 AM
Joined May 2012
63 Posts
Thank you for the help
Old May 26, 2012, 12:34 AM
Rochester, NY
Joined Sep 2009
946 Posts
You're welcome, good luck with your nexstar. Don't hesitate to ask if you have anymore problems.
Old May 26, 2012, 01:23 AM
Joined May 2012
63 Posts
Y connected. It will be one side or the other. With both sides being affected at different times I think I can rule out servos
Old May 26, 2012, 02:07 AM
Rochester, NY
Joined Sep 2009
946 Posts
Yes it sounds like the connection was loose somewhere along the way. If it still occurs without the y-connector then check your servo connectors.