Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old May 26, 2012, 03:48 PM
Gas Only
USA So. Cal.
Joined Sep 2010
1,029 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstrickjr View Post
I have had to use the warrenty program from Great Planes (Tower Hobbies). It took les than a week and a half for a new motor. I sent it in on a tuseday and it was back in my mail box the following thursday.

Be carefull if you buy a new ignition! I would only go with the one recomended for the DLE 20. The timing advance is diffrent on most engines and the DLE 55 may not be the same as the 20. Then you will get a hole diffrent set of problems.
I Know for sure that the DLE 20 ignition and the DLE 30 ignition modules ARE different as for the timing advance curve. I do not know about the '55. The modules are numbered by type. I don't remember off the top which is which but for the 20-30 one is a #3 and one is a #4 I don't know if the 55 module has the same curve as the 20 but if it doesn't it will not be right. Check it out before buying something other than for your engine. Ask Rexel, they make the modules and they have them available. Their web site tells you a lot about correctly timing the different engines.
Fokker DII is offline Find More Posts by Fokker DII
to remove ads between posts
Old May 26, 2012, 05:21 PM
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
7,497 Posts
All the engine guru's that I know of like Jodi from valleyview rc and ralph for CH ign say the dle 55's ign is a much better ign for the dle 20. it just runs smoother and idles better.
kerwin50 is offline Find More Posts by kerwin50
Old May 26, 2012, 06:51 PM
United States, MI, Waterford Charter Township
Joined Aug 2008
1,222 Posts
The # 3 module (DLE 30), and the #4 module (DLE 20) both have ignition "steps" rather than a curve, resulting in the timing being dumped in all at once. Both happen just off the idle (the DLE 20 is 2200 rpm if my memory is working right), and both cause grief (especially for rookies) when tuning (ever hear of problems regarding the idle "hanging"?). Trust me, or do some research on it prior to buying a module. You'll find going to the 55 module is a very common move for many that are unhappy with the #3 and 4 modules. There's a ton of info/documentation for this move already written, not going to repeat it all here.
ahicks is offline Find More Posts by ahicks
Old May 26, 2012, 11:05 PM
Gas Only
USA So. Cal.
Joined Sep 2010
1,029 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerwin50 View Post
All the engine guru's that I know of like Jodi from valleyview rc and ralph for CH ign say the dle 55's ign is a much better ign for the dle 20. it just runs smoother and idles better.
At the risk of sounding sarcastic I would like to ask 2 questions.
1. When did Jodi go back to Valley View? He left a year or so ago and I had not heard he was back with them.
2. Is CH web site back up? No, It is still down after many months.

And where is the "ton of information on this" that ahicks mentioned? When I research the Rcexl site (the module manufacturer), they do not even mention that there are different modules beyond # of cylinders and spark plug type/size. No mention of any difference in modules for different engines with the exception of Zenoa engines which seem to be different. So if I ordered a module for use with a cm-6 plug, they are all the same.
I am just confused here and want to know if there is a difference and what it is???
Fokker DII is offline Find More Posts by Fokker DII
Last edited by Fokker DII; May 26, 2012 at 11:57 PM.
Old May 27, 2012, 07:46 AM
Joined Aug 2008
1,222 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fokker DII View Post
At the risk of sounding sarcastic I would like to ask 2 questions.
1. When did Jodi go back to Valley View? He left a year or so ago and I had not heard he was back with them.
2. Is CH web site back up? No, It is still down after many months.

And where is the "ton of information on this" that ahicks mentioned? When I research the Rcexl site (the module manufacturer), they do not even mention that there are different modules beyond # of cylinders and spark plug type/size. No mention of any difference in modules for different engines with the exception of Zenoa engines which seem to be different. So if I ordered a module for use with a cm-6 plug, they are all the same.
I am just confused here and want to know if there is a difference and what it is???
Sarcastic tone noted.... As I've been there, done that, just trying to share what I've learned, in the spirit of forums like this one?

This is a DLE specific thing. THEY ordered their modules set up like this for these engines only. For info on it, you'll have better luck looking in strings specific to the 20 and 30. More so on the 20 as it seems to be affected more. It's been noted by many to be "pickier" on it's needle settings because of this issue.

Regarding the "ton of information" I'll tell you here the info I'm most familiar with is on a competing forum, under "gas engines". If you need more, please send me a PM. Not into getting admonished by sometimes over zealous mods. My post count is low here because I just started hanging out. Doesn't mean I haven't been around?

Regarding the difference, other RCexl modules vs. the #3 and #4, the #3 and #4 both use a single "step" when advancing or retarding the ignition timing, "dumping" it all at once. This is different than most other Rcexl ignitions that make this same ignition advance/retard move spread out in a "curve" (smaller steps, spread out over a wider rpm range?).

And the stuff Jody wrote? Not sure who he's working for at the moment is relevant to knowing what he's talking about (now or then?). You might also look into WHY the CH site is down. You're talking about a couple of guys that have likely forgotten more about this than you or I will ever know? -Al
Old May 27, 2012, 12:36 PM
Same Day Delivery
Economy, Pa.
Joined Mar 2002
3,394 Posts
Pale face ahicks speek'em truth.....This is a fact.
mike3976 is offline Find More Posts by mike3976
Old May 27, 2012, 12:54 PM
Joined Jul 2009
89 Posts
Ahicks, I sent you a PM

Thanks,
Dennis
xDennis is offline Find More Posts by xDennis
Old May 27, 2012, 06:53 PM
Joined Aug 2008
1,222 Posts
Returned PM Dennis.

I'd just like to add that the stock #4 DLE ignition modules CAN be dealt with. You don't have to run out and replace them because they're junk/won't work! It's not hard to deal with them, it's just they are a little pickier on their needle settings - they like to run on the rich side when setting the low needle. Set them like you would a nitro engine and you're going to run into a deal where they don't want to come down off a high idle for a few seconds. Set rich enough, this problem is minimized or not apparent at all....
Old May 27, 2012, 08:25 PM
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
7,497 Posts
BTW ad welcome to RC groups
I do stand corrected Jodi formerly of valleryviewrc.
If i'm not mistaken I think he has been working with DLE on the devolment of a couple new motors, but don't quote me on that.
Ralph or antique as he goes by over at flying giants will back up whats beening said.
your always welcome to pm either guy. they're great about giving out solid answers.
kerwin50 is offline Find More Posts by kerwin50
Last edited by kerwin50; May 27, 2012 at 08:31 PM.
Old May 28, 2012, 08:18 AM
United States, NC, Faison
Joined Jan 2011
682 Posts
I wanted to add why CH Ignitions is down. There are some serious health issues in that family owned buisness. They are still in operation but not mass producing anything right now. BME used CH IGN for years but due to the recent health problems they have swithched to the RCXEL brand. RCXEL seams to be a reliable replacement and is reasonably priced. I just hope that CH IGN can get back on thier feet soon and God Bless that family..
rjstrickjr is offline Find More Posts by rjstrickjr
Old May 28, 2012, 09:01 AM
1/2 scale
Pitt Meadows. B.C. Canada
Joined Oct 2006
147 Posts
The new owner of CH Ignitions is Adrian Ciulei, adrianc4u@msn.com
mogman is offline Find More Posts by mogman