HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 15, 2012, 02:02 AM
United States, MA, Mashpee
Joined Mar 2011
5 Posts
To All Who are still waiting for the hard deck to arrive ..
.This product is the best investment i have made in all my years in the hobby . Not only am I dealing with an incredible company , but to have this hard deck unit has boosted my confidance level to hieghts i couldnt imagine( above 50 ft that is) I have flown with it for 20 flights and without fail this product has performed well beyond my expectations... by checking my profile (helifreak same name)you will see I have had dozens of helis that have run the gamut of sorted gyros and various forms of stabilization . This by far, is the most effective (cost included) system i have ever used .
In short ... Its was WELL WORTH THE WAIT!!!!
Thanks Tim!! and all at FMA

David
capekod heli is offline Find More Posts by capekod heli
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 15, 2012, 06:35 AM
United States, MA, Mashpee
Joined Mar 2011
5 Posts
suggestion

after a good number of flights , my assesment of nothing short of amazing still stands for the hard deck .. i have " played " around with altitude hold and various hieghts of the deck and again found flawless function .
The one suggestion I have to those who are adding the hard deck to thier exisiting cp2 and flew with stabilization on, is to change the default setting from no to yes in prefrences concerning "stabilization above hard deck " as the default setting is off.
enjoy this extremly cool product !
capekod heli is offline Find More Posts by capekod heli
Old Oct 15, 2012, 08:11 AM
T-REX 250 -450-500-600-700G
ITALY, PAVIA
Joined Mar 2009
346 Posts
Thanks COPEKOD for the suggestion. My two units were dispatched and I hope they arrive soon to begin the tests. Currently I have to use at least 4 CII and many cases I have saved the helis. With CII I started doing some acrobatic maneuver slight tonneau looping type etc. I also use two HC and a DJI-H but the CII is super. Thanks to FMA to practice as a self-taught safely
I-FELN is offline Find More Posts by I-FELN
Old Oct 16, 2012, 05:51 PM
San Jacinto, California
Joined Jan 2004
440 Posts
Equip= Walkera 2801 pro transmitter & 2618v rx on a HK450tt model

Would like to install a cp2

Do I need to change the reciever out to a 2801pro rx (8ch)
the 2618v has only 4 chl
segdohbird is offline Find More Posts by segdohbird
Old Nov 06, 2012, 10:28 PM
Qatar
Joined Feb 2011
76 Posts
is all the tubing required?

Hello Howard,

I am intending to buy a hard deck --> to be installed in a fixed wing glider with prop in the front. The manual shows that the hard deck need to be installed with tubing etc (which makes it more complicated and less failure proof).
My question: If I install the hard deck module in the middle of the plane (not in a wing) - out of the wind - shielded by a canopy is then all the tubing required?

Thanks
bvuaemal
bvuaemal is offline Find More Posts by bvuaemal
Old Nov 07, 2012, 06:21 AM
USA, GA, Marietta
Joined Aug 2005
5,907 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bvuaemal View Post
Hello Howard,

I am intending to buy a hard deck --> to be installed in a fixed wing glider with prop in the front. The manual shows that the hard deck need to be installed with tubing etc (which makes it more complicated and less failure proof).
My question: If I install the hard deck module in the middle of the plane (not in a wing) - out of the wind - shielded by a canopy is then all the tubing required?

Thanks
bvuaemal
You could install the module anywhere you care. However the static pressure tube must be on the wing outboard of the prop wash. You would still need the tubing to connect the static pressure tube to the hard deck module.

Glen
ggcrandall1 is online now Find More Posts by ggcrandall1
Old Nov 07, 2012, 12:08 PM
President, FMA, Inc.
Joined Mar 2008
1,059 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggcrandall1 View Post
You could install the module anywhere you care. However the static pressure tube must be on the wing outboard of the prop wash. You would still need the tubing to connect the static pressure tube to the hard deck module.

Glen
Hi:

I'd like to second Glen's advice here and to add:

Do not attempt to utilize the Hard Deck Module without the provided Static Pressure Tube mounted as Glen and the User Guide indicate. You will be disappointed with the results and you will likely crash your model this way because the altitude readings will not be accurate without this device installed. In the same way, we highly recommend against a heli installation that does not use the entire Static Streamer assembly which is also provided in the accessories pack.

Tim Marks
Tim Marks is offline Find More Posts by Tim Marks
Last edited by Tim Marks; Nov 07, 2012 at 08:13 PM.
Old Nov 12, 2012, 10:48 AM
Qatar
Joined Feb 2011
76 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Marks View Post
Hi:

I'd like to second Glen's advice here and to add:

Do not attempt to utilize the Hard Deck Module without the provided Static Pressure Tube mounted as Glen and the User Guide indicate. You will be disappointed with the results and you will likely crash your model this way because the altitude readings will not be accurate without this device installed. In the same way, we highly recommend against a heli installation that does not use the entire Static Streamer assembly which is also provided in the accessories pack.

Tim Marks
Glen/Tim,

Thanks for your advice. I hoped for the simple solution however will implement your advice and install the SPT.

Take Care
Bvuaemal
bvuaemal is offline Find More Posts by bvuaemal
Old Jan 17, 2013, 02:21 PM
CPII HD & PL8 beta tester
Aubrey, Texas
Joined May 2009
92 Posts
CoPilot II with Hard Deck Module??

Hi Guys,

Now that some time has pass since its release I would like to see more reports from pilots who have spent time using CoPilot II with the new Hard Deck Module. Likes and Dislikes welcome.

Thanks
Jack
Jack Doherty is offline Find More Posts by Jack Doherty
Old Jan 17, 2013, 10:08 PM
United States, FL, Kissimmee
Joined Jan 2012
1,095 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Doherty View Post
Hi Guys,

Now that some time has pass since its release I would like to see more reports from pilots who have spent time using CoPilot II with the new Hard Deck Module. Likes and Dislikes welcome.

Thanks
Jack
+1 I'm following very close all post related to CoPilot II with Hard Deck Module and I have an impression that users are really shy around here....

I received my order just a few days ago but I'm still wondering what to do first before I endeavor into setting it up on my helicopter....
czorzella is offline Find More Posts by czorzella
Old Jan 20, 2013, 10:58 AM
Aubrey, Texas
Joined May 2009
92 Posts
New to CoPilot II Hard Deck? Where to start......

Quote:
Originally Posted by czorzella View Post
+1 I'm following very close all post related to CoPilot II with Hard Deck Module and I have an impression that users are really shy around here....

I received my order just a few days ago but I'm still wondering what to do first before I endeavor into setting it up on my helicopter....
Hi czorzella,

I made a list of thing to do to setup CoPilot II Hard Deck and get started.

New to CoPilot II Hard Deck? Where to start......
---
First read the CPII manual: http://revolectrix.com/support_docs/item_1284.pdf
Then Read the Hard Deck Manual: http://revolectrix.com/support_docs/item_1416.pdf
---
Now Update CPII to version 2.41 (be sure the altimiter/HD module is not connected to CPII when doing this)
http://www.revolectrix.com/new_appli...software2.html
----
Now it is best that the helicopter is setup and flying correctly before installing CPII HD
---
Now remove Aileron servo or FBL pigtail from Rx
Now insert that pigtail into CPIIs SVO1 port
Now insert the CPII pigtail RCV1 into the empty Rx Aileron port
---
Now remove Elevator servo or FBL pigtail from Rx
Now insert that pigtail into CPIIs SVO2 port
Now insert the CPII pigtail RCV2 into the empty Rx Elevator port
---
Now remove Pitch servo or FBL pigtail from Rx
Now insert that pigtail into CPIIs SVO3 port
Now insert the CPII pigtail RCV3 into the empty Rx Pitch port (usually the Aux1 channel)
ญญญ---
The RCV4 pigtail is not used unless you are flying a helicopter that uses four servos on the swash
---
Now insert the CPII ON/OFF pigtail into an unused channel on the Rx (often Aux2 is used)
---
There are many pictures showing the CPII HD mounted on different helicopters at this site http://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=464355
---
Now mount the Main Sensor on the boom approximately 2/3 of the way back (often just in front of the horizontal fin
Now connect the Main Sensor pigtail to the CPII port labeled MAIN
---
Now mount the Vertical Sensor on the boom near the front, close to the frame
Now connect the Vertical Sensor pigtail to the CPII port labeled VERT
---
Now Mount the HD module on frame or boom so that the LED is visible during flight
Now mount the Weather Veining Static Pressure tube to boom supports
Now connect the tube to the HD module
---
Now run Quick Setup with the hand held programmer or BEST use the CPII display program because it display sep by step Help screens during the programing
http://www.revolectrix.com/new_appli..._software.html
---
Now best performed outside, turn CPII On
Now hold helicopter in the air and tilt foreward, backward, left and right and verify the swash plate is moving in the correct direcrtion
---
Now test the Altimeter by pinching and holding the static pressure tube and observe, via the hand held programmer, that the altitude shows a high reading and holds that reading as long as the tube is pinched.
Now when the tube is released the altitude reading should retun to near 0' reading
---
Now verify the green LED is lit when the remote is set to ON position
---
Now go to flight field
Now spool up the helicopter (NOTE: if you are flying a helicopter with a FBL system, wait until the skids have left the ground before turning CPII On)
Now ENJOY flying with the assistance of CoPilot II Hard Deck!!!
Note: if flying a helicopter with a FBL system it is recomended to turn CPII HD Off before the skids touch the ground when landing

Hope this helps,
Jack
Old Jan 20, 2013, 11:03 AM
United States, FL, Kissimmee
Joined Jan 2012
1,095 Posts
Hi Jack

This walkthrough is simply awesome. Thank you so much!
Hopefully I can sort this out for a maiden flight next weekend.

Carlos
czorzella is offline Find More Posts by czorzella
Old Mar 02, 2013, 11:05 AM
Aubrey, Texas
Joined May 2009
92 Posts
CPII HD 30' Hard Deck version?

Hi Guys,

Following is a quote form Tim Marks in regard to a lowered Hard Deck version for CPII HD. The altitude being tested is 30'.

"we have been testing a lower altitude on the HD and the test results have been encouraging. That testing will continue. "

"One thing that will speed up the process is if our beta testers can find good weather. If anybody has a way to dial up blue skies across the country over the coming weeks/months, feel free to help out there!"

Have a great weekend flying,
Jack
Old Mar 02, 2013, 11:35 AM
Aubrey, Texas
Joined May 2009
92 Posts
Video of 30' Hard Deck Testing:

Hi Guys,

Here are three videos of CPII HD testing at 30' altitude.

My camera is mounted on the top frame or highest point on a forklift which is 19' above the ground. Now how to use this location to get a very accurate indication of the lowest point reached during ER. The trees seen in the foreground are approximately 40' to 50' high. If the camera is 19' and the center line of the trees are 20'. The line of sight from camera to the center line of the trees forms a plane parallel to the ground that is 20' high. The only time the helicopter reaches 20' is if it drops below that plane.

The first video is the first flight I made with my Trex 550 at 30'.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=Soyray8gjmw

The second video is the second flight made with the Trex 550 at 30'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=FQTvkYUIbYA

The third video is flown with a 550e Raptor. It is setup with BeastX at the Sport setting and is equipped with slower, low end Spectrum servos. Hence considerably slower than my Trex 550 by comparison. The Trex 550 is equipped with an Align 3G FBL sytem.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=804Rt73Otdo

Also attaching a snapshot of the lowest ER seen on the videos which appeared to be a little less than 20' and the forklift used to mount the camera on to.

Hope you find this information entertaining and informative.

Jack
Old Mar 03, 2013, 02:55 AM
T-REX 250 -450-500-600-700G
ITALY, PAVIA
Joined Mar 2009
346 Posts
HD safe altitude

Hi Jack
Finally my suggestion to reduce the minimum safe elevation would be advised. That will allow to use HD on small helicopters and I think FMA will also have commercial advantages for this. I hope the new firmware will be released soon.
I have 7 Copilot II on my Heli and know it very well. Two have HD: one on a T-rex500 and one on a T-rex 600E, T-rex 500 is not confortable to fly over 50'
I'm not a commercial guy and in Italy the copilot is not well known, but I recommended it to all my friends and I had only thank-yous from them because they have learned to fly without suffer damage.
If FMA like I am also available to do the beta-tester.
Regards
Claudio
----------------------------- that I wrote (11-7-2012) on Helifreack forum after few HD test:
set minimun of 50' too high for small Heli.
I think many units have been delivered. There are no feedback yet. For the moment I'm trying with trex 500 the first unit. the second waiting. I repeat that the limit of 50 ' is too restrictive and precautionary given the reactivity of the system and the set, size of my Heli. I would agree reduce it. I repeat in my own risk: Revoletrix please unlock the program minimum set altitude and let us free deciding on the best environment.
Regards.
-------------------------------
I-FELN is offline Find More Posts by I-FELN
Last edited by I-FELN; Mar 03, 2013 at 01:11 PM.