SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 03, 2003, 07:43 PM
Fresno, CA
Joined May 2002
283 Posts
GWS A10-with EDF 55's a bit heavy.

I finally got around installing the new EDF 55's on my A10. After installing them I noticed that it was a little bit more heavy than with the EDF 50's. What would be the appropriate CG with dual 350's on the A10? It seems that it is a bit tail heavy now. I install a 2s2p Etech 1200 and overall the A10 (I think) is heavy. I don't have a scale to weight it, but it feels heavier.

I am affraid to maiden it being a bit heavy. I am not sure if it will take off.

What do guys think?.......Mr. Lin, what would be the appropriate Center of Gravity for an A10 with the new EDF 55's?

Any replies or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

jj
CooLJ92 is offline Find More Posts by CooLJ92
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 03, 2003, 07:51 PM
MEDIC!!!!!!!
Near Fresno, California
Joined Sep 2002
1,741 Posts
The appropriate CG would be the same place as with the EDF50's; however, you're going to have to move some stuff forward to achieve it....
roguewolf is offline Find More Posts by roguewolf
Old Nov 03, 2003, 07:53 PM
Fresno, CA
Joined May 2002
283 Posts
Battery

Will the dual EDF 55's be able to handle a 3s2p of 1200 etechs? I know this was not possible with the EDF 50's.

Any comments?

jj
Old Nov 03, 2003, 08:29 PM
MEDIC!!!!!!!
Near Fresno, California
Joined Sep 2002
1,741 Posts
The GWS website is showing 10.8 volts in red...which I would imagine is a bad thing http://www.gws.com.tw/english/produc...stem/edf55.htm

Since the 3S2P pack will be a little over 11 volts, I don't think the motors would last long

You may want to consider 7-8 cell KANs, shoving the heavier KANs forward would help with rebalancing the CG back to the stock location anyway
Old Nov 03, 2003, 09:02 PM
Oxford, Alabama USA
Joined May 2001
641 Posts
I flew my EDF55 on 3s2p etec 1200's, and it does very well. I posted earlier on the flight, and provided a link to a video.
jimmyray is online now Find More Posts by jimmyray
Old Nov 03, 2003, 10:34 PM
Fresno, CA
Joined May 2002
283 Posts
sierra aardvark,

The data sheet on the link you provided is only for one EDF 55. Does this mean the data applies to two EDF 55's hooked up to one ESC?

I know the motors lives will not last long with this battery set up, but I am going to chance it. There is more thrust, which I like. I'll try not to fly it at full throttle once airborne. For sure, I will use full throttle for take of and then decrease throttle once I get airborne.

I'll keep you posted

Thanks for the link and suggestions.

jj
Old Nov 04, 2003, 07:31 AM
MEDIC!!!!!!!
Near Fresno, California
Joined Sep 2002
1,741 Posts
JJ,
I thought about that wiring question this morning when I got up....and here it is. No, I really don't know whether the EDF's are wired in series or parallel.

Where do you fly?, I'm just up the road (Hwy 41) in North Fork and fly at my kids elementary school on the weekends.

Kevin
Old Nov 04, 2003, 09:19 AM
AMA 353531
United States, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined Aug 2003
6,553 Posts
There are three motors for the 55. According to GWSCEO, the 300H should handle 3s, even though his chart shows them red. The 150 and 350 will not.

I'm using 3s TP2100 and had to move the nacells back to maintain CG despite having a heavy receiver way up under the cockpit.

Given that some modified-brushless A-10s with EFD-50s were flying well at 22oz I wouldn't be too worried about being overweight. Either ROG or run with it until it lifts out of your hands.

Total weight has little or no effect on correct CG.

Motors are wired parallel. (And how much voltage they can take is not affected by how many you have wired together parallel unless you overload the battery with too much draw.)

(Side note: Went out to taxi-test mine after finishing final assembly last night. CHecked controls, throttle up, it moved backward! I was very, very careful to solder the battery and ESC connentors correctly, apparently I wasn't so careful on the motor connector. Doh!)
rdeis is offline Find More Posts by rdeis
Last edited by rdeis; Nov 04, 2003 at 09:24 AM.
Old Nov 04, 2003, 09:50 AM
Houng-wen Lin
Shijr, Taiwan. DungGwan, China. City of Industry, California.
Joined Sep 2001
19,445 Posts
What should I do?

Some times ago, she was complained too skinny and light!

Now you call her FAT MaMa? She is now heavy enough to break the stronger windy day's bad weather.

If you like the light one, go back to LHS order the EDF50s version.
GWS4CEO is offline Find More Posts by GWS4CEO
Old Nov 04, 2003, 09:57 AM
Houng-wen Lin
Shijr, Taiwan. DungGwan, China. City of Industry, California.
Joined Sep 2001
19,445 Posts
Don't push me! I am not Woody Murfee, I don't have the magic liquid to be change to fat or back to slim so quick!
GWS4CEO is offline Find More Posts by GWS4CEO
Old Nov 04, 2003, 12:56 PM
Fresno, CA
Joined May 2002
283 Posts
I don't mind having her a bit heavy, as long as it lifts off .
I had to ask this question before going out to fly. I dont' want to fly her and have her fall like a brick. I am confident that the 55's will produce the thrust to lift her up.

Thanks for you suggestions.

In another note:

Mr. Lin, I have been looking at another manufactures foam planes and their foam is very different from GWS foam. Their foam is more flexiable and does not break as easy. Are you looking into upgrading your future planes with this type of foam? One example is the Cox Boomerang and the Cox F4 Ducted fan plane that is sold at Radio Shack. A friend of mine purchase it and has had some nasty crashes, but the bird does not break. It seems as the foam is very flexiable, strong and indistructiable. Just a thought.
Old Nov 04, 2003, 12:58 PM
Fresno, CA
Joined May 2002
283 Posts
sierra aardvark,

I fly near Fresno State, on the fields north of the university. I also fly at various schools near my home on weekends.

How far are you from Fresno?

Thanks.

jj
Old Nov 04, 2003, 02:29 PM
AMA 353531
United States, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined Aug 2003
6,553 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by CooLJ92
Mr. Lin, I have been looking at another manufactures foam planes and their foam is very different from GWS foam. Their foam is more flexiable and does not break as easy.
I heard that PT-17 is made of a different, more flexible foam- any chance of using this new material on older airframes as well?
rdeis is offline Find More Posts by rdeis
Old Nov 04, 2003, 03:24 PM
Australia
Joined Nov 2002
748 Posts
I will be using 3s in the B2 prototype I have (GWS). There is about 76g of extra weight in using the EDF55 (150) over the EDF50 (for a pair). By the time you allow for under load voltages from the pack and the losses in the light wiring I don't think you will have a huge problem with using the (nominally) 11.1v of the 3s pack.

Ingmar
imeins is offline Find More Posts by imeins