HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 24, 2012, 11:47 PM
Joined May 2012
5 Posts
Discussion
Removing Hollow shaft from Lama 400D

Hi all, I'm new to the RC world and already had a few crashes and repair and back in the air but today i had the worst crash since owning my Heli. I crashed so hard and fast that i need to replace the tail boom, fix a servo, and replace the Hollow shaft. I tried taking apart the hollow shaft but it not coming out. Granted the crash bent the hollow shaft almost in an L shape. I unscrewed the gears and the rest of the screws near the swash plate but its still not coming out. Am i missing something?
Krazydy is offline Find More Posts by Krazydy
to remove ads between posts
Old May 25, 2012, 08:19 AM
"whirlydude"
United States
Joined Sep 2008
1,508 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazydy View Post
Hi all, I'm new to the RC world and already had a few crashes and repair and back in the air but today i had the worst crash since owning my Heli. I crashed so hard and fast that i need to replace the tail boom, fix a servo, and replace the Hollow shaft. I tried taking apart the hollow shaft but it not coming out. Granted the crash bent the hollow shaft almost in an L shape. I unscrewed the gears and the rest of the screws near the swash plate but its still not coming out. Am i missing something?
Normally to remove the outer shaft you need to remove both the gears, and the servo pushrod links from the swashplate. Pull the upper rotor head with the inner shaft out of the outer shaft, then pull out the outer shaft.
When you've had a bad crash like that, and with that much damage check the helicopter over very good for broken parts. You may have damaged the frame also, but check it over good. I would disassemble the helicopter, but pay very good attention to where all the parts go so you know how it goes back together. The outer shaft (hollow) will have to slide through the 2 bearing blocks, lower rotor hub, collar, and the swashplate. If you can get the shaft out of the bearing blocks, then it's just a matter of sliding the rest of the parts off the lower part of the shaft. If the shaft doesn't slide out of the bearing blocks, then it may be easier to remove the bearing blocks from the frame. Some of the parts may not slide over a bent section in the shaft, so it would be best to cut the shaft if need be, then slide the parts off. Remember to check the set screws of the lower rotor hub, and the upper gear for being sheared off. You will need to pitch the blade holder for the lower rotor to remove the set screws in the lower rotor hub. Good luck, and if you need more help just ask away.
flyeraroo is offline Find More Posts by flyeraroo
Old May 27, 2012, 09:51 PM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
9,744 Posts
The established thread for this heli is here:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...93186&page=217

Stop in and see what's going on. Welcome.
kodak_jack is offline Find More Posts by kodak_jack
Old Jun 02, 2012, 06:39 PM
Joined May 2012
5 Posts
I was able to get it all out and replace it with a new shaft. The original hollow shaft was so bent it was very hard to take out but i was able to replace it and get my bird back up. Only issue is after replacing my gears with new ones I noticed by bottom gear had a nasty wobble and from the looks of it my motor that spins my top rotor's gear is bent making it wobble... which is not a bad thing because now I have to replace the motor so now I'm looking at RTF-Heli to get that Brushless motor upgrade.
Krazydy is offline Find More Posts by Krazydy
Old Jun 02, 2012, 08:02 PM
"whirlydude"
United States
Joined Sep 2008
1,508 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazydy View Post
I was able to get it all out and replace it with a new shaft. The original hollow shaft was so bent it was very hard to take out but i was able to replace it and get my bird back up. Only issue is after replacing my gears with new ones I noticed by bottom gear had a nasty wobble and from the looks of it my motor that spins my top rotor's gear is bent making it wobble... which is not a bad thing because now I have to replace the motor so now I'm looking at RTF-Heli to get that Brushless motor upgrade.
Make sure the set screw is hitting on the flat spot of the shaft. If it isn't sometimes your gear will wobble, but the lower gears are known to be warpped from the factory. I had 4 new lower gears, and they all wobbled, so it's probably not your motor.
flyeraroo is offline Find More Posts by flyeraroo