HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 24, 2012, 10:33 PM
Flagstaff, AZ
USA, AZ, Flagstaff
Joined Mar 2003
3,859 Posts
Discussion
New Video: Le Fish Light at Glider Hill, Coyote Hills Regional Park, Fremont, CA

Le Fish Light at Glider Hill, Coyote Hills Regional Park, Fremont, CA (2 min 10 sec)

Here is a video from a recent road trip to California. The flying site is Glider Hill at Coyote Hills Regional Park, located on the East side of the Bay near to the Dumbarton Bridge. There was a nice breeze; but the direction was too crosswind (NNW) to fly at the top of Glider HIll. I hiked down the left side of the bowl and found a spot with some decent lift. This is a perfect place to fly VTPR or Ultrabatics. It is so nice to have a smooth slope, steady sea breeze and nice soft grass.
dawsonh is offline Find More Posts by dawsonh
to remove ads between posts
Old May 24, 2012, 10:48 PM
FSD
Definite Flight Risk
Joined Apr 2008
2,678 Posts
It looks like California sea breezes and you get along just fine, thank you. Just beautiful.

I think you just took the points lead back...lol

-Paige
FSD is offline Find More Posts by FSD
RCG Plus Member
Old May 24, 2012, 10:52 PM
Livin ...The Endless Summer
United States, CA, San Juan Capistrano
Joined May 2011
7,165 Posts
Hi Dawson

Beautiful !!! Smooth and low with incredible FLOW...!!

It was a joy to watch. Thank you for posting it. It made my night!!

Im headin for a replay now...

Thanks again

Rubio
67econoline is online now Find More Posts by 67econoline
Old May 24, 2012, 11:24 PM
let's FLY!
United States, VT, Castleton
Joined Dec 2007
2,228 Posts
Mmmm, nice. Beautiful hill, beautiful flying, and Duane pickin' in the background. Nothing wrong with any of that.
JimZinVT is offline Find More Posts by JimZinVT
Old May 25, 2012, 12:08 AM
Stirring the pot
Port Elizabeth South Africa
Joined Jun 2008
4,019 Posts
Very, very nice Dawson!!!!
johannlochner is offline Find More Posts by johannlochner
Old May 25, 2012, 12:11 AM
Joined Feb 2007
703 Posts
I love it!. Thats my home hill. AND I want to build a LeFish! You have motivated me! I noticed your on the lower left saddle. I fly my Weasel just like that. In your face. Ask my buddies how they like it!
NorCal Hobbies is offline Find More Posts by NorCal Hobbies
Old May 25, 2012, 03:40 AM
Feeling FrSky
United States, CA, Santa Barbara
Joined Feb 2003
20,091 Posts
Really nice Dawson

I notice you went with a lower camera centering position - good call for the close in drags. That's always such a judgment call... I end up having a lot of drags just out of frame because I center the camera just slightly higher, so that the plane is more centered in the frame for further away flying. I guess the solution is to train myself to tilt my head down at the last moment, but it's so hard to drive the camera and fly the plane at the same time!

Anyways another beautiful piece, with great music like always. Thank you!

Steve
surfimp is offline Find More Posts by surfimp
RCG Plus Member
Old May 25, 2012, 07:29 AM
United States, FL, Indialantic
Joined Dec 2011
858 Posts
We've been missing your videos of late but figured that work and building the Big Bird have kept you occupied. Despite that, no evidence of "Rusty Thumbs" whatsoever! Beautiful everything.........

Pretty sweet how a sea breeze sends in clean smooth air you can rely on when flyng low, eh? Hope you and Steve have a great gettogether this weekend. Expecting some epic flying if the Wind Gods cooperate. Would love to see you two try some Pairs Ultrabatics.

Ken
Snewk is offline Find More Posts by Snewk
Old May 25, 2012, 11:39 AM
Flagstaff, AZ
USA, AZ, Flagstaff
Joined Mar 2003
3,859 Posts
Thanks for the positive responses. I love that place; wish I could fly it more often. It may be one of the best sites VTPR and Ultrabatics... nice combination of low angle slope and smooth laminar lift. As Steve reminded me; it is similar to the Le Fish spawning grounds; but now "off limits" Farren site in SB.

Here is an older video (Dec 2007) flying from the top of Glider Hill and a better (more typical) wind direction. The "mowed" winter grass was perfect for tip drags. I am flying an early version Le Fish (34-35 ounces)... more of a "big air" ship.

Le Fish at Coyote Hills, Fremont CA, 12-24-07 (5 min 44 sec)
dawsonh is offline Find More Posts by dawsonh
Old May 26, 2012, 12:34 AM
AMA 105167
United States, CA, Stockton
Joined Jan 2003
1,034 Posts
too bad, if I know you were up on "the Hill" that Wednesday ... I might have made the hike up ... I was out riding around in Newark over by Arden Park ... I'd love to been able to see you fly up close ... but, in my shape ... I'd probably had to stop about 20 times before I'd reach the top nowdays ... Thank Gawd I quit smoking ...
D_Dawg is offline Find More Posts by D_Dawg
Old Jul 31, 2014, 01:11 PM
Oakland California
Joined Jun 2004
39 Posts
Beauty of Flight on Coyote Hills!

I love the Acrobats video and took some time off yesterday to go fly on Glider Hill.
I did not find the rip your ears off wind conditions, but still a great day to fly and I brought a new toy a Crossover F3F. The plane is a smaller F3f style ship for all conditions and I flew it with about 300 grams of ballast ( which it didn't need).

Please come and fly more on this beautiful hill. Only drawback the California drought is eating away the softer grass and I had to land this ship on some dry scrub.
Slopeman is online now Find More Posts by Slopeman
Old Jul 31, 2014, 02:38 PM
Joined Jan 2008
63 Posts
Very Nice Dawson! As Always !
calvinalberto is offline Find More Posts by calvinalberto
Old Aug 01, 2014, 12:07 AM
Carlsbad, Ca
Joined Mar 2007
3,139 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slopeman View Post
...... Only drawback the California drought is eating away the softer grass and I had to land this ship on some dry scrub.
Not only the Drought eating away at the grass,....

....last weekend, the Shepard moved his sheep onto the Southside of Glider Hill, Little Glider Hill and the next Hill south (?). They destroyed the fennel (yeah!) and jsut mowed over all of the dry grass.
chip.greely is offline Find More Posts by chip.greely
Old Aug 03, 2014, 02:07 PM
Carlsbad, Ca
Joined Mar 2007
3,139 Posts
Same spot,...

....same style of flying,.....7yrs later!

...and the Buzz, le Fish, CrossOver all dig it!

Noted: In both of Dawson's videos, the fennel was nowhere to be seen. Now it dominates the West side of the slope. I'll see if I can get a bottom-up pix today
chip.greely is offline Find More Posts by chip.greely
Old Aug 03, 2014, 07:42 PM
United States, CA, Napa
Joined Dec 2010
273 Posts
I'd dig checking out coyote and your crossover. I have not flown there yet. Crossovers are definately on my wish list. How are you enjoying yours?

If you are interested, we have a couple f3f races coming up in Nor Cal.

Scott
Napa, CA
curdman is offline Find More Posts by curdman