HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old May 25, 2012, 02:05 PM
Joined Sep 2007
488 Posts
Question
Model Shops in the States

A friend of mine is going to make a trip in the States and needs to know where he may find model shops in Los Angeles, Las Vegas and San Francisco.
He's mostly interested in O/T models engines and parts.
Thanks for your help!
Guizzo 17 is offline Find More Posts by Guizzo 17
to remove ads between posts
Old May 26, 2012, 05:56 PM
Two left thumbs
Muncie, IN
Joined Sep 2006
4,230 Posts
This model engine manufacturer is located somewhat close to Los Angeles, and its owner is a former president of the Model Engine Collector's Association. http://www.mecoa.com/ About two hours or so south of Los Angeles is this museum: http://www.craftsmanshipmuseum.com/
GeoffinIN is offline Find More Posts by GeoffinIN
Old May 27, 2012, 12:48 AM
United Kingdom, Scotland, Fife
Joined May 1999
2,838 Posts
There's pretty much nothing in the way of model shops in the LA area that would cater for old timer stuff.
Ian Easton is offline Find More Posts by Ian Easton
Old May 27, 2012, 04:20 AM
Southampton, UK
Joined May 2007
768 Posts
Googling " hobby shops" at locations is one way try also googling model clubs in locations - websites of these will give the best hobbyshops for the area.

Finding way about is relatively easy once you pick up your free maps from the info centres run by the local "chamber of commerce".

you need a car of course as these cities are huge

yellow pages work well once you are there

john
John38 is online now Find More Posts by John38
Old May 27, 2012, 11:00 AM
United States, CA, Garden Grove
Joined Oct 2000
11,739 Posts
Your friend should know that today's brick and mortar hobby shops cater to RC model cars and ARF foam model airplanes and Helis.
Hobby People and others sell modern glow engines, a few modern plane kits, and limited building supplies, iron-on coverings, and bagged accessory items. A few cater to model model railroad hobbyists. There are a few online suppliers that cater to rubber powered FF modelers and a few that sell reproduction OT model plane kits, plans, and glow and ignition engine parts. Most model builders rely on large and small online suppliers for IC and electric powered model building supplies, electric motors and speed controls and IC engines and parts.
E-Challenged is offline Find More Posts by E-Challenged
Last edited by E-Challenged; May 27, 2012 at 11:06 AM.
Old May 27, 2012, 08:25 PM
Two left thumbs
Muncie, IN
Joined Sep 2006
4,230 Posts
Perhaps this group can help: http://www.vintagercsociety.org/cms/
GeoffinIN is offline Find More Posts by GeoffinIN
Old May 28, 2012, 05:22 AM
Gold Coast Australia.
Joined Jan 2005
2,467 Posts
No idea if it's still there, but about 10 years ago I was in Santa Monica CA for about a week and found a real old time proper hobby shop just inland walking distance from the beach.
I found it in the Yellow Pages, and was lucky enough to pick up a few old bits and pieces.

The guy that ran it was elderly, so maybe it's gone by now??????
gossie is online now Find More Posts by gossie
Old May 28, 2012, 06:12 AM
Joined Sep 2007
488 Posts
Thanks so much to you all! I'll pass your info to my mate.
Guizzo 17 is offline Find More Posts by Guizzo 17
Closed Thread