HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 23, 2012, 02:25 PM
Joined May 2012
1 Posts
Discussion
Spektrum DX4e Transmitter V-tail Mixing with AR600 receiver

I have a Spektrum DX4e transmitter, which I use for my 3-channel Super Cub. I want to upgrade to a 4-channel airplane, specifically the Hobby King Dynamic-S (http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=21946). This is a V-tail plane.

I will be using a Spektrum AR600 receiver.

Can someone please give me the basic steps how to configure a V-tail plane with the DX4e remote?
Are there one or two cables from the "V" tail to the receiver?

Most importantly:
Is it even possible to fly this plane with the DX4e?

Thanks!
bsteabagger is offline Find More Posts by bsteabagger
to remove ads between posts
Old May 23, 2012, 03:10 PM
"Landing" in a tree somewhere
Rochester, NY
Joined Sep 2009
946 Posts
The DX4e is a very basic radio and doesn't have the ability to program for V-tails. You can try plugging servos into the AILE & ELEV channels and using elevon mixing (flip the mix switch to on) HOWEVER either left and right rudder will be reversed or up & down elevator will be reversed. There's no way to reverse one without the other since the DX4e only has individual channel reversing. You will need a more sophisticated radio to use v-tails (like the DX6i or better). If you want a 4-channel plane have you considered adding ailerons to your Super Cub? There's a guide for how to do so here (the brushless upgrade is optional). Since you have the DSM2 version of the Super Cub you won't need to replace anything and it will still work with your DX4e radio.
Rayne is offline Find More Posts by Rayne
Old May 23, 2012, 05:38 PM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
23,263 Posts
According to HK
Quote:
Requires: Your own 4 Channel TX/RX with V-Tail mixing
If you what to use a spektrum radio it will not be with the DX4e but like mentioned above the DX6i will do the job.
freechip is online now Find More Posts by freechip
Old May 23, 2012, 05:57 PM
S.A.D. member
United States, TX, Round Rock
Joined Dec 2004
9,345 Posts
If you already have the DX4e and want to use it - get a v-tail mixer.
ivanc is offline Find More Posts by ivanc
RCG Plus Member
Old May 23, 2012, 05:59 PM
Canada, BC, Burnaby
Joined Sep 2010
38 Posts
There is something about elevons on page thirteen of the manual, it says you have to move the MIX switch in the UP position and adjust the servos, you may want to read it. I don't know anything about it.
Fricotin is offline Find More Posts by Fricotin
Old May 23, 2012, 11:16 PM
59 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,017 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsteabagger View Post
I have a Spektrum DX4e transmitter, which I use for my 3-channel Super Cub. I want to upgrade to a 4-channel airplane, specifically the Hobby King Dynamic-S (http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=21946). This is a V-tail plane.

I will be using a Spektrum AR600 receiver.

Can someone please give me the basic steps how to configure a V-tail plane with the DX4e remote?
Are there one or two cables from the "V" tail to the receiver?

Most importantly:
Is it even possible to fly this plane with the DX4e?

Thanks!
It's possible but a bit awkward. You have three ways to do it:

1. Do without rudder and just plug both tail servos into a Y-cable connected to the aileron channel (ch2).
2. Use a v-tail mixer installed in the model. This takes output from the R and E channels and outputs mixed signals for the two tail servos. GWS makes one that's supposed to work well.
3. Use the elevon mix on the DX4e and plug the tail servos into A and E. Then learn to fly with aileron on the left stick (mode 3). [not a serious suggestion!]

Only number 2 is likely to be satisfactory!

The remaining options are to choose a different model or upgrade to a more capable transmitter (which you will want to do anyway as soon as you have more than one flyable model at a time).
Daedalus66 is offline Find More Posts by Daedalus66