HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 30, 2012, 08:14 AM
ancora imparo
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
6,874 Posts
The guys who own the Company and who design the products are active and prompt participants - and everyone is polite. Any one of these two is rare enough and would be a reason to be happy. Having both - what more could you ask for?

And at least one person from FMA seems to be on duty round the clock which is nice for those of us down under.

If you need info on the FMA chargers go elsewhere but this seems to be the active CoPilot thread at the moment.

John

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokey5159 View Post
Hi all,
Well I am happy to say, that very shortly I will be in possession of the CPII (Combo 3) and I am very excited. I have come back to the hobby after a self-inflicted hiatus, due to the pain caused by the fly/crash ratio, and the constant drain on my pocket.
When I saw this product my countenance lifted, and I have re-kindled my passion (not hard when the flame is lit) - and have a T-Rex 450 nearly completed (including Quark gyro), a Spektrum DX7s, and a stack of batteries.

I am wondering if this is the best site to keep up with the Revolectrix goss? I am already impressed with the sales people (Singapore) for their prompt service (please pass on) and what I have already read briefly about the Reps on this forum. So I would love to gain as much knowledge from the guys who know, and if this is the site to be - then so be it!
Cheers, Smokey...
jj604 is offline Find More Posts by jj604
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 30, 2012, 11:58 AM
Smokey
Joined Jun 2012
6 Posts
Hi there John,
That is good news - yes, I've done a bit more reading in other forums and the consensus is the same. I'll hover around this site, and try to add and not detract from the cudos.
By the way - I note in the manual, they speak of future additions, and prospects of add-ons etc. I wonder if FMA are toying with an idea that I noticed in a product today. The company shall remain nameless - but the "APS" gyro system was amazing. It had semi-autonomous take off / Landing, auto flight multiple waypoint settings, point to point automatic flights and autonomous return home.
It also had an outrageous price tag! But imagine if these capabilities could be integrated into this system - how cool would that be!!
Anyway, I have enough to manage and learn when my CPII system arrives - we shall see what the future brings I guess.
Paul.
Smokey5159 is offline Find More Posts by Smokey5159
Old Jun 30, 2012, 04:46 PM
USA, TX, Aubrey
Joined Nov 2005
14 Posts
Quote:
Hi all,
Well I am happy to say, that very shortly I will be in possession of the CPII (Combo 3) and I am very excited. I have come back to the hobby after a self-inflicted hiatus, due to the pain caused by the fly/crash ratio, and the constant drain on my pocket.
When I saw this product my countenance lifted, and I have re-kindled my passion (not hard when the flame is lit) - and have a T-Rex 450 nearly completed (including Quark gyro), a Spektrum DX7s, and a stack of batteries.

I am wondering if this is the best site to keep up with the Revolectrix goss? I am already impressed with the sales people (Singapore) for their prompt service (please pass on) and what I have already read briefly about the Reps on this forum. So I would love to gain as much knowledge from the guys who know, and if this is the site to be - then so be it!
Cheers, Smokey...
Hi Smokey,

I am one of the beta testers for the CoPilot II and HD module. I think you will be pleased with the CoPilot II system especially with the addition of the hard deck module.

This is a good thread to keep in touch with. There are also other forums that have good threads on this topic. A lot of good information at the following site also. http://www.helifreak.com/forumdisplay.php?f=180

The people at FMA and all the beta testers will be glad to help you in any way we can as well as many current owners of CoPilot II. We all try to monitor the forums and help out where we can.

Sincerely
Jack Doherty

p.s. I was the pilot flying the helicopter and airplane in the videos posted earlier in this thread.
jdd1 is offline Find More Posts by jdd1
Old Jun 30, 2012, 08:28 PM
Static Model Collector LOL
Katy, TX
Joined Dec 2009
1,448 Posts
Howdy Jack,

I've been using Co-Pilot II for a few years now, all thanks to our Good Friend NightFlyr.

Anyhow looking forward to the HD Module, to use as a training tool

Any chance you gonna shoot some close up video of the unit in action, would be great to see up close how the unit snaps back to level flight once it hits the hard deck

Flight from earlier today, before the storm blew in

FMA Co-Pilot II
Parkzone P51 Mustang
55% gain on Pitch
45% gain on Roll

Using the CP to stabilize the plane when I'm way up high

6 30 12 P51Mustang (4 min 52 sec)

FCA
FLAME747 is offline Find More Posts by FLAME747
Old Jul 01, 2012, 09:58 AM
USA, TX, Aubrey
Joined Nov 2005
14 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLAME747 View Post
Howdy Jack,

I've been using Co-Pilot II for a few years now, all thanks to our Good Friend NightFlyr.

Anyhow looking forward to the HD Module, to use as a training tool

Any chance you gonna shoot some close up video of the unit in action, would be great to see up close how the unit snaps back to level flight once it hits the hard deck

Flight from earlier today, before the storm blew in

FMA Co-Pilot II
Parkzone P51 Mustang
55% gain on Pitch
45% gain on Roll

Using the CP to stabilize the plane when I'm way up high

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOPxR...e_gdata_player

FCA
Hi Flame,

WOW, those clouds do look bad. We had a beautiful day here, just north of Dallas. Good video.

We are putting together some more video that is zoomed in a little closer. Very hard to zoom in very close and keep the helicopter in view.

Several months ago I was doing some testing with the camera mounted on the helicopter with it facing the swash plate to see its movement. Go to my youtube site to see the speed of the recoveries.

Jack
Old Jul 02, 2012, 05:22 AM
Smokey
Joined Jun 2012
6 Posts
Co-pilot and FBL systems

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdd1 View Post
Hi Smokey,

I am one of the beta testers for the CoPilot II and HD module. I think you will be pleased with the CoPilot II system especially with the addition of the hard deck module.

This is a good thread to keep in touch with. There are also other forums that have good threads on this topic. A lot of good information at the following site also. http://www.helifreak.com/forumdisplay.php?f=180

The people at FMA and all the beta testers will be glad to help you in any way we can as well as many current owners of CoPilot II. We all try to monitor the forums and help out where we can.

Sincerely
Jack Doherty

p.s. I was the pilot flying the helicopter and airplane in the videos posted earlier in this thread.
Howdy Jack - thanks for the message.

Just a quick question or two if I may. Will the CPII system work with say the Align 3G Flybarless system?

This question probably will fall on deaf ears - does anyone know when the Hard-Deck add on will be out (have heard summer - winter where I am) and about what price to expect?
Thanks again...
Paul.
Old Jul 02, 2012, 09:11 AM
USA, TX, Aubrey
Joined Nov 2005
14 Posts
Quote:
Howdy Jack - thanks for the message.

Just a quick question or two if I may. Will the CPII system work with say the Align 3G Flybarless system?

This question probably will fall on deaf ears - does anyone know when the Hard-Deck add on will be out (have heard summer - winter where I am) and about what price to expect?
Thanks again...
Paul.
Hi Smokey,

Yes it does work with 3G. Both my Trex 500 and Trex 600 nitro are equipped with 3G FLB. The video of my flying are configured that way.

I am told they are trying to have it ready for release sometime in August.
Old Jul 02, 2012, 01:45 PM
Smokey
Joined Jun 2012
6 Posts
Quote:
Hi Smokey,

Yes it does work with 3G. Both my Trex 500 and Trex 600 nitro are equipped with 3G FLB. The video of my flying are configured that way.

Thanks Jack,
Could I trouble you with a brief description of how you set that up? Even a a photo would be great - if you had the time.
No pressure though.
Regards Smokey.
Old Jul 03, 2012, 11:30 AM
USA, TX, Aubrey
Joined Nov 2005
14 Posts
Setup on Trex 600 nitro:

Quote:
Thanks Jack,
Could I trouble you with a brief description of how you set that up? Even a a photo would be great - if you had the time.
No pressure though.
Regards Smokey.
Hi Smokey,

My setup on a Trex 600 nitro with Spektrum DX8 transmitter:

Spektrum-----------------CoPilot-------------------3G------------------------Servos
---In------------------------Out / In ----------------- Out------------------------ Out

Aileron <------------------- Svo 1 <---------------- Aileron <----------------- Aileron
Elevator <----------------- Svo 2 <---------------- Elevator <--------------- Elevator
Aux 1 <-------------------- Svo 3 <----------------- Pitch <------------------- Pitch
Svo 4 unused
Aux 3 <-------------------- Remote ON/OFF for CPII
Rudder <---------------------------------------------- Rudder <--------------- Rudder
Gear <------------------------------------------------- T/R gain/Gryo
Aux 2 <------------------------------------------------ Governor

Note: Channel 4 on CoPilot can be used for the T/R gyro gain if you are running out available cannels on you transmitter. Gyro gain can then be adjusted via the hand held programer or the CoPilot display software on a computer.

Just a suggestion, I find it easier to keep things straight in my mind if I start connecting the servos first, then the 3g, then the CoPilot II, then the receiver.

Hope this helps.
Jack
Old Jul 04, 2012, 06:22 PM
ft. worth
Joined Jul 2004
915 Posts
Revolectrix Co-Pilot 2 Hard Deck Module - Part 2 (4 min 22 sec)
philip frank is offline Find More Posts by philip frank
Old Jul 04, 2012, 09:22 PM
Smokey
Joined Jun 2012
6 Posts
Quote:
Hi Smokey,

My setup on a Trex 600 nitro with Spektrum DX8 transmitter:

Spektrum-----------------CoPilot-------------------3G------------------------Servos
---In------------------------Out / In ----------------- Out------------------------ Out

Aileron <------------------- Svo 1 <---------------- Aileron <----------------- Aileron
Elevator <----------------- Svo 2 <---------------- Elevator <--------------- Elevator
Aux 1 <-------------------- Svo 3 <----------------- Pitch <------------------- Pitch
Svo 4 unused
Aux 3 <-------------------- Remote ON/OFF for CPII
Rudder <---------------------------------------------- Rudder <--------------- Rudder
Gear <------------------------------------------------- T/R gain/Gryo
Aux 2 <------------------------------------------------ Governor

Note: Channel 4 on CoPilot can be used for the T/R gyro gain if you are running out available cannels on you transmitter. Gyro gain can then be adjusted via the hand held programer or the CoPilot display software on a computer.

Just a suggestion, I find it easier to keep things straight in my mind if I start connecting the servos first, then the 3g, then the CoPilot II, then the receiver.

Hope this helps.
Jack
Hi again Jack,
Thanks again for you help - that is fantastic!!
Just one adjunct if I possibly may. What's your take on fuselages and this system?I have a fuselage that I would like to place on the model. Would I still be able to use this system if I placed the two units obviously outside of the body?
Cheers, Paul (Smokey)
Old Jul 04, 2012, 11:18 PM
CPII HD & PL8 beta tester
Aubrey, Texas
Joined May 2009
92 Posts
Quote:
Hi again Jack,
Thanks again for you help - that is fantastic!!
Just one adjunct if I possibly may. What's your take on fuselages and this system?I have a fuselage that I would like to place on the model. Would I still be able to use this system if I placed the two units obviously outside of the body?
Cheers, Paul (Smokey)
Hi Paul,

Yes you can. The main sensor is easy, just attach it upside down under the fuselage and it would look just fine. The vertical sensor is a little more difficult to find a location that would look OK. If the fuselage has a horizontal fin on the boom then a small rectangle opening could be cut in it the size of the vertical sensor. The top edge of the vertical sensor could then slightly protrude through the opening and be for the most part out of sight.

Just a thought,
Jack
Jack Doherty is offline Find More Posts by Jack Doherty
Old Jul 08, 2012, 06:50 AM
Smokey
Joined Jun 2012
6 Posts
Quote:
Hi Smokey,

Hey there Jack,
Just wanted to glean some of your wisdom if I may...
I have been doing a fair bit of forum scanning re the whole FBL/CPII scenario, and I am beginning to think I should hold off on the idea. I have only come back into the hobby after a few years off, as I was paying out too much for repairs. The idea of having some kind of Auto-pilot to reduce the fly/crash ratio rekindled my interest. I was able to hover my 450 size heli quite well before, but I never progressed past that. I believe that controlling an FBL machine would probably require a fair bit of skill (as I'm led to believe the heli is more responsive), but I was interested in the idea, especially for Scale flying, which I am more interested in. It may pay me to learn how to manoeuver the machine with CPII first - so I get confident with moving around without the risk of crashing too much, and then install the Beastx FBL system later when ready.
I have also found it a bit confusing with regards to the combined set-up. There is lot of new info for me, with so much new technology from what I am used to.
However, I shall persevere and try to get my head around it all over time.
Thanks, Smokey...
Old Jul 08, 2012, 01:49 PM
CPII HD & PL8 beta tester
Aubrey, Texas
Joined May 2009
92 Posts
Quote:
Hey there Jack,
Just wanted to glean some of your wisdom if I may...
I have been doing a fair bit of forum scanning re the whole FBL/CPII scenario, and I am beginning to think I should hold off on the idea. [ Not necessarily IMO. I don't own a Beastx but feel certain it can be configured in a beginner, non aggressive manner that may even be more stable than a fly bar system. ]. I have only come back into the hobby after a few years off, as I was paying out too much for repairs. The idea of having some kind of Auto-pilot to reduce the fly/crash ratio rekindled my interest. [ CoPilot can certainly help with that. ] I was able to hover my 450 size heli quite well before, but I never progressed past that. I believe that controlling an FBL machine would probably require a fair bit of skill (as I'm led to believe the heli is more responsive), but I was interested in the idea, especially for Scale flying, which I am more interested in. It may pay me to learn how to manoeuver the machine with CPII first - so I get confident with moving around without the risk of crashing too much, and then install the Beastx FBL system later when ready.
I have also found it a bit confusing with regards to the combined set-up. There is lot of new info for me, with so much new technology from what I am used to.
However, I shall persevere and try to get my head around it all over time.
Thanks, Smokey...

Hi Smokey,
Really don't think you would go wrong starting with the Beastx installed. Especially if you have an experienced pilot to help you with the test flights after setup.

If you have not checked into the Revolectrix site then I suggest you do so. There is a lot of good information there in regard to setup of CoPilot.

http://www.revolectrix.com/

http://www.revolectrix.com/new_appli...t07.05.12.html

http://www.revolectrix.com/cp2_description_tab.htm

http://www.revolectrix.com/CPII_Tour_1.htm

Jack
Jack Doherty is offline Find More Posts by Jack Doherty
Old Jul 16, 2012, 05:04 PM
President, FMA, Inc.
Joined Mar 2008
1,059 Posts
Hard Deck Unveiled

Hi: