Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old May 25, 2012, 04:41 PM
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Mar 2012
34 Posts
Discussion
Making 3" foam sheet out of two thinner sheets?

I'm having problems locating 3" 1lb foam sheets in my local area. Can I glue two 1.5" foam sheets together and cut it like it was a 3" sheet? Thanks.
Henry
bugdude is offline Find More Posts by bugdude
to remove ads between posts
Old May 25, 2012, 05:08 PM
I don't like your altitude
Joined Sep 2011
3,240 Posts
I'm having the same problem.Need 120mm,only found50 mm.I've done some tests using carpet fitters spray glue(Stikatak)the bond is excellent,but don't spray too close or the solvent will melt the foam(pink Knauf Polyfoam in my case)It hot wires ok,but if you can plan it so the wire is at an angle to the joint it will make a better job.It seems to sand ok;if I think I can feel a ridge I just "v"the joint slightly,and use lightweight filler.
Stuart
Stupot46 is offline Find More Posts by Stupot46
Old May 25, 2012, 05:20 PM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
20,810 Posts
Try These places-

K&G Foam Design Inc North Las Vegas, NV Products: Plastics: polystyrene foam; construction materials, wholesale: molding, all materials; contractors:..

Red Star Las Vegas, NV Products: Plastics: polystyrene foam; foams & rubber, wholesale; plastic materials: polystyrene

Ach Foam Technologies LLC Sparks, NV Products: Plastics: polystyrene foam; asbestos products: insulation, molded; insulation materials wholesalers;..

Barnhardt Manufacturing Co Reno, NV Products: Plastics: polystyrene foam; hospital supplies; plastic materials: polystyrene; surgical appliances & supplies

Dart Container Corp of Florida Reno, NV Products: Plastics: polystyrene foam; containers: plastic; plastic materials: polystyrene

Rogers Foam Corp North Las Vegas, NV Products: Plastics: polystyrene foam;

American Foam Manufacturing Las Vegas, NV Products: Plastics: polystyrene foam; plastic materials: polystyrene

Foam Kritters Manufacturing Las Vegas, NV Products: Plastics: polystyrene foam; plastic materials: polystyrene
hoppy is offline Find More Posts by hoppy
Old May 25, 2012, 07:43 PM
Joined Mar 2012
34 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stupot46 View Post
I'm having the same problem.Need 120mm,only found50 mm.I've done some tests using carpet fitters spray glue(Stikatak)the bond is excellent,but don't spray too close or the solvent will melt the foam(pink Knauf Polyfoam in my case)It hot wires ok,but if you can plan it so the wire is at an angle to the joint it will make a better job.It seems to sand ok;if I think I can feel a ridge I just "v"the joint slightly,and use lightweight filler.
Stuart
I still have a fresh can of the old 3M Super 77 (black can) and was thinking of joining two sheets with it to get the foam core thickness I need. I also have the new 3M Super 77 (red can) and have sprayed it on white foam to see how much I can spray on it before it dissolves the foam. It seems to work fine as long as I don't apply it too heavy. How about water-based contact cement (i.e. Weldwood in the green can)? Will this be compatible with foam?

Did you join your two pieces of foam at the chord line to minimize any visible joints?

Thanks,
Henry
Old May 25, 2012, 07:46 PM
Joined Mar 2012
34 Posts
Hoppy,

Thanks for the info. I'll check out the local Las Vegas companies first.

Henry
Old May 25, 2012, 10:10 PM
B for Bruce
The 'Wack, BC, Canada
Joined Oct 2002
11,288 Posts
If you decide to glue the sheets together do NOT let the glue get on the spots where the wire will pass through the joint. The glue will simply not react the same as the foam to the hotwire. Glue ONLY in the middle of the panel and let the wire simply pass by the splice line.

Also the faces on the foam sheets I've worked with from the hardware stores are seldom flat. In fact I have yet to find a flat sheet. They are all lump to some degree. So expect and plan for a rather exagerated "step" as the wire passes through the joint.
BMatthews is offline Find More Posts by BMatthews
Old May 26, 2012, 01:23 AM
Joined Mar 2012
34 Posts
Thanks for the heads up Bruce! That's exactly what I was planning to do if I can't find the 3" foam locally.
Old May 26, 2012, 01:32 AM
Joined Sep 2011
3,240 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMatthews View Post
If you decide to glue the sheets together do NOT let the glue get on the spots where the wire will pass through the joint. The glue will simply not react the same as the foam to the hotwire. Glue ONLY in the middle of the panel and let the wire simply pass by the splice line.

Also the faces on the foam sheets I've worked with from the hardware stores are seldom flat. In fact I have yet to find a flat sheet. They are all lump to some degree. So expect and plan for a rather exagerated "step" as the wire passes through the joint.
I've seen it recommended elsewhere to cut off the surface of the foam sheet to get a better join.As BM says if you can avoid cutting through the glue line so much the better.
Have a look at the carpet glue,it's good stuff and a lot cheaper than 3m,which I have heard mixed reports about.
Regards Stuart
Old May 26, 2012, 01:38 AM
Joined Sep 2011
3,240 Posts
Some pics of the trial I did.I know it's only short but the sanded joint is even
Stuart
Old May 26, 2012, 08:46 AM
Canada, MB, La Salle
Joined Sep 2004
447 Posts
If I had to order foam to be shipped to my residence, I might as well get the wings cut for me instead.

I'll be trying glue. Asked the same question on the RCU website. I might try contact cement (water based) in spots.

Jim
jpurcha is online now Find More Posts by jpurcha
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: How time flies
Old May 27, 2012, 12:12 AM
Do it Right, the first time!
United States, MN, Hermantown
Joined Dec 2008
5,153 Posts
I have used the 3M 77 on both white and "pink foam" no problem. And yes, don't spray to close, it will melt to some degree. As for hot wire, had 0 issueswith the 77 Cuts like butter with no drag. I had used 3M 78, which is made just for polystyrene foam "pink" and that does catch the hot wire as you pass through it. Just made up a block to cut out a fuse plug. Used 3 sheets together. Now keep in mind they were 12" wide and 65" long. sprayed two sheets , stood them on side 12" vertical, line up one side, start there, and slowly pancake them together, works well.
CoolerByTheLake is offline Find More Posts by CoolerByTheLake
Old May 30, 2012, 01:36 PM
Joined Mar 2012
34 Posts
Found 3" Expanded Polystyrene Foam (EPS) Locally

Stu:
That Stikatak spray adhesive looks impressive based on the pictures you posted. But can you get that here (USA) or is that just sold in the UK?

Hoppy:
Thanks for the "source" list. I contacted Red Star Foam, Las Vegas and they can cut any EPS sheet thickness I require.

Henry
...who'll be busy cutting foam cores this week
Old Jun 03, 2012, 11:49 AM
Joined Sep 2011
3,240 Posts
[QUOTE=bugdude;21753830]Stu:
That Stikatak spray adhesive looks impressive based on the pictures you posted. But can you get that here (USA) or is that just sold in the UK?

Looks like it's a UK co-www.interfloor.com.Suggest having a look in your local DIY or carpet stores,they'll have a similar product
Btw,I'm doing a trial cutting this 3 x50mm part without gluing,using bamboo skewer pegs and double sided tape,all placed to avoid the wire.
Stuart