HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 25, 2012, 02:26 AM
Joined May 2006
101 Posts
Discussion
What's next after V911?

So I'm ready for the next step, but first let me tell you about my rc heli experience.

Back in the early 90's (before I had an internet) I got myself a Kyosho Concept 30 DX with zero knowledge about the hobby, without researching and talking to people who's in the hobby. All I know was ever since childhood I've always wanted an RC helicopter. All I did and learn with that .30 nitro was to hover (tail-in) 1 or 2 feet from the ground as I'm afraid I'll crash it if I go beyond hovering. Then one day, I attempted to hover nose-in while I was sitting on a lawn table when suddenly my heli moves forward towards me, out of panic, I pushed the cyclic stick forward since my instict told me to move my heli away from me. Well, the rotor blade together with the metal paddle bar busted my knee. It cut through my jeans and into my flesh. The rotor head was dismantled as after hitting my knee, it hit the table, then hit the ground. Needless to say, I wasn't able to walk straight for a couple of days and that was the last time my Kyosho flew.

Then in 2006, I saw RC helis on the internet and the heli bug bit me again so I bought an Esky Boney Bee II FP, this time with research and help with this forum. I was able to hover tail-ins and nose-ins, forward flights & circles BUT I crash a lot that it's starting for this heli to be included in my weekly budget so I decided to give this hobby a rest.

Up until December last year, I can't resist not to buy this 3.5 channel Protocol Predator that I saw at Marshall's.

I can't believe how stable this cheap little thing fly, pretty sturdy too but I got bored with it within a week.

So, seems like the heli bug is back, I checked the internet for some cool heli but this time I know I should start with a beginner's heli and that's how I got the Blade MCX2 to get the feel of a 4 channel heli while still have that flight stability of my 3.5 channel heli. It's a fun and boring heli at the same time .

Then through this forums also, I move on to V911 which is, for the first time I'm having more fun with this hobby. With this heli, I mastered all flight orientations, I am able to do figure 8's, obstacle courses, hover and land in a tomato can in all orientations, funnels, etc. Now, I fly every chance I can with this fun copter, before going to work, after work, before going to bed, while playing with my kids, etc. I also bought a second heli in case one gets grounded, as I don't want the fun to end. I might order another one tomorrow .

However, for the past 3 days, I'm thinking of getting into a CP helicopter. I wanted a CopterX 250, but I know it is not a practical choice to learn CP as parts break easily compared to MCPX or Genius/Mini CP. I don't want to disappoint myself again with costly crashes.
Should I get the 120SR first or go straight to MCPX/Mini CP? How hard is the MCPX/Mini CP coming from a V911? Is there a learning curve from V911 to 120SR or is it the same level of experience? Please enlighten me.
Dimension7 is offline Find More Posts by Dimension7
to remove ads between posts
Old May 25, 2012, 04:44 AM
Australia, WA, Mandurah
Joined Apr 2012
260 Posts
I went to a 120SR from about 2 weeks of a co-ax and didn't have too many problems. Lack of confidence was my biggest hurdle at first, I wasn't game to punch it up through the ground effect zone, once I did that I was ok. I never got fantastic at it, but the desire to fly a bigger CP bit me and I am now going down that path. I found the 120SR a bit small for outside, too hard to see when it moves away. I haven't flown a CP yet, but hopefully I can do it without too much damage.
Angrydad is offline Find More Posts by Angrydad
Old May 25, 2012, 07:53 AM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2010
6,166 Posts
The 120SR will not add much to your learning curve. You should either go CP straightaway. If you want an intermediate step, I suggest that you look at the MSRX and Walkera Super FP.
zadaw is online now Find More Posts by zadaw
Old May 25, 2012, 09:42 AM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,463 Posts
The 120SR has considerable movement authority compared to a V911 and is bigger. But, it's still a self-stabilizing micro. If you live in the USA, Walkera has discontinued the Genius, so you can pick up an Exceed rebadged version at xheli, cheap.
Balr14 is offline Find More Posts by Balr14
Old May 25, 2012, 08:12 PM
United States, CA
Joined Jan 2012
1,469 Posts
I got the Blade 120SR and quickly tired of it. Next, bought the Blade mcpx. It was a huge learning curve. It took two months of practice on the sim and heli to be able to hover in all orientations and fly circles. From that, I bought the Blade 450X. With the help of the mcpx I can easily fly the 450X. Get the mcpx.
J_skaggs is offline Find More Posts by J_skaggs
Old May 25, 2012, 09:26 PM
Joined May 2012
60 Posts
I think that you can get what you want, experience wise, from the 120SR. I'm working on it and the mSRx simultaneously. They are two different birds, but at this stage they are both great teachers. I'm working my way up to a Blade SR which I bought a month ago. That's as far as I plan to take the hobby at this point. By the way, all of my FP flying is outdoors, but I still use the co-axials in the house.
LOSTVENTURE is offline Find More Posts by LOSTVENTURE
Old May 30, 2012, 08:30 AM
Joined May 2006
101 Posts
Thank you all for your inputs! After researching, reading forums and lots of youtube videos, I've decided to take it slowly and will be getting the 120SR soon. I don't want to rush things that will probably end up in frustration.
Dimension7 is offline Find More Posts by Dimension7
Old Mar 29, 2014, 07:10 PM
Australia, QLD, Eumundi
Joined Mar 2014
6 Posts
I'm currently in the same situation. New to RC but have caught the bug! Having massive fun with my 2 new V911s and handful of lipos. But where to next? Would prefer to fly outside as wind permits. Grassed paddock about the size of a football field. Have been eyeing off the Blade mCXP BL but am concerned this may be too much of a leap. It's small mass appeals as it will inevitably have some less than perfect landings! Would a FP heli like the Blade 120 SR be better to learn on or is this just more of the same. A larger size heli would be easier to orientate outdoors but crashes might be costly. I have the new Spectrum DX6 transmitter on order. I would prefer a heli rather than a quad.
Flyte is offline Find More Posts by Flyte
Old Mar 29, 2014, 07:31 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,463 Posts
The 120SR is considerably advanced over a V911. But, it's a good next step, if you can find one.
Old Mar 29, 2014, 10:21 PM
Australia, QLD, Eumundi
Joined Mar 2014
6 Posts
So try the 120SR before a mCXP BL. Does anyone know of a decent flight sim for these models?
Flyte is offline Find More Posts by Flyte
Old Apr 01, 2014, 02:40 PM
Seahawks
United States, CA, Palm Desert
Joined Jan 2014
308 Posts
Nano QX quad. Get a Spektrum tx if serious. Fun inside & outside. Doesn't break easily and won't break things inside like the $1000 Big Screen.

BTW, Outta the 5-6 helis I've had in the 3 months I've been flying next to the Nano QX the v911 was the most FUN!! But I'm not a hardcore 3D er.

Thanks
Palm Desert Heli is offline Find More Posts by Palm Desert Heli
Old Apr 01, 2014, 02:45 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,463 Posts
Practice on a sim with the most difficult models to fly and easiest to see. There's not much point in practicing flying an easy heli or one that doesn't damage easily, on a sim.
Old Apr 01, 2014, 10:44 PM
United States, FL, Plant City
Joined Jan 2014
12 Posts
Phoenix is an awesome photo real sim that contains profiles (models) for most of the Blade models as well as Align and many others. The model and Tx setups are quite tweakable as are weather/wind conditions. Can be configured for coax, fp, cp, 3d..etc. It will do a wide range of fixed wing models as well.
pilotav is offline Find More Posts by pilotav
Old Apr 04, 2014, 07:32 AM
Italy, Emilia-Romagna, Modena
Joined Nov 2013
366 Posts
I was in the same position months ago: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...78&postcount=8
I recommend a HFP80, the HFP80FS version you can also fly with v911 TX
- http://www.massiverc.com/PrestaShop/...ompatible.html
eaman is online now Find More Posts by eaman