HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old May 25, 2012, 06:59 PM
Registered User
Joined May 2012
21 Posts
Discussion
New to boats with a old boat

I got this boat many years ago but I want to rebuild it ... I have no information about it and was hoping you guys could help and is there anywhere that sells replacement parts ??? I have an old 2-channel radio and I post a list of everything I need below but I am trying to build this thing cheap but fast too... I have complete huge fresh water lakes I can use anytime...Oh do you guys think that this thing is even worth rebuilding ???My budget is about 100 bucks or so..

It's about to 37" long
Parts and info or suggestion..
1-I was thinking about upgrading the radio to 2.4ghz
2-I need a motor and esc with new batteries
3-I have an old dynamite charger for nimh and nicads but no batteries but was think about upgrading to lipo but fear to much money...
3-prop ( I have no idea about any of the info in order to purchase a new one ,,, I know it's a 2 prop with about a 40mm diameter
4-I was thinking about mounting a new tail section in order to replace the old one..


If you need more info just let me know and I will get it for you..
Torqueranger is offline Find More Posts by Torqueranger
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old May 25, 2012, 07:17 PM
Redneck Injuneer
bill34207's Avatar
Bradenton, Florida
Joined Aug 2007
6,252 Posts
With a $100 total budget you're not going to get there any time soon. Boat is an abbreviation and stands for Break Out Anoher Thousand.
Sadly, the same holds true for fast boat models.
bill34207 is online now Find More Posts by bill34207
RCG Plus Member
Old May 25, 2012, 07:21 PM
Registered User
Joined May 2012
21 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill34207 View Post
With a $100 total budget you're not going to get there any time soon. Boat is an abbreviation and stands for Break Out Anoher Thousand.
Sadly, the same holds true for fast boat models.
How much do you think if would cost to rebuild the right way and what would you use ???
Torqueranger is offline Find More Posts by Torqueranger
Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2012, 07:26 PM
Redneck Injuneer
bill34207's Avatar
Bradenton, Florida
Joined Aug 2007
6,252 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqueranger View Post
How much do you think if would cost to rebuild the right way and what would you use ???
scorpion1 would be the man to ask on this one. He's revived and souped up more of the toy grade boats than anybody else here. You can still look to double or triple your budget figure with all the "needed" items on your wish list though.
bill34207 is online now Find More Posts by bill34207
RCG Plus Member
Old May 25, 2012, 08:03 PM
Registered User
wparsons's Avatar
Canada, ON, Markham
Joined Aug 2008
8,841 Posts
That's a jet stream 800 by the look of it... You can probably strip back the wish list a bit and get the budget under $200, but I don't think you'll be able to do it for anywhere close to $100.

Even the cheapest 2.4ghz systems are $20 alone, add motor, esc, batteries and charger and you'll be well over $100 right there.

I would suggest running it on 2s with a 3650 brushless motor, and keep the running hardware thats on it.
wparsons is offline Find More Posts by wparsons
Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2012, 09:52 PM
I feel the need for speed!
scorpion1's Avatar
Southern U.S.
Joined Jun 2008
7,086 Posts
I'm really struggling to help you for a hundred bucks..................but

Since its a geared drive this will work on 4s Lipo or 12-14 cells minh.

Motor - $29 http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...r_2670kv_.html

ESC - $18 http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s..._w_5A_BEC.html

Lipo's (2) - $15 each http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...Lipo_Pack.html

2.4 Radio - $19 http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...und_Radio.html

$96 Total................and I killed a bunch of brain cells to gather this for under 100 bucks!!
scorpion1 is offline Find More Posts by scorpion1
Last edited by scorpion1; May 25, 2012 at 10:38 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2012, 10:31 PM
Thermite + ice = Big boom.
boaterguy's Avatar
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Apr 2009
2,274 Posts
Scorp, you're gonna have to run a pretty small prop to keep that motor under 70A in a 37" boat.
boaterguy is offline Find More Posts by boaterguy
Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2012, 10:38 PM
I feel the need for speed!
scorpion1's Avatar
Southern U.S.
Joined Jun 2008
7,086 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by boaterguy View Post
Scorp, you're gonna have to run a pretty small prop to keep that motor under 70A in a 37" boat.
Its a gear reduction drive
scorpion1 is offline Find More Posts by scorpion1
Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2012, 10:43 PM
Thermite + ice = Big boom.
boaterguy's Avatar
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Apr 2009
2,274 Posts
I'd be concerned about speed then.
boaterguy is offline Find More Posts by boaterguy
Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2012, 10:45 PM
I feel the need for speed!
scorpion1's Avatar
Southern U.S.
Joined Jun 2008
7,086 Posts
What do you expect for under 100 bucks?
scorpion1 is offline Find More Posts by scorpion1
Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2012, 11:19 PM
Thermite + ice = Big boom.
boaterguy's Avatar
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Apr 2009
2,274 Posts
True, you could buy a 3126 for an extra 6 bucks and add at least 400 watts.
boaterguy is offline Find More Posts by boaterguy
Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2012, 05:51 AM
Registered User
Joined May 2012
21 Posts
Thank you very much for the information
But I though wrong because the boat is only 32" long from the front to the transom , Sorry for the confusion and it's a jet stream 800

But still have a couple questions
1-Willl I have to mount some kind of pick up tube for the water cooling ???
2-Does the motor and esc have to be cooled ???
3-Whats the difference between the
S3660-2670 Brushless Inrunner (2670kv)
vs
3126??
4-How fast do you think this thing will go ????
5-Would you keep the gear reductions setup or no ??
6-Where can I get a prop that will work with this setup ???
7-Whats a good lipo charger ??
Torqueranger is offline Find More Posts by Torqueranger
Last edited by Torqueranger; May 26, 2012 at 06:12 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2012, 07:54 AM
I feel the need for speed!
scorpion1's Avatar
Southern U.S.
Joined Jun 2008
7,086 Posts
For the sake of saving money, keep the stock drive and prop for now. I would really recommend going to direct drive as brushless power will eat up the gears. Yes you need to cool a motor and ESC.

BUT, i have a similar boat that I run on a single outrunner and it is not cooled and does fine cuz the boat is light, the prop is conservative and the rpms are not high.

Try this for direct drive: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...or_1450kv.html

or this(the 3126): http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...er_1600KV.html

I really dont think you will need to cool these motors for a 4-5 minute run..........a cooling jacket is extra $$
scorpion1 is offline Find More Posts by scorpion1
Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2012, 12:29 PM
Registered User
wparsons's Avatar
Canada, ON, Markham
Joined Aug 2008
8,841 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by boaterguy View Post
True, you could buy a 3126 for an extra 6 bucks and add at least 400 watts.
It was designed to run on 7.2v nicad packs and a brushed 540, adding 400 MORE watts will blow it right off the water. I bet it ran on like 200 watts max stock, but probably more like 150 watts.
wparsons is offline Find More Posts by wparsons
Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2012, 09:12 PM
Registered User
Joined May 2012
21 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wparsons View Post
It was designed to run on 7.2v nicad packs and a brushed 540, adding 400 MORE watts will blow it right off the water. I bet it ran on like 200 watts max stock, but probably more like 150 watts.
I know but that's why I am asking you guys who would know more than me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpion1 View Post
For the sake of saving money, keep the stock drive and prop for now. I would really recommend going to direct drive as brushless power will eat up the gears. Yes you need to cool a motor and ESC.

BUT, i have a similar boat that I run on a single outrunner and it is not cooled and does fine cuz the boat is light, the prop is conservative and the rpms are not high.

Try this for direct drive: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...or_1450kv.html

or this(the 3126): http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...er_1600KV.html

I really dont think you will need to cool these motors for a 4-5 minute run..........a cooling jacket is extra $$
That was the plan because I want a motor that can be used as a direct drive already so I don't have to spend money down the road for a better motor..I already know that the original gear box is only so strong and probably won't last and getting replacement parts are going to cost more than just converting it to direct drive..Oh I was plan on using some tubing for cooling on the motor ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpion1 View Post
I'm really struggling to help you for a hundred bucks..................but

Since its a geared drive this will work on 4s Lipo or 12-14 cells minh.

Motor - $29 http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...r_2670kv_.html

ESC - $18 http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s..._w_5A_BEC.html

Lipo's (2) - $15 each http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...Lipo_Pack.html

2.4 Radio - $19 http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...und_Radio.html

$96 Total................and I killed a bunch of brain cells to gather this for under 100 bucks!!
Thank you very much for the great info









Sorry guys for all the questions but I have no idea's about brushless system because I owned a Traxxas t-maxx nitro with a picco .21 motor and this was about 5yrs ago and alot has changed since I have done this...How hard would it be to convert it to a direct drive ???
Torqueranger is offline Find More Posts by Torqueranger
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Old plane with old batteries or new plane with new lipo? yamabiker Electric Plane Talk 33 Jan 03, 2011 07:05 PM
Help! help with old boat jakz Racing Boats - Electric 6 Apr 28, 2009 11:43 PM
New Kit - Old Mahagony Boat George Pfeifer Scale Boats 0 Jun 10, 2003 03:30 PM