SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 25, 2012, 10:53 AM
Joined May 2012
48 Posts
Help!
What have I done now!

This morning the weather was a nice 75deg. calm winds and a day off of work. I took my art tech wing tiger and made the 18 mile trip to the field to make my maiden flight. I did all the pre-flight and was going to make a few taxi runs to get use to the plane and controls, taxied out and when I went to make a turn the plane tipped forward just a bit, the propeller hit the grass and that was that! All other servos work but I have no throttle, what gives and were do I start looking for the trouble. First RC plane and new to Rc in general,to say I am "flying blind" here is to beat a dead metaphor.
One thing I did not tell you, the grass was wet with morning dew and there was a bit of cut grass stuck to the bottom of the wing and fuselage. Did not even consider the fact that I was trying to fly an all electric plane!
Well ???
flipout is offline Find More Posts by flipout
to remove ads between posts
Old May 25, 2012, 11:08 AM
Team Twisted!
United States, CA, Hercules
Joined Dec 2011
4,319 Posts
If the ESC or the motor leads got a little wet after it dries out you should be good to go. Also some ESCs will stop the motor from spinning after the prop hits the ground so that you don't burn out the motor but after you return the throttle to zero it should start right back up again. Did you try to just unplug the battery and plug it back in?
hone1er is online now Find More Posts by hone1er
Old May 25, 2012, 11:11 AM
United States, FL, The Villages
Joined Oct 2010
4,001 Posts
If you still had the throttle advanced, even just a bit, you may have fried the ESC or even the motor. When it appears that the prop is going to touch a hard object (the ground) you must pull the power all the way off. Even a few seconds with power on and the prop not able to move places a lot of stress on those two parts.
Don
dkrhardy is offline Find More Posts by dkrhardy
Old May 25, 2012, 11:37 AM
Joined May 2012
48 Posts
Yep, I unplugged and then plugged it back in. All else works??? are you saying I may have fried only the ESC circuit for the throttle? Do you know how to test the thing or is it?*%#*?
Old May 25, 2012, 11:50 AM
Lysdexic I'm
Spring, TX
Joined Oct 2010
1,385 Posts
Yes, it's possible. A prop strike can put too much of a load on your ESC. About the only way to check is on another motor. Do you have a spare motor that you can check it on? Also, did you check the motor connections to make sure that none came loose? You might try trimming down your throttle trim tab and see if you get a tone as well.
HeeBeeGeeBee is offline Find More Posts by HeeBeeGeeBee
Old May 25, 2012, 11:52 AM
Team Twisted!
United States, CA, Hercules
Joined Dec 2011
4,319 Posts
You can also try to rebind it
hone1er is online now Find More Posts by hone1er
Old May 25, 2012, 12:18 PM
Redacted per NSA "suggestion"
United States, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Feb 2012
5,480 Posts
When you plug it in are you still getting the tones?

With the battery disconnected are you able to spin the motor freely by hand?
dedStik is offline Find More Posts by dedStik
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: More Confessions of a Smoker
Old May 25, 2012, 12:54 PM
Joined May 2012
48 Posts
The tones? come to think of it there are no tones!

What does that mean?

I have no other engine and it does spin freely
Last edited by flipout; May 25, 2012 at 01:12 PM.
Old May 25, 2012, 01:12 PM
3RN13
United States, IL, West Chicago
Joined Feb 2008
455 Posts
Flipout

Try pulling the throttle trim back, the ESC won't arm the motor (Tones) until it is at zero positive trim.

Ernie
ernie b is online now Find More Posts by ernie b
Old May 25, 2012, 03:48 PM
Joined May 2012
48 Posts
ernie b,

thanks for the imput adjusting the trim to zero did nothing to help. I have ordered a new one.
Old May 25, 2012, 04:15 PM
Joined Feb 2012
5,480 Posts
Remove prop from plane. With disconnected battery from esc and radio on set throttle to max, plug in battery on esc drop throttle down to zero, remove battery power off tx, power on tx, plug battery into esc with throttle at zero, see if that works. If all else fails you can try to rebind the model as hone1er mentioned.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 25, 2012, 07:18 PM
Joined May 2012
48 Posts
Tried it! Did not work.

thanks,

Stopped by the hobby store to inquire about an ESC. LoL! he looked at it and asked how much I paid for it, that it was a $9 part. When I told him that it came with the plane he said, let me see it is a Banana Hobby plane. Well it isn't from them but it is the same manufacture Art-Tech. The owner said that the planes look good but the electronics are #$*% and that they are not meant to fly.

Well to end this chapter of my "lack of flight journal" I paid for a Thunderbird Brushless ESC, 36-Amp the guy at the hobby shop said that it would do the trick!
Old May 25, 2012, 09:35 PM
3RN13
United States, IL, West Chicago
Joined Feb 2008
455 Posts
Flipout

I hope that does the trick for you...good luck.

Ernie
ernie b is online now Find More Posts by ernie b
Old May 25, 2012, 11:26 PM
Joined Feb 2012
5,480 Posts
Hopefully the guy knows what he's talking about. Truth be told that is probably a way better esc than the plane came with.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 25, 2012, 11:45 PM
rrg
USA, KY, Edgewood
Joined Dec 2007
1,289 Posts
Let us know what happens...
rrg is offline Find More Posts by rrg