HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 24, 2012, 11:28 AM
Joined Jan 2012
162 Posts
Idea
Use your laptop for fpv display

Don't say "no" to laptops for fpv

This solution will cost you 30$ - should work for all cameras also gopro without any need for settings!!!!

1 video out cable
1 video encoder like easycap, ezcap
2 Install its driver
3 install dvdriver works for all cameras
6 make shade
7 go fly fpv
8 capture video with free virtualdub

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7FqUdfs1UU

wingymaster is offline Find More Posts by wingymaster
Last edited by wingymaster; May 25, 2012 at 11:26 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 24, 2012, 01:57 PM
Euphoric flights
United States, NY, Fredonia
Joined Aug 2011
517 Posts
Why didn't your video show any thing like:
*the laptop
*the connector
*how to connect
*step by step screen grab etc...?

Also isn't a laptop harder to screen from glares versus a smaller screen/ goggles?

I have genuine interest, not being a prick
The laptop would skip dvr's and such just by screen recording so yeah, I'm for it.
GreenAce92_v2 is offline Find More Posts by GreenAce92_v2
Old May 24, 2012, 02:01 PM
United States, UT, Herriman
Joined Jan 2012
1,874 Posts
You probably need a TV encoder. Some laptops come with one built in, and there a lots of USB options. My MacBook Pro has the anti-glare screen that seems so rare these days, but in direct sunlight even that has some trouble. With some shade, it probably wouldn't be too bad. And if you already have one, it would be a lot cheaper than the goggles. And it can do the DVR part for you, as mentioned.
ttabbal is offline Find More Posts by ttabbal
Old May 24, 2012, 02:33 PM
..in a Johnny Cash voice.
Canada, NS, Beaver Bank
Joined Aug 2010
310 Posts
My 19" monitor was $20 off craigslist. My recorder was a free VCR but I've upgraded to a free DVD recorder.

I'm pretty sure the laptop solution is one of the better choices but for me I have to minimize the complexity and a laptop is a valuable tool but not reliable/simple enough yet.

The investment of time figuring out niggling driver issues and fine-tuning for me is better spent in designing/soldering/building/flying/crashing. For the tech guys this is probably simpler than a recorder/screen combo.

Any more details?
Vintabilly_NS is offline Find More Posts by Vintabilly_NS
Old May 24, 2012, 02:35 PM
Better then Sliced Bread!
United States, CA, Arcata
Joined Oct 2011
2,623 Posts
Laptops also have much more lag in the video signal, I did use my EZCap to record (until I got an OSD then it couldn't handle the sync signal), and though it recorded OK it was useless for live view.
NorCalMatCat is online now Find More Posts by NorCalMatCat
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Let'sFPV UBEC 1 WEEK SALE
Old May 24, 2012, 04:39 PM
Quad Whisperer
Joined Jul 2008
942 Posts
Depends on the capture software. I use EZCap and VLC video player. Very little delay, no problem to fly with.
kapteinkuk is offline Find More Posts by kapteinkuk
Old May 24, 2012, 04:40 PM
Quad lover.
Joined Dec 2011
853 Posts
Not a good idea for the primary monitor, fantastic for a backup monitor.
chaosdestro0 is offline Find More Posts by chaosdestro0
Old May 24, 2012, 05:02 PM
Joined Oct 2011
2,623 Posts
For my laptop it wasn't just delay, the entire LAPTOP was CPU % 90 to 100%, just trying to hit the start button was delayed, let alone the video, it would only show a new frame every 10 seconds or so :P.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 24, 2012, 05:33 PM
Resistance is Futile
United States, FL, Panama City Beach
Joined Oct 2001
2,680 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalMatCat View Post
For my laptop it wasn't just delay, the entire LAPTOP was CPU % 90 to 100%, just trying to hit the start button was delayed, let alone the video, it would only show a new frame every 10 seconds or so :P.
Nothing personal or anything but you get what you pay for. A USB video dongle is total junk IMHO. The reason they are so cheap is minimal hardware and all encoding is done in software. This is a resource hog and will give decidedly undesirable results as many have discovered thus the bad reputation of laptops/pc's for RC/FPV/UAV.

I have been using hardware encoders with 1394 (firewire) inputs on multiple laptops over a 10 year period ranging from total crap machines to bleeding edge and had zero lag on any of them much less stuttering performance of the machine itself.

If you wish to use a computer for flying.get a decent hardware video encoder and set the machine up as a dedicated device. Kill all the BS bloatware and services you don't need for the task. If you are an advanced user you can create your own version of Windblows with PE Builder (BartPE) or Nlite that has only the needed resources loading for the job or use one of the many flavors of LINUX.

Best of Luck,

Rob
camship is offline Find More Posts by camship
Old May 24, 2012, 05:37 PM
Joined Oct 2011
2,623 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by camship View Post
Nothing personal or anything but you get what you pay for. A USB video dongle is total junk IMHO. The reason they are so cheap is minimal hardware and all encoding is done in software. This is a resource hog and will give decidedly undesirable results as many have discovered thus the bad reputation of laptops/pc's for RC/FPV/UAV.

I have been using hardware encoders with 1394 (firewire) inputs on multiple laptops over a 10 year period ranging from total crap machines to bleeding edge and had zero lag on any of them much less stuttering performance of the machine itself.

If you wish to use a computer for flying.get a decent hardware video encoder and set the machine up as a dedicated device. Kill all the BS bloatware and services you don't need for the task. If you are an advanced user you can create your own version of Windblows with PE Builder (BartPE) or Nlite that has only the needed resources loading for the job or use one of the many flavors of LINUX.

Best of Luck,

Rob
Oh I agree with you :P Eventually I am going to get a nice hardware encoder, just not soon .
RCG Plus Member
Old May 25, 2012, 11:36 PM
Joined Jan 2012
162 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttabbal View Post
You probably need a TV encoder. Some laptops come with one built in, and there a lots of USB options. My MacBook Pro has the anti-glare screen that seems so rare these days, but in direct sunlight even that has some trouble. With some shade, it probably wouldn't be too bad. And if you already have one, it would be a lot cheaper than the goggles. And it can do the DVR part for you, as mentioned.

I attached some pics of my sun shade made of birch ply and hanging another black carboard tube right to the screen. Gives you amazing realistic show if you use pitch black inside
Last edited by wingymaster; May 26, 2012 at 12:20 AM.
Old May 26, 2012, 03:25 AM
Crashomatic
United States, CA, SF
Joined May 2010
2,043 Posts
Well, I don't agree. the ezCap is cheap and offers good quality capture. It's PAL/NTSC, and very, very decent.

But of course, you also need a decent laptop. Any recent laptop (not a crappy netbook) will encode your SD in real time. Recent means a couple years old. Yes, you gotta be in the shadow to watch the screen but psst.. so it is for every other screen, even the ones which do not have any reflection.

Decent laptop+ezCap+tshirt = cheap, good quality video+recording, granted that you have a decent laptop anyways.

If you don't, well, then you should pass.
CrashMeUp is offline Find More Posts by CrashMeUp
Old May 26, 2012, 02:24 PM
Joined Jan 2012
162 Posts
I have a eee pc with the smallest atom chip, windows 7 runs perfect, give me very small delay
Old May 26, 2012, 02:37 PM
Joined Oct 2011
2,623 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrashMeUp View Post
Well, I don't agree. the ezCap is cheap and offers good quality capture. It's PAL/NTSC, and very, very decent.

But of course, you also need a decent laptop. Any recent laptop (not a crappy netbook) will encode your SD in real time. Recent means a couple years old. Yes, you gotta be in the shadow to watch the screen but psst.. so it is for every other screen, even the ones which do not have any reflection.

Decent laptop+ezCap+tshirt = cheap, good quality video+recording, granted that you have a decent laptop anyways.

If you don't, well, then you should pass.
The EZCap is known to have sync issues under certain circumstances, mostly certain OSD's give off a strong sync signal that can confuse the EZCap, plus all encoding is done software, not hardware. It worked OK for recording for me until I got my OSD, then it just lost horizontal sync on the video.

The point is you get what you pay for, spend $6 for an EZCap and maybe get lucky, it worked for me for a little while, though the quality was always crap.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 26, 2012, 03:07 PM
Crashomatic
United States, CA, SF
Joined May 2010
2,043 Posts
there are various versions of the ezcap, never had a problem with mine. there are countless threads where to get a good one too.

as i said you need a decent laptop. software encoding ain't bad. encoding a SD stream doesn't actually require that much power AND you get to choose the quality (DVR's encoding quality generally isn't great, it's just OK. The usual "but its much nicer in the goggles!). Plus you can deinterlace (and even deshake) before encoding, saving on quality.
CrashMeUp is offline Find More Posts by CrashMeUp