Closed Thread
Old Sep 03, 2012, 12:51 AM
characters welcome!
United States, CA, Bear Valley Springs
Joined Feb 2000
26,454 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDSURFnGLIDE View Post
...and with a little coordination...everyone can fly in peace...
THAT, right there, is what I was hoping someone would say.

mw
Mark Wood is offline Find More Posts by Mark Wood
Last edited by Mark Wood; Sep 03, 2012 at 12:57 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 03, 2012, 12:56 AM
San Marcos, CA
Joined Aug 2009
2,866 Posts
Well, we been out there multiple times now and we will be out there in the next couple weekends, too - so far we flew with multiple gliders with no issues. Actually we had nice and good discussions with the "locals" flyers and there was a lot of interest in FPV.

I don't see an issue since it is public land (city-owned) and there is no established "club" on side which we could contact! I posted this event in related forums including the SoCal Forum and one in a Dave's Beach related thread .. so far I had only good feedback with no issues including a few slopers just coming by to check out the FPV event itself.

So I don't know whats your point with your comment - creating a problem where no problem is?

Btw, there is so much space and we will be probably more towards the dirt-road anyway - while most other flyers are at the concrete runway. Even we have probably a larger crowd, I don't see how we get in conflict with the "regular" flyers since our frequencies are limited and only a couple airplanes will be in the air at a time. Coordination is the keyword!

On a another note, we may need to move the event to September 29th - because there is a huge art-festival on the 22nd, too - and many streets are blocked or closed - meaning there will be issues with parking and accessing Dave's Beach from different directions.

I will call the city on Tuesday and check it out.
flyandi is offline Find More Posts by flyandi
Old Sep 03, 2012, 01:32 AM
characters welcome!
United States, CA, Bear Valley Springs
Joined Feb 2000
26,454 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyandi View Post
We...so far we flew with multiple gliders with no issues. Actually we had nice and good discussions with the "locals" flyers...
That was my only concern.

Quote:
So I don't know whats your point with your comment - creating a problem where no problem is?
Oh, good heavens no and most of the SD pilots that know me would be surprised that you would think so.

Quote:
Coordination is the keyword!
I heartily agree! My concerns stem from the fact that I read this entire thread without seeing any mention of cooperation with other groups that use the site. Nothing more, nothing less. Sounds like a cool event. If I still lived in the area it would be on my calendar.

mw
Mark Wood is offline Find More Posts by Mark Wood
Old Sep 03, 2012, 01:36 AM
Multi rotors=No Paycheck left
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Apr 2011
3,441 Posts
I think Andy has covered all his bases here....this should be a fun and safe event..can't wait!

On A side note....got my easy star set up for fpv...just have too actually fly it fpv now! Gonna be practicing in the next couple weeks...
SDSURFnGLIDE is online now Find More Posts by SDSURFnGLIDE
Old Sep 03, 2012, 02:13 AM
San Marcos, CA
Joined Aug 2009
2,866 Posts
I think I wrote it in the first post that there will be other flyers and that we need to be respectful to each other.

Sorry, I after reading my reply, I think that I was maybe a bit harsh :-|

Put it in your calender .. nice excuse to visit North San Diego County :-) You are not that far away :-)
Old Sep 03, 2012, 02:51 AM
United States, CA, Carlsbad
Joined Apr 2012
660 Posts
Hey guys...I can help police the traffic too. Don't plan on FPVing as I do t have a setup. Used Treggons stuff today and absolutely fell into it...was hooked. Getting the Christmas list ready early. Hopefully I have enough family members per part :-). Andy, you have my number so just let me know what you need from me.
TheMagician007 is offline Find More Posts by TheMagician007
Old Sep 03, 2012, 02:35 PM
Fly it, edit it, post it.
Joined Dec 2011
356 Posts
Mark Wood, I really appreciate your comments, I have been flying Dave's Beach a bunch lately, and have been trying to work well with the locals, taking them up for flights and such. I could tell we were bugging them a bit when we were all set up with all our gear right on the cliff edge. Hell, when wanted to set up for landing, it's pretty hectic when the entire asphalt area is filled with people.

I was getting at the 'field etiquette' comments above in my posts. Basically, the locals biggest problems seem to be large groups right on the cliff edge, because when they are flying un-powered gliders, they have to come down and work the edge. I think a good bit of 'coordination' would be to have the dedicated 'pit area' so that groups are congregating in one place, so the other pilots don't have to avoid the entire cliff edge. This should be on the asphalt area. The locals seem to want the gear stashed on the fence line, and approach the cliff edge when flying. I say we play by their rules, and we will minimize problems. These guys are there every day, and we should show them respect. They are all really cool guys, and really good glider pilots.

Chris, you flew so well man, you need a setup, you will never regret it; and I want to FPV your FA18 Blue Angel jet so bad it hurts.
tregtronics is offline Find More Posts by tregtronics
Last edited by tregtronics; Sep 03, 2012 at 02:38 PM. Reason: Adding some comments
Old Sep 03, 2012, 02:45 PM
San Marcos, CA
Joined Aug 2009
2,866 Posts
++ date change ++ date change

the event is now on the 29th of september due to an conflict with another event!!!
Old Sep 03, 2012, 07:21 PM
Joined Jan 2005
5,356 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyandi View Post
the event is now on the 29th of september due to an conflict with another event!!!
If that's the case, come down to SEFSD next to Sea World. ScrtSqrl and I will be giving a presentation to the local club down there. We're trying to spread the word down here and place FPV in good standing with the locals.

Make sure you have SEFSD send out the new flyer when you get a chance. Everyone on the mailing list has the old date.
typicalaimster is online now Find More Posts by typicalaimster
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: I was bored
Old Sep 03, 2012, 08:54 PM
Joined Dec 2011
356 Posts
On the 22nd?

Kyle and I had a fun time, ran out to the Tuna boat off Dave's Beach this PM. Super far away, how far would you say that was Kyle?
Old Sep 03, 2012, 09:51 PM
Multi rotors=No Paycheck left
Joined Apr 2011
3,441 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tregtronics View Post
On the 22nd?

Kyle and I had a fun time, ran out to the Tuna boat off Dave's Beach this PM. Super far away, how far would you say that was Kyle?
It was probably about half a mile at least....but it was definitely out of LOS..
SDSURFnGLIDE is online now Find More Posts by SDSURFnGLIDE
Old Sep 04, 2012, 09:50 PM
United States, CA, San Marcos
Joined Jul 2012
267 Posts
Ill be there... I hope...
pilotavery is offline Find More Posts by pilotavery
Old Sep 05, 2012, 05:02 PM
FPV in Hawaii
United States, HI, Kailua
Joined Feb 2012
2,338 Posts
Anyone in San Diego going flying tomorrow?

I'm an airline pilot and an obsessed FPV'er. I just got called to fly a trip to San Diego tonight. I will be there all day tomorrow, Thursday 6th, looking for something to do. Does anyone have plans to go flying tomorrow? If so, do you want a spotter? I'd love to tag along and see a new flying site and another FPV rig.
iskess is offline Find More Posts by iskess
Old Sep 05, 2012, 05:09 PM
Joined Jan 2005
5,356 Posts
If you stop by SEFSD next to Sea World there is always a group of folks down there flying. Just usually not via FPV.
typicalaimster is online now Find More Posts by typicalaimster
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: I was bored
Old Sep 12, 2012, 12:49 AM
Joined Dec 2011
356 Posts
FPV'd Dave's beach today again with Otto, testing 900 MHz, 1.2 GHz, and 1.3 all transmitting at the same time on the cliff just to simulate us all together.....

I had some interactions, but I eventually was able to get them all running together with some optimization, and spreading out of my base stations, and keeping the transmitters away from the receivers. A 1.5W transmitter turned on right next to a ground station will really nuke a signal from a plane in the air. I did this with a 900 MHz transmitter in the air, operating at the lowest frequency available, and found massive interactions when I turned on the 1.3 GHz within the immediate area. Maybe this is an issue, maybe not, but I think we need to be careful.

Otto and I also got the FlyGuy up, and we should have a couple flyguys just for fun at the fly in for some comic relief. Here is Green Lantern playing today at Dave's between FPV's. We stopped some traffic.
Closed Thread