HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 25, 2012, 11:45 AM
South Africa
Joined Feb 2010
1,076 Posts
Help!
Ferrite ring substitute ?

Hi

I can't find any ferrite rings locally, i need 4 ferrite rings for a quadcopter for the esc's and receiver are close together, is there anything i can buy from say a local hardware shop or anything i can make diy as a substitute for each of the esc's ferrite rings ? i'm using 35mhz radio that's why i want the rings.
Axefly is offline Find More Posts by Axefly
to remove ads between posts
Old May 25, 2012, 03:41 PM
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
13,167 Posts
If you don't want to order from outside your country, you could try any local electronic shops, radio, TV repair shops etc.

Another way to reduce pick-up was by twisting the leads together, (often called a twisted pair), but with three wires in a servo/ESC lead, especially the current flat strip wire used, not so easy.

You could try taking the three connectors out of the plastic housing, strip the flat strip into the individual wires, and then twist, (or plat), the wires, and refit the connectors. You would need to do some testing afterwards to see if it was OK.

Also screening might work, i.e. wrapping each ESC lead in some aluminum foil, (kitchen foil etc).

Or better still, ask in the - DIY Electronics forum - as to be honest, I'm guess a bit here.
eflightray is online now Find More Posts by eflightray
Old May 25, 2012, 10:29 PM
Former Futaba employee
Joined Aug 2006
1,178 Posts
Do you have a LHS that can order the Align rings?
http://www.fxaeromodels.com/product_...q3hbs2tes65ij1
keyman923 is offline Find More Posts by keyman923
Old May 26, 2012, 11:54 AM
ltc
AMA 97737
United States, MA, Mendon
Joined Mar 2010
2,406 Posts
Check your local online distributors.
Digikey, Mouser, Newark, Farnell, etc.
Readily available, you just have to know what you want fir core material, size, impedance vs frequency, etc.
ltc is online now Find More Posts by ltc
Old May 26, 2012, 04:39 PM
Frequent Flyer
Orleans, MA
Joined Feb 2007
2,075 Posts
They are used extensively in amateur radio circuits. Amidon is a well known supplier:

https://www.amidoncorp.com/

You can get them on EBay as well.
whitecrest is online now Find More Posts by whitecrest