HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 01, 2012, 03:03 AM
Joined Jun 2012
2,578 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchillesElbow View Post
I tried that as well..
Ie drilling the top of the props and putting them on right way up in relation to the ground on an inverted arm/holder..
Despite factors like removing the motor holders etc, there is still not enough Clearence space to rotate and not hit a motor wire once in a while (even after I had taped the motor wires down..
Even then it didn't fly, just yawed in one place as if the gyro couldnt cope with something...
Confused. If I can 'fly' it upside down (I'll do a short video later of it skidding around the floor) there is room to invert the props on their shafts without hitting any wires. They're all in the arms as normal. It would also definitely restore the lift to original values - assuming you've got the props spinning the right way.
Brandigan is offline Find More Posts by Brandigan
Last edited by Brandigan; Oct 01, 2012 at 08:57 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 01, 2012, 09:01 AM
South Africa, GP, Johannesburg
Joined Dec 2011
1,775 Posts
Yep I have... I must have tried it for two days running, coz I was so sure it would work lol.. Maybe I am overlooking something simple... Let me know how your tests go?
ArchillesElbow is offline Find More Posts by ArchillesElbow
Old Oct 01, 2012, 01:30 PM
Joined Jun 2012
2,578 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchillesElbow View Post
Yep I have... I must have tried it for two days running, coz I was so sure it would work lol.. Maybe I am overlooking something simple... Let me know how your tests go?
You must be missing something. Put it back to normal and start again from scratch. Easy to get mixed up.
If you do what I did in the video below - note the board and battery are the normal way up, I've put it on the scales to show how much lift you get. A few grams different to before. Maybe this battery was heavier - and then put the props upside down on the shaft where you've cut a hole in the top of them you must get more lift than I did because they'd be the right way up and spinning in the correct direction.

(Also see why you don't need glue to hold cable-tie feet on )

v929 (and Blade MQX) inverted motor and prop test (1 min 17 sec)
Last edited by Brandigan; Oct 01, 2012 at 03:58 PM.
Old Oct 01, 2012, 02:40 PM
RC beginner
New York
Joined Oct 2008
5,980 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandigan View Post
As for 'flew like a charm', your previously demonstrated standards of what's acceptable
Quote:
Confused. If I can 'fly' it upside down (I'll do a short video later of it skidding around the floor)
not surprised to hear youre still confused. anyway its obvious we have different ideas of "acceptable standards". i dont have to see any videos to gather my octo flew better than any of your upside down experiments. apparently acceptable is in the eye of the beholder.
dave1993 is offline Find More Posts by dave1993
Old Oct 01, 2012, 03:56 PM
Joined Jun 2012
2,578 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave1993 View Post
not surprised to hear youre still confused. anyway its obvious we have different ideas of "acceptable standards".i dont have to see any videos to gather my octo flew better than any of your upside down experiments. apparently acceptable is in the eye of the beholder.
That's as true as it is funny sad.

I can't take all, or even much really, of the credit for the experiments - anyone who was bored enough could have done what I did: swap a few props about, plug in the motors differently, point a camera at it - it was nerys who came up with the intial suggestion and the yaw correction fix after the first video test. He was right both times.

My next theory - based on the results of the previous U816/v929 tests and his suggestions - is that if I made all the same swaps - including arms - to the U816 as I did to the v929 - it could fly semi-inverted in a controllable manner. Throttle and Yaw work as normal, but maybe Aileron and Elevator will be swapped. We'll see.

Someone recently said:
Quote:
btw wheres the videos? "no vid it didnt happen!" (oops... i shouldnt say that until i get some good ones up).
Old Oct 01, 2012, 04:25 PM
Sir Crashalot
Joined Oct 2011
2,217 Posts
Quote:
That's as true as it is funny sad.

I can't take all, or even much really, of the credit for the experiments - anyone who was bored enough could have done what I did: swap a few props about, plug in the motors differently, point a camera at it - it was nerys who came up with the intial suggestion and the yaw correction fix after the first video test. He was right both times.

My next theory - based on the results of the previous U816/v929 tests and his suggestions - is that if I made all the same swaps - including arms - to the U816 as I did to the v929 - it could fly semi-inverted in a controllable manner. Throttle and Yaw work as normal, but maybe Aileron and Elevator will be swapped. We'll see.

Someone recently said:
Don't you mean "pseudo-inverted"? Semi-inverted would have the craft lie on a vertical plane.
stonecutter is online now Find More Posts by stonecutter
Old Oct 01, 2012, 05:19 PM
RC beginner
New York
Joined Oct 2008
5,980 Posts
maybe "quasi-inverted". like my brandigan compliments.

Quote:
it was nerys who came up with the intial suggestion and the yaw correction fix after the first video test. He was right both times.
do i sense LOVE is in the air?
dave1993 is offline Find More Posts by dave1993
Old Oct 01, 2012, 09:52 PM
Mosquito 6
Joined Jun 2012
483 Posts
Quote:
You must be missing something. Put it back to normal and start again from scratch. Easy to get mixed up.
If you do what I did in the video below - note the board and battery are the normal way up, I've put it on the scales to show how much lift you get. A few grams different to before. Maybe this battery was heavier - and then put the props upside down on the shaft where you've cut a hole in the top of them you must get more lift than I did because they'd be the right way up and spinning in the correct direction.

(Also see why you don't need glue to hold cable-tie feet on )

http://youtu.be/unnsVsbJeZg
Brandigan .. that's You?? Nice vid of a v929 ant-sweeper bro. What happened to the 54.5 grams gross lift per rotor?

If you have new info, please share. No rush, my 4 bnf's from BG ordered on 30 August, are still some where in the ether. First orders where 16 days .. that shipping speed has gone out the window. I'll still build the dern thing, when the stuff gets here. Nuthin' wrong with sweepin' ants .. a couple feet agl works for a wasp killer
TayNinh68 is offline Find More Posts by TayNinh68
Old Oct 01, 2012, 10:03 PM
Mosquito 6
Joined Jun 2012
483 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonecutter View Post
Don't you mean "pseudo-inverted"? Semi-inverted would have the craft lie on a vertical plane.
I think that's illegal in California if I'm not mistaken Stonecutter. Yep .. I just checked .. psuedo-inverted semi-inverted back-asswards flying has been outlawed here. Forntunatelly, nobodyy's been busted yet, cause even the lawmakers don't know what that means either.
Old Oct 01, 2012, 10:26 PM
Mosquito 6
Joined Jun 2012
483 Posts
Quote:

I guess you do. In the real world, ya gotta Yaw your butt with port pedal in a starboard crosswind, lest your tail rotor stall from main rotor vorteses. Love .. is a safe landing.
Old Oct 02, 2012, 12:21 AM
Sir Crashalot
Joined Oct 2011
2,217 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TayNinh68 View Post
I guess you do. In the real world, ya gotta Yaw your butt with port pedal in a starboard crosswind, lest your tail rotor stall from main rotor vorteses. Love .. is a safe landing.
I hope you get your v929's soon, so you can do some building and flying, instead of smoking the funny weed.
stonecutter is online now Find More Posts by stonecutter
Old Oct 02, 2012, 04:44 AM
Joined Jun 2012
2,578 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonecutter View Post
Well, depends on whether the emphasis is on semi, or inverted

Basically half of it (ish) is umop apisdn - the legs and all the props - but the main board and battery are the normal way up.
Old Oct 02, 2012, 04:52 AM
Joined Jun 2012
2,578 Posts
Quote:
No, that's the (clearly unfamiliar) sweet, sweet smell of success.

Another famous quote:
Quote:
everybody makes mistakes but its what they do after that counts.
Last edited by Brandigan; Oct 02, 2012 at 05:22 AM.
Old Oct 02, 2012, 05:06 AM
Joined Jun 2012
2,578 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TayNinh68 View Post
Brandigan .. that's You?? Nice vid of a v929 ant-sweeper bro. What happened to the 54.5 grams gross lift per rotor?
That's still there - if the prop's the right way up and spinning forwards. Only ~8g per prop shown on the scales in the video.

The video was to test for inverted and reversed prop thrust. There are captions, a slowmo section and it's in 720p.

U816 props are a very different shape (pretty standard looking direct-drive prop) and are ~87% efficient in reverse. See test here. Enough to easily lift the craft. v929 /Blade MQX props are differently shaped - made for slower, geared-down rotation (a bit like on my Parrot AR.Drones; no chance they'll do anything useful in reverse; they are so slow you can stop them with a finger) but I just wanted to see how good/bad these were. The result was a bit disappointing; as I was hoping for 20-25g so it would fly, but that's experiments for you: no bias.

If ArchillesElbow does the same experiment, but puts his drilled-out props on the shafts the normal way up (no need to drill mine out if he's already done it) then he'll see the original amount of lift - well, maybe a few grams less as he'll be drawing air down past the motor mount and the foot/gear/arm.

Should be flyable, with possibly Aileron and Elevator pseudo-semi-flip-swapped.
Last edited by Brandigan; Oct 02, 2012 at 05:52 AM. Reason: spelinge errur
Old Oct 02, 2012, 05:35 AM
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Dec 2011
1,645 Posts
Has anyone seen the newly named PULSE? I believe it is near production.
It is simply a stunning work of art! it totally transforms an MQX/V929 into sci-fi land.
It's got minimal spray paint on it just to show some of the detail.
Production weight for whole body kit is said to be 16gr.

I've got dibs! who else is getting one?
vpsporb is offline Find More Posts by vpsporb