HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old May 24, 2012, 02:25 PM
Ain't Nothing but a Peanut
drewwrx's Avatar
Lewes, DE
Joined Mar 2010
284 Posts
Question
Hyperion stored in package for 2 years still good?

I bought a Hyperion 3.7v 160mah 25c battery two years ago and never took it out of its original packaging. I am ready to use it now but was wondering if it is still good? I'm not sure what voltage it was stored at for two years because I don't know what voltage Hyperion sends their batteries out at. Anything special I need to do with it?

Drew
drewwrx is offline Find More Posts by drewwrx
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old May 24, 2012, 02:34 PM
Registered User
Beckler's Avatar
NB Canada
Joined Apr 2008
467 Posts
The 3 Hyp 3S packs I have were all at 50% when I bought them. What voltage is yours at now?
Beckler is offline Find More Posts by Beckler
Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2012, 02:57 PM
Ain't Nothing but a Peanut
drewwrx's Avatar
Lewes, DE
Joined Mar 2010
284 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckler View Post
The 3 Hyp 3S packs I have were all at 50% when I bought them. What voltage is yours at now?
I'll have to check I have a voltmeter coming in tomorrow. What should I be looking for for the voltage on this?
drewwrx is offline Find More Posts by drewwrx
Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2012, 03:42 PM
Registered User
Beckler's Avatar
NB Canada
Joined Apr 2008
467 Posts
What I've read is that if cell voltage is less than 3.3V no load, then charging isn't recommended.
Beckler is offline Find More Posts by Beckler
Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2012, 09:19 PM
Registered User
ggcrandall1's Avatar
USA, GA, Marietta
Joined Aug 2005
5,910 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewwrx View Post
I'll have to check I have a voltmeter coming in tomorrow. What should I be looking for for the voltage on this?
LiPo cells are shipped at 3.85V or very close to that. If your battery reads close to that and it takes about 80ma when you charge it, then it is probably good.

Glen
ggcrandall1 is offline Find More Posts by ggcrandall1
Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2012, 09:25 PM
Registered User
Joined May 2012
1 Posts
Is this a G3 25C pack?

It definitely won't have the power that it 'would' have vs. brand new, but try it out. You will have to do a few (5+ cycles) at low charging levels to wake them up before you thrash them.
zeropointbug is offline Find More Posts by zeropointbug
Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2012, 10:39 PM
Southern Pride
everydayflyer's Avatar
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,839 Posts
Not al are the same but a few months ago I assmeble some Hyperion 25C bare 240 mAh cells which I had purchased two years prior in to 2S packs for my EFlite Beast and a last week a few of them as 1S packs for my Blade mCPX. I also purchased 5 new Hyp. 240 cells for use in the mCPX. I can tell not difference in any of these cells during CBA graph test or during flying.

Charles
everydayflyer is offline Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2012, 11:46 AM
Registered User
Delton,Mi
Joined Jun 2009
133 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by everydayflyer View Post
Not al are the same but a few months ago I assmeble some Hyperion 25C bare 240 mAh cells which I had purchased two years prior in to 2S packs for my EFlite Beast and a last week a few of them as 1S packs for my Blade mCPX. I also purchased 5 new Hyp. 240 cells for use in the mCPX. I can tell not difference in any of these cells during CBA graph test or during flying.

Charles
Hey Charles, when you test batteries on your CBA do you use a 1c discharge rate. Like a 1300 3cell battery do you discharge it at 1.3 amps?
Speeddaddy is offline Find More Posts by Speeddaddy
Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2012, 03:55 PM
Ain't Nothing but a Peanut
drewwrx's Avatar
Lewes, DE
Joined Mar 2010
284 Posts
Got my volt tester. The two year old hyperion (3.7v 160mah 25c G3) is at 3.74v. You guys don't think it will have the power of a brand new one ever again?
drewwrx is offline Find More Posts by drewwrx
Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2012, 04:25 PM
Frankenstein recycled packs
rampman's Avatar
USA, AZ, Gilbert
Joined Jan 2006
8,847 Posts
Did you not read Charles' post? EDF, what is that acronoum you came up with for this?

Rick
rampman is offline Find More Posts by rampman
Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2012, 04:41 PM
Ain't Nothing but a Peanut
drewwrx's Avatar
Lewes, DE
Joined Mar 2010
284 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rampman View Post
Did you not read Charles' post? EDF, what is that acronoum you came up with for this?

Rick
Rick,

I just saw that one person said it will not have the power and one person said it would. I just thought that my volt reading might have given enough info to tell maybe. Anyway, I'll just try it out and see.

Drew
drewwrx is offline Find More Posts by drewwrx
Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2012, 06:43 PM
Frankenstein recycled packs
rampman's Avatar
USA, AZ, Gilbert
Joined Jan 2006
8,847 Posts
Volts is only how full the gas tank is. The unknown at this time is how big the tank is and how fast the hole (amps) will allow the gas (voltage) to flow out of the tank.
Confused? Good. :P Charge them, fly them and report how they do. My $$$ says better than your used cells.
I have heard before that there is a chemical reaction that has to happen and it takes a few cycles to activate the cells; hense a break-in of 3 to 5 cycles to get them up to max performance. This is to have better shelf life than a cell cycled a few times and stored.... or so the rumor goes...

Rick
rampman is offline Find More Posts by rampman
Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2012, 07:00 PM
Ain't Nothing but a Peanut
drewwrx's Avatar
Lewes, DE
Joined Mar 2010
284 Posts
Rick, I just flew it for the first time and my Hobbyzone Champ flew great. It had alot of climb power. I had to cut the flight short due to wind but so far so good!
drewwrx is offline Find More Posts by drewwrx
Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2012, 07:52 PM
Southern Pride
everydayflyer's Avatar
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,839 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speeddaddy View Post
Hey Charles, when you test batteries on your CBA do you use a 1c discharge rate. Like a 1300 3cell battery do you discharge it at 1.3 amps?
IMO a 1C discharge would not really tell us much unless you do in fact get 1 hour flights. Three C is about where I normaly start at then I most often go up to 60% plus of the LiPoly cont. C rating as long as it holds voltage fairly well, do not get to hot and delicvers reasonable capacity.

A recent test fromn the Battery graph vault of small LiPOlys ( mCPX class).

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1643704

Charles
everydayflyer is offline Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2012, 11:04 PM
Registered User
Delton,Mi
Joined Jun 2009
133 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by everydayflyer View Post
IMO a 1C discharge would not really tell us much unless you do in fact get 1 hour flights. Three C is about where I normaly start at then I most often go up to 60% plus of the LiPoly cont. C rating as long as it holds voltage fairly well, do not get to hot and delicvers reasonable capacity.

A recent test fromn the Battery graph vault of small LiPOlys ( mCPX class).

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1643704

Charles
Thanks Charles, I also notice you cut them off at 3.30 volts per cell
Speeddaddy is offline Find More Posts by Speeddaddy
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion new engines stored for 30 years ltc Engines 8 May 18, 2012 10:46 PM
For Sale Brand new unassembled msrx & mqx still in original packages B dog Aircraft - Electric - Helis (FS/W) 4 Feb 10, 2012 11:35 PM
Discussion New Hobby store in CA, prices seems good on parts 11dmss Electric Plane Talk 4 Jan 19, 2012 05:09 AM
Sold New-Still in Package- Hacker X-40 40a Brushless ESC ptflyer Aircraft - Electric - Power Systems (FS/W) 3 Jan 16, 2012 07:38 PM
Discussion 10 stimulus packages in 8 years ... a decade lost. logan5 Life, The Universe, and Politics 3 Nov 04, 2011 10:25 AM