Old Aug 14, 2012, 06:00 AM
SSM
Voluntary Assumption of Risk
Australia, VIC, Canterbury
Joined Nov 2003
1,234 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettAltea View Post
I saw this beetle on Hobbyking but apparently it isn't the latest version? Where is the best place to order one for shipping to Australia? I already have a Turnigy 9x with er9x and I think that can bind to it so would only need a BNF model.

Thanks in advance
Brett
Brett,

A$31.33 delivered is hard to look past from Banggood for the BNF, IMHO.

I have just ordered my second one. My Turnigy 9X with er9x bound instantly and makes it a pleasure to fly.

Simon
SSM is offline Find More Posts by SSM
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 14, 2012, 06:56 AM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Aug 2011
648 Posts
Thanks for that Simon. Will place an order tomorrow.
BrettAltea is offline Find More Posts by BrettAltea
Old Aug 14, 2012, 07:02 AM
Australia, NSW, Nowra
Joined Mar 2012
87 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettAltea View Post
I saw this beetle on Hobbyking but apparently it isn't the latest version? Where is the best place to order one for shipping to Australia? I already have a Turnigy 9x with er9x and I think that can bind to it so would only need a BNF model.

Thanks in advance
Brett
I received 1 from Banggood and 1 from myrcmart.
Free shipping + a couple of weeks from Banggood,
BlindFreddy is offline Find More Posts by BlindFreddy
Old Aug 14, 2012, 10:55 AM
Poland, Śląskie, Bielsko-Biala
Joined Jan 2012
634 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonecutter View Post
If you don't mind wasting a minute of your time. This video is not to be taken seriously.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNToAQ3RUS4
Are those V911 landing skids on top of it ?

This is so awesome idea !

I hate the hassle with canopies, i just want them being as light and durable as possible and i'm sure those skids are going to be great
shafter is offline Find More Posts by shafter
Old Aug 14, 2012, 11:03 AM
Sir Crashalot
Joined Oct 2011
2,261 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shafter View Post
Are those V911 landing skids on top of it ?

This is so awesome idea !

I hate the hassle with canopies, i just want them being as light and durable as possible and i'm sure those skids going to be great
Yes, I kept the skids on because I'm still flying the cortle (v911 + v929 double decker). I'm not sure if it is lighter than the stock canopy, and it certain does not shield moisture like the stock canopy, but I'm too lazy to redo the tie wrap routine everytime I convert between the two.

Speaking of the cortle, here are a couple of attempted flips, first one I'd say I managed to pull it off, second one I could not recover.

First attempts to flip the cortle (0 min 33 sec)
stonecutter is online now Find More Posts by stonecutter
Old Aug 14, 2012, 01:08 PM
Joined Jun 2012
2,656 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfox7 View Post
what size is the carbon rod on this quad? I'm thinking of extending the arms and seeing what happens..
Oh, that reminds me: I replaced a broken boom recently and I noticed it is considerably stiffer than the other three. Tested by holding the motor and twisting it gently left/right. Now, it could be that the other three legs are all knackered slightly , but I can't see any cracks in them (the booms are made of two halves glued together by the looks of the one that came off), so it may be that the replacement legs are made of stiffer stuff.

Any one else replaced a boom that could confirm/refute this theory?
Brandigan is offline Find More Posts by Brandigan
Old Aug 14, 2012, 01:41 PM
Joined Jun 2012
2,656 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chester1 View Post
I flew my V929 into the side of a building while doing a tight turn and broke one of the frame arms. I have ordered new parts but I can't see how the motor and housing is removed from the arm. Can anyone help.
Late reply, but I did this recently and it can be easy, or it can be a right depending on how tight your motor mount cover is. The one I broke was of course the tightest of the four (I had one type 1 and three type 2s) and it also broke right at the end of the motor mount cover (See photo) which meant there was no leverage to pull the cover off the mount.

What I had to do was:
1) Unplug motor connector from centre frame end and pull the arm out.
2) Wiggle the break it until it was snapped off completely - be careful with the wires. (Mine were messed up with superglue and needed replacing, but it should be simpler if you just snapped it and the wires are still intact)
3) If you don't have enough boom to hold while you pull the motor mount cover off, (like me) find a thin piece of plastic and insert between the motor mount and the motor and gently, gently lever the motor mount cover about 1mm until it comes off the two little pimples holding it onto the motor mount. Remove the motor mount cover.
4) Cut the wire at the end that plugs into the centre at about 1cm from the plug. This is far enough away from the plug to allow you to strip and resolder the wires and not so far away that it will interfere with the wire that has to go back into the groove in the centre with the new boom.
5) Slide off motor mount cover and slide rest of boom out of motor mount and unplug cable from motor.
6) Remove wires from old boom, insert in new boom.
7) Put motor mount cover back on boom Or you'll be soldering twice
8) Strip about 0.5mm of wire from plug and cables and resolder connections. Be fairly quick, as almost any heat melts several more mm of insulation from the wires. Apply insulating tape (I tried very thin shrinkwrap, but shrinking it melted everything else around it slightly - it's all just too delicate. )
9) Push boom into motor mount, getting the wires in the right place/length (the original fold lines should guide you).
10) Rotate motor mount cover to the right way up (may need to slide off other end of boom) but do not click into place yet.
11) Insert boom into centre slot, making sure wires lengths were all correct and no tension on connections or soldered section. If too tight, you'll have to remove the boom from the motor mount again and get some slack wire from there. If all good, click motor mount cover into place.

12) Fly, my beauty, fly!
Brandigan is offline Find More Posts by Brandigan
Old Aug 14, 2012, 01:45 PM
Registered Addict
Bod, Norway
Joined Mar 2007
874 Posts
Some more videos:

WL-Toys v929 Outdoor (11 min 5 sec)
Stigern is offline Find More Posts by Stigern
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 14, 2012, 01:46 PM
The Netherlands
Joined Jan 2012
110 Posts
V929 Octocopter - Heavy lifter...

What do you think of this idea? Could this be a heavy lifter for more video equipment?
If its possible to fly a V911 + V929 combined (the Cortle), both binded and listening to one TX it should be possible to fly two V929s together.
I made this design based on two stock V929s with only two extra mainframes ($1.05 each from BG) and some CF 3x3 beam needed.
My idea is to run the two sets of four rotors on the two pcbs, each with its own lipo.
I ordered one extra V929 BNF and the parts today to try it as soon as they arrive.
Anyone tried it earlier?
JaapDub is offline Find More Posts by JaapDub
Last edited by JaapDub; Sep 13, 2012 at 03:41 PM.
Old Aug 14, 2012, 01:51 PM
Fly Fast, Fly Hard, Fly Fun
Canada, BC
Joined Apr 2012
1,498 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaapDub View Post
What do you think of this idea? Could this be a heavy lifter for more video equipment?
If its possible to fly a V911 + V929 combined (the Cortle), both binded and listening to one TX it should be possible to fly two V929s together.
I made this design based on two stock V929s with only two extra mainframes ($1.05 each from BG) and some CF 3x3 beam needed.
My idea is to run the two sets of four rotors on the two pcbs, each with its own lipo.
I ordered one extra V929 BNF and the parts today to try it as soon as they arrive.
Anyone tried it earlier?
Cool Drawings!
My first thought is that the non-centre location of the 2 boards could cause some confusion between the 2 gyros.
rexless is online now Find More Posts by rexless
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 14, 2012, 01:55 PM
┌∩┐(⋟﹏⋞)┌∩┐ The FAA
United States, GA, Cornelia
Joined Jan 2012
1,229 Posts
I ha a problem yesterday evening.. I was doing some rolls with the quad in the back yard and went to do a right side roll, and when the quad went upside down, it lost power, and when I picked it up i noticed that the light was blinking slow.. So I lost connection to the quad.. I unplugged it then plugged it back in and it wouldn't bind to my TX, then I looked at my TX and the LCD was not showing anything.. But the LEDs at the top were lit. I tried changing to new batts but alas, my TX is still down.. Any ideas??
nightfox7 is offline Find More Posts by nightfox7
Old Aug 14, 2012, 01:55 PM
Sir Crashalot
Joined Oct 2011
2,261 Posts
Quote:
Anyone tried it earlier?
I see no reason why it shouldn't work. Might be a good flipper too.
Old Aug 14, 2012, 01:57 PM
The Netherlands
Joined Jan 2012
110 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rexless View Post
Cool Drawings!
My first thought is that the non-centre location of the 2 boards could cause some confusion between the 2 gyros.
That's good input! Perhaps better to mount them both, on top of each other somewhere in the middle. Let me think about it...
Thanks!
JaapDub is offline Find More Posts by JaapDub
Old Aug 14, 2012, 01:58 PM
Sir Crashalot
Joined Oct 2011
2,261 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfox7 View Post
I ha a problem yesterday evening.. I was doing some rolls with the quad in the back yard and went to do a right side roll, and when the quad went upside down, it lost power, and when I picked it up i noticed that the light was blinking slow.. So I lost connection to the quad.. I unplugged it then plugged it back in and it wouldn't bind to my TX, then I looked at my TX and the LCD was not showing anything.. But the LEDs at the top were lit. I tried changing to new batts but alas, my TX is still down.. Any ideas??
Do you have a v911 tx to try to bind w/ the v929? Try it to see if you can at least determine if it's the tx or the v929 at fault.
Old Aug 14, 2012, 02:35 PM
Australia
Joined May 2011
560 Posts
Quote:
That's good input! Perhaps better to mount them both, on top of each other somewhere in the middle. Let me think about it...
Thanks!
Stacking the boards would be the only way to do it. What might bite you in is the position of the motors. Being that it is designed for X mode you need the motors in this exact configuration.
Maybe you could get around this by making it an X 8 config. Mount motors on top and bottom of each other. Reverse the polarity on those one that need to spin the correct way. They are only brushed motors. This may work.
Re the PCB boards you will also have to mount them as close to one and other as possible. I think the more they are sandwiches closer together so they act like one physical board the better they will work.
Soupbones is offline Find More Posts by Soupbones