HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 04, 2013, 01:12 PM
Sir Crashalot
Joined Oct 2011
2,203 Posts
High (and low) lites from this morning. Actually just an excuse to upload one of my favorite tunes.

WL Toys v929 to Led Zeppelin tune (7 min 58 sec)
stonecutter is offline Find More Posts by stonecutter
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 04, 2013, 05:50 PM
GOT WINGS
United States, TX, Wilbarger
Joined Apr 2012
2,207 Posts
Stonecutter, that is also my favorite Led Zeppelin tune, thanks for loading that, I had not listened to that in a long time Great flying too, I only wish I could fly that well.
siriusflier is online now Find More Posts by siriusflier
Old Feb 06, 2013, 01:17 PM
Specializing in RC since 1972
Temple, GA, USA
Joined Jun 2009
3,132 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by siriusflier View Post
A while back, someone wrote something about three bladed props and I could not help myself, I just had to try some. So I ordered some Gemfan 5030 props from goodluckbuy. I recieved them this week and mounted them on my V929 with the 8 plug board. I cut up some of the stock blades so I could use the mounting shaft, drilled the center of the 3 blade props so they will tightly fit on the original shafts, then super glued them in place and mounted them on quad. Two of the 3 blade props were well balanced, two were not, and I think I still need to work on one of them some more. I had Gws 5443 props on it before and they worked well. The Gf props are slower with less performance. 30 pitch compared to 43 on gws. I compensated for this somewhat with the programming in my T9x. If I were going to do it again, I think I would get Gemfan 5045 props. The 3 blade props also catch more wind, causing more of a pendulum effect when flying into the wind. They do not increase stability. Increase weight. Overall, I would not reccommend this mod. Some pictures:

One thing I did like, improved visibility.
Thanks for the info. I was considering trying say a 6x3 two blade. It appears that the pitch is necessary.
theothercliff is offline Find More Posts by theothercliff
Old Feb 06, 2013, 08:22 PM
What package dear?
USA ILLINOIS
Joined Nov 2002
2,028 Posts
Speaking of tunes and videos, I love putting music to them too what are we aloud to do. I mean if I post a video with music can they come after me for using their music?
Hellysmack is online now Find More Posts by Hellysmack
Old Feb 06, 2013, 08:51 PM
Sir Crashalot
Joined Oct 2011
2,203 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellysmack View Post
Speaking of tunes and videos, I love putting music to them too what are we aloud to do. I mean if I post a video with music can they come after me for using their music?
I sure hope not... , my guess is that you can use it as long as you acknowledge that fact and you are not making money from it, youtube makes money from the ads they flash on your videos.
stonecutter is offline Find More Posts by stonecutter
Old Feb 06, 2013, 09:58 PM
GOT WINGS
United States, TX, Wilbarger
Joined Apr 2012
2,207 Posts
In reference to the three bladed props I tried. I tried again to balance one of the orange ones, then discovered that I had drilled the hole through it at an angle, and it did not track properly. But I really liked the visibility of the green gemfan props on the front, so I took off the orange Gemfans and reinstalled my gray gws props on the back. It actually flew better without the unbalanced, bad tracking orange props So now I have two green gemfan 3-bladed props on the front and two gray gws 2-blade props on the back. Seems okay that way, but it has been windy since then, so I just got one flight for a test.
siriusflier is online now Find More Posts by siriusflier
Old Feb 06, 2013, 10:15 PM
Shelter Kitty "Orange Death"
United States, FL, Monroe
Joined Jan 2008
3,153 Posts
Three bladed props are less efficient than the two bladed.
They can develop more thrust but at a price.
Usually used on planes where more thrust is needed but doesn't have the ground clearance for longer two blade props.
bartricky is offline Find More Posts by bartricky
Old Feb 07, 2013, 07:14 PM
United States, MA, Plymouth
Joined Jan 2013
1,305 Posts
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonecutter View Post
I sure hope not... , my guess is that you can use it as long as you acknowledge that fact and you are not making money from it, youtube makes money from the ads they flash on your videos.
Unfortunately, you're not allowed to use any copyrighted music. In fact I'm guessing the video just posted will be gone pretty quick.
Arr0wHead is offline Find More Posts by Arr0wHead
Old Feb 08, 2013, 01:36 AM
Mark Harrison
USA, CA, Piedmont
Joined Jun 2010
2,168 Posts
Quote:
It's complicated. A lot of times YT will recognize the music, and if they have it licensed they will allow it. They'll put a "buy this tune" thing on your video, and you don't get ad revenue sharing.

Sometimes in another country the music isn't licensed, so they'll block your video in that country.
marhar is offline Find More Posts by marhar
Old Feb 08, 2013, 01:44 AM
...you hear that, Mr Anderson?
South Africa, GP, Johannesburg
Joined Dec 2012
77 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by marhar View Post
It's complicated. A lot of times YT will recognize the music, and if they have it licensed they will allow it. They'll put a "buy this tune" thing on your video, and you don't get ad revenue sharing.
Sometimes in another country the music isn't licensed, so they'll block your video in that country.
Original is best... I say leave the sound of the motors/props so you can hear the stick applications (...in the pitch changes of the motors/props)
If anyone doesn't like it, there's always the volume control
Inevitability is offline Find More Posts by Inevitability
Old Feb 08, 2013, 05:35 AM
What package dear?
USA ILLINOIS
Joined Nov 2002
2,028 Posts
I am new to quads and the video side of the hobby so learning ins and outs of what I can do, canít do and how to edit. Did not even realize I had a program on home computer to edit video until a week ago when V959 showed up.
Hellysmack is online now Find More Posts by Hellysmack
Old Feb 09, 2013, 08:18 AM
Mosquito 6
Joined Jun 2012
483 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bartricky View Post
Three bladed props are less efficient than the two bladed.
They can develop more thrust but at a price.
Usually used on planes where more thrust is needed but doesn't have the ground clearance for longer two blade props.
True .. True. Like an F4-U or P51D, but bear in mind that they spend 99% or their flight time biting at clean air, where as a heli-rotor spends alot of time pulling air downwards for hovering attitudes.

For acro, the stock props on the V929 are ideal because they are biting at mostly clean air most of the time. But for FPV with the V929, it's beiing reported that the GWS 3 bladed props are providing better results and more lift. This hasn't been quantified yet but we shall see. A stock V929 has 218 grams lift at FOT .. really ideal for acro. A disadvantage if the GWS prop is that they are press fit when stock.

On down the line I'll quantify this difference, but for acro, I'd just keep the stock props .. easier to balance and/or replace. For v929 FPV, all we gotta do is pack on another 12-15 grams for OSD w/gps .. so we can find it later .. LOL

Cheers ..

v929 FPV thread .. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1809332
TayNinh68 is offline Find More Posts by TayNinh68
Old Feb 09, 2013, 03:25 PM
Hungary EU
Joined May 2007
2,270 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TayNinh68 View Post
True .. True. Like an F4-U or P51D, but bear in mind that they spend 99% or their flight time biting at clean air, where as a heli-rotor spends alot of time pulling air downwards for hovering attitudes.

For acro, the stock props on the V929 are ideal because they are biting at mostly clean air most of the time. But for FPV with the V929, it's beiing reported that the GWS 3 bladed props are providing better results and more lift. This hasn't been quantified yet but we shall see. A stock V929 has 218 grams lift at FOT .. really ideal for acro. A disadvantage if the GWS prop is that they are press fit when stock.

On down the line I'll quantify this difference, but for acro, I'd just keep the stock props .. easier to balance and/or replace. For v929 FPV, all we gotta do is pack on another 12-15 grams for OSD w/gps .. so we can find it later .. LOL

Cheers ..

v929 FPV thread .. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1809332
the stock props? muhaha.... ...mate, should try the 2 blades GWS...
bulesz is offline Find More Posts by bulesz
Old Feb 09, 2013, 05:01 PM
Mosquito 6
Joined Jun 2012
483 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulesz View Post
the stock props? muhaha.... ...mate, should try the 2 blades GWS...
OK then .. GWS props for acro ehh Some of the FPV guys have tried the GWS 3 blades, and they feel they perform better .. for FPV anyway. I'll probably use 3 blade Master Airscrew's on my big build coming up, but then again, that's for efficiency and lift .. not acro

Cheers ..
TayNinh68 is offline Find More Posts by TayNinh68
Old Feb 13, 2013, 05:13 AM
South Africa, GP, Johannesburg
Joined Dec 2011
1,765 Posts
Tay ... Just a correction..
The gws 5443 are two bladed props...they are lighter and provide more thrust also reduce wod...
On the v929 and 949 they are a direct swap with the stock blades... With the 959 u have to either drill a new screw hole, press fit after applying and drying some ca on the shaft or use some sort of collar on the shaft to align the screw holes
ArchillesElbow is offline Find More Posts by ArchillesElbow