SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 23, 2012, 04:02 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,460 Posts
Discussion
Vinyl graphics/decals/stencils with inexpensive automated cutter (video added)

I bought a Silhouette Cameo... if anyone is on the fence about this idea, I can tell you it works very nicely. I brought the machine home and in about 45 minutes, I had it up and running and my first "good" cut was made (second try) - with Monokote trim tape, which is slightly thicker than the vinyl that comes with the machine.

So, here's my blog address on the side of my plane... now if it will stay stuck at 115mph remains to be seen, but it sure looks nice now

(before the graphics, so you can see the size of the plane)

electric formula one racer by jasmine25011, on Flickr

(graphics on the side)

vinyl lettering on my pylon racer by jasmine25011, on Flickr
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Last edited by jasmine2501; May 27, 2012 at 02:12 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 27, 2012, 02:12 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,460 Posts
Here's a video showing the machiine in action.

Vinyl stencils and lettering with Silhouette Cameo (9 min 54 sec)
Old May 28, 2012, 06:58 AM
Letchworth, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Jul 2004
12,006 Posts
Thanks for the demo. I just love the idea of having my own vinyl cutter, but the price (probably the same number in Sterling here in UK) still leaves me with no option except to continue sitting on the fence.
abenn is offline Find More Posts by abenn
Old May 28, 2012, 11:57 AM
United States, FL, The Villages
Joined Oct 2010
4,001 Posts
"I just love the idea of having my own vinyl cutter"

Me too. I can afford it, but doubt I'd use it enough to justify the purchase.
Don
dkrhardy is offline Find More Posts by dkrhardy
Old May 28, 2012, 12:16 PM
College Station, TX
Joined Jul 2009
882 Posts
Way to go Jasmine! Not too bad for $299. I wish I could find some seafoam green metallic vinyl. I hope you have alot of friends to make graphics for. I'm sure you can make your investment back fairly quick. -DC
43851E is offline Find More Posts by 43851E
Old May 28, 2012, 01:02 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,460 Posts
I'm not worried about making the investment back, but I do plan to do some RC "minivan stickers" and hand them out at the meetings. I'll be happy to cut projects for people too, if they give me an easy way to do it. I don't charge for that kind of thing - I make LED kits for people and basically just charge for the parts. I just wanted a way to make nice decals and stencils without too much effort. I have tried printing them and cutting them by hand, but it didn't come out very nice, and took many hours to do. That's the main reason I like using the machine - it makes a nice cut that doesn't look hand-made and it doesn't take lots of hours to do. I'm willing to spend a little money on that, as I do this kind of thing fairly often, or will now because it's easy.
Old May 28, 2012, 06:42 PM
United States, FL, The Villages
Joined Oct 2010
4,001 Posts
A club could get one and make it available to members, that would justify the use, huh?
Don
dkrhardy is offline Find More Posts by dkrhardy
Old May 28, 2012, 08:31 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,460 Posts
Yeah I suppose you could share the cost however you want. Might be a good thing for a hobby shop.
Old May 29, 2012, 03:27 AM
Letchworth, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Jul 2004
12,006 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 43851E View Post
Way to go Jasmine! Not too bad for $299. I wish I could find some seafoam green metallic vinyl. ...
Cut yourself a mask, instead of vinyl, and then you can spray any colour you want
abenn is offline Find More Posts by abenn
Old May 29, 2012, 07:10 PM
Senile Member
Moab, Utah, USA
Joined Apr 2003
6,284 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by abenn View Post
Cut yourself a mask, instead of vinyl, and then you can spray any colour you want
When cutting painting masks use a low tack vinyl such as shelf paper so that the mask can be easily removed without damaging the underlying structure and finish.

Larry
Lnagel is online now Find More Posts by Lnagel
Old May 29, 2012, 08:58 PM
buyer of the farm
United States, FL, DeLand
Joined Mar 2009
4,721 Posts
OMG Jasmine, that makes incredible-looking lettering.Great find!
Rockin Robbins is online now Find More Posts by Rockin Robbins
Old May 29, 2012, 09:12 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,460 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lnagel View Post
When cutting painting masks use a low tack vinyl such as shelf paper so that the mask can be easily removed without damaging the underlying structure and finish.

Larry
Good tip! The stuff I used in the video is best for a permanent application. I will be doing it again before I spray it because the vinyl is too sticky. Going to do a test tonight with some contact paper and see how that works. The nice thing about having the machine is it won't take me six hours to do that
Old May 29, 2012, 10:25 PM
"Free crash instruction"
long island N.Y.
Joined Jan 2004
1,715 Posts
Hey Jasmine, You can order a roll cheap online and it goes by the name brisket or low tack paper or vinyl. You can also re-use if it's a large enough piece.
I save many hours cutting stencils or lettering . The cutter I have allows me to roll over any image and it's copied and cut.
It can be tedious on big paint projects and the repetitive designs wont burn me out now.
I also now hand sketch and scan to pc for a saved file.
I've brought big files on mem sticks to my buddy that has a much bigger cutter.
Can that cutter import files and handle bigger cuts?
My wife at work has a copier that takes the large blowup's and segments picture to assemble together when applied.
Who make's that and what did it set you back in cost? Looks cool for a number of craft project my daughter and me enjoy.
With the right blade would it cut monocoat....not just mono trim ? I plan to bring a roll to see if my pals machine can . I tried mine but it need to be as thick as the vinyl or sticker type stuff.
Don't you love doing car bodies where everything step is backwards? Some of the contours can get tricky.
I've done many truck and car bodies and even won awards but I don't think I'd do it these days....unless theres a brand new arf with all the hardware, then maybe
Make sure you hook that truck up with lights, I'm sure you'll do a nice job knowing you
Enjoy the nice weather finally. Share a pic of the truck when finished
Cr@sh is online now Find More Posts by Cr@sh
Last edited by Cr@sh; May 29, 2012 at 10:32 PM.
Old May 30, 2012, 12:04 AM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,460 Posts
Yes it could cut normal covering material and it says it can cut 12 inches by 12 feet. I got it to do details though, not big stuff. The letters on the airplane are only a quarter inch high. There's a link to the web site in the first post.
Old May 30, 2012, 01:34 AM
"Free crash instruction"
long island N.Y.
Joined Jan 2004
1,715 Posts
Thanks
Cr@sh is online now Find More Posts by Cr@sh