HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 25, 2012, 01:44 AM
United States, CA, Anaheim
Joined Mar 2002
39 Posts
Discussion
E-flight BL32 disassembly

Has anyone disassembled an E-flight BL32? I'm interested in machining the shaft from 5mm to 3.2mm and could use a little help with how the ends come off. Thanks
ufoDziner is offline Find More Posts by ufoDziner
to remove ads between posts
Old May 25, 2012, 06:31 AM
Jack
USA, ME, Ellsworth
Joined May 2008
17,012 Posts
This describes the process pretty well for a typical motor, you just need to figure out if your ends are glued on a screwed on:

http://www.maxxprod.com/mpi/tips2.html

The shafts on inrunners cannot be easily replaced and are too hard to be cut in a lathe with a single point cutting tool. You'll have to use an abrasive cutting process like a tool post grinder to take that down from 5mm to 3.175mm.

That 3.2mm you mention is wrong, there is no such shaft size commonly used in RC, it is actually 3.175mm or 1/8". Are you trying to fit a pinion gearor what?

Jack
jackerbes is offline Find More Posts by jackerbes
Old May 25, 2012, 10:36 AM
Joined Mar 2002
39 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackerbes View Post
This describes the process pretty well for a typical motor, you just need to figure out if your ends are glued on a screwed on:

http://www.maxxprod.com/mpi/tips2.html

The shafts on inrunners cannot be easily replaced and are too hard to be cut in a lathe with a single point cutting tool. You'll have to use an abrasive cutting process like a tool post grinder to take that down from 5mm to 3.175mm.

That 3.2mm you mention is wrong, there is no such shaft size commonly used in RC, it is actually 3.175mm or 1/8". Are you trying to fit a pinion gearor what?

Jack
Thanks for the reply Jack. I didn't notice any screws in the case, just a couple of crimp marks. So, I'm guessing it's glued.

Thanks for the heads up. I'll check with the shop to see if they have the machine to grind it.

That's my fault, I was rounding. The reason I want to grind it down is I can't fit a small enough gear to make me happy. 17t is the smallest I can find for a 5mm shaft, and I'd like something more like a 13.
Old May 26, 2012, 03:56 PM
Inspiration
United States, MI, Ann Arbor
Joined Aug 2011
888 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ufoDziner View Post
Thanks for the reply Jack. I didn't notice any screws in the case, just a couple of crimp marks. So, I'm guessing it's glued.

Thanks for the heads up. I'll check with the shop to see if they have the machine to grind it.

That's my fault, I was rounding. The reason I want to grind it down is I can't fit a small enough gear to make me happy. 17t is the smallest I can find for a 5mm shaft, and I'd like something more like a 13.
For inrunners,. there is usually one way to disassemble it, that is to remove the back plate. You can try heat the whole motor but aiming at the back plate, whether directly using flame or other heating method. Heat it to around 200 degree C, or a bit below, mornitoring using a laser thermometer. Be careful not to let the flame in contact with the outside wires. Normally, this should do no change or damage to the motor. Then you can wear a thick glove, holding the motor in hand, and gently punch the shaft towards the back plate.

I have disassembled several inrunners in this way, including a HET 700-98 935Kv motor. In this way, no damage at all in seen in the wirings or magnets. But, normally the backplate bearing is damaged, which you need to change for a new one. The front bearing usually survives.

I did the disassembling for bearing change. In your case, i think it may not be a good idea to modify the shaft, since you stand a chance to damage the rotor magnets or damage the balance of the rotor. If so, it would be a disaster.
modisc is offline Find More Posts by modisc
Old May 26, 2012, 11:41 PM
Joined Mar 2002
39 Posts
modisc,
Thanks for the thorough reply. I'm thinking I'll wait until the motor needs a bearing replacement to try this. I don't want to damage a brand new motor.
Old May 27, 2012, 12:03 AM
The Last Question
United States, UT, West Valley City
Joined Oct 2006
546 Posts
What mod pinion are you looking for?
Entropy76 is offline Find More Posts by Entropy76
Old May 27, 2012, 12:46 AM
Joined Mar 2002
39 Posts
I'm using 48p pinions. So, anything smaller than a 17t. Although my BEC fried today and took the speed control and servo with it. So, I think I'll just stick with 4S and keep a buffer. In which case the 17t is just fine.
Old May 27, 2012, 12:48 AM
Inspiration
United States, MI, Ann Arbor
Joined Aug 2011
888 Posts
Quote:
modisc,
Thanks for the thorough reply. I'm thinking I'll wait until the motor needs a bearing replacement to try this. I don't want to damage a brand new motor.
You are right. It maybe better that you just buy a new one with a 5mm shaft. You always stand a chance of damaging a motor, when you try to modify it.
modisc is offline Find More Posts by modisc
Old May 27, 2012, 01:53 AM
The Last Question
Joined Oct 2006
546 Posts
http://store.rc4wd.com/13T-48P-Pinio...5mm_p_601.html
Old May 27, 2012, 09:12 AM
Joined Mar 2002
39 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Entropy76 View Post
Wow, thanks! Your google must be better than mine!
Old May 27, 2012, 10:29 AM
The Last Question
Joined Oct 2006
546 Posts
Quote:
Wow, thanks! Your google must be better than mine!
LOL, I guess...I just searched for "48p 13t 5mm"

Anyway, what is this for? Just curious.
Old May 27, 2012, 11:17 PM
Joined Mar 2002
39 Posts
I'm using it in a 1/10 Stadium Truck. It has a larger wing on the back that added weight. So, this is how I'm compensating for that.