SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 23, 2012, 01:14 AM
United States, OH, Salem
Joined Dec 2011
142 Posts
Question
Onboard video camera for Micro Plane?

Just wondering if anyone knows of any video cameras that are light enough to be mounted on a small micro plane...? like the ParkZone P-51 or the FlyZone DR1...I found this one a couple of days ago that is available but weighs 18 grams....Not sure if the Dr1 or Albatros could carry it.....seems like they probably could not.....

here is the link to this camera....

http://www.nitroplanes.com/sm18gfpvmivi.html
sweeteye is offline Find More Posts by sweeteye
to remove ads between posts
Old May 23, 2012, 03:05 AM
Elmhurst, NY (Queens in NYC)
Joined Apr 2004
7,061 Posts
Dunno about that specific cam but the keychain types have been flown on Vapors and the like for years.

Ask on the FPV forum, though FPV involves xmitting the signal rather than recording it in flight.

I've got some very light video gear, but I've had it for years and it's probably antique by now.

Pete
PeteSchug is offline Find More Posts by PeteSchug
Old May 23, 2012, 08:08 AM
United States, OH, Salem
Joined Dec 2011
142 Posts
Thanks Pete.....I thought there would have to be something on the market that would be light enough for very small planes.....will keep searching around...I do have a hobbyzone mini super cub and a firebird commander that would certainly be able to carry the nitroplanes camera....I like the mini super cub but do not care for the firebird commander....I do not fly them much because the park field I most often fly at is right at the size limit for the these two planes....no room for getting carried away flying as the planes could be lost in trees nor do I wish to collide with a house or car if a flying mistake is made or if the radio were to malfunction....
Last edited by sweeteye; May 23, 2012 at 08:21 AM.
Old May 23, 2012, 08:26 AM
So broke I can't pay attention
Naples FL USA
Joined Mar 2009
490 Posts
The latest version of the keychain cams are pretty amazing, HD and AV-out capability.
There are a few alternatives, here is a link to the Aerial Photography page of the forum..
http://www.rcgroups.com/aerial-photography-128/
caymin last is offline Find More Posts by caymin last
Old May 23, 2012, 03:10 PM
TheyreComingToTakeMeAway!
USA, ID, Coeur D'Alene
Joined Dec 2003
5,482 Posts
There are super light cameras and transmitters and videos on YouTube from them. The resolution is low but visible. Difference being you have a ground station to record, not onboard like that particular camera.
derk is offline Find More Posts by derk
Old May 23, 2012, 03:37 PM
Elmhurst, NY (Queens in NYC)
Joined Apr 2004
7,061 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by derk View Post
There are super light cameras and transmitters and videos on YouTube from them. The resolution is low but visible. Difference being you have a ground station to record, not onboard like that particular camera.
I would never judge the resolution of a camera by what I see on You Tube. The quality of stuff on You Tube is often much lower than the quality of what the user posted.

Some of the better keychain cameras are amazing.

On the other hand, in FPV the big quality filter is analog transmission. That lowers the quality a great deal. The best FPV is transmitted analog for flying purposes but recorded digitally on board.

Keychain cams usually can only do the recording and not that transmission.

With FPV you have to know how it was recorded. Likewise on You Tube you have to know if they reduced the quality for storage or bandwidth purposes.

Pete
PeteSchug is offline Find More Posts by PeteSchug
Old May 23, 2012, 04:07 PM
United States, OH, Salem
Joined Dec 2011
142 Posts
I have never used cameras much nor video cameras so I know very little about the quality of different products.....I did purchase a used digital camera off the web a while back which turned out to be a mistake.....malfunctioned very quickly.....cannot get it to upload to my PC....other than that I am still back in the days of the old polaroids from the 1960s and 70s.I ended up ordering a keychain camera from the nitroplanes site only because of the seemingly reasonable price...Seems like it should be alright....I do not really need super quality for viewing of my flights....as long as it is fair quality I will be satisfied....looking forward to checking out this aspect of flying model aircraft.....
Old May 23, 2012, 05:01 PM
Naples FL USA
Joined Mar 2009
490 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by derk View Post
Yes it's true that the resolution can be degraded after being uploaded to youtube.
I am very happy with my #11 808. Here is an interesting comparison between the 808 #11 keychain cam and the Gopro both on the same plane at the same time......( try watching it in HD mode if possible)

HD #11 808 Keychain vs. HD GoPro (5 min 13 sec)
Old May 23, 2012, 05:48 PM
United States, OH, Salem
Joined Dec 2011
142 Posts
Very interesting comparison of quality.......Also has me very impatient to get to recording some of my own flights.....Have to wonder where that flight was filmed at? Looks like Pennsylvania......or Virginia.... ? not Florida or is it....? could not possibly be Florida....
Old May 23, 2012, 07:26 PM
Naples FL USA
Joined Mar 2009
490 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweeteye View Post
Very interesting comparison of quality.......Also has me very impatient to get to recording some of my own flights.....Have to wonder where that flight was filmed at? Looks like Pennsylvania......or Virginia.... ? not Florida or is it....? could not possibly be Florida....
Yes, interesting indeed. "Ashtray 360", the person who posted this video on Youtube, says it was taken in Knoxville TN.
Old May 23, 2012, 08:48 PM
TheyreComingToTakeMeAway!
USA, ID, Coeur D'Alene
Joined Dec 2003
5,482 Posts
hmm, seems the video i was thinking of may have been old. so by now i suppose the quality is improved as that was 5 years ago
derk is offline Find More Posts by derk
Old May 23, 2012, 10:21 PM
Naples FL USA
Joined Mar 2009
490 Posts
I recieved my #11 808 cam a couple months ago, and have not yet had the opportunity to film any flying or aerial, but all the tests I've done are while driving errands in the car and around the house seem to be very satisfactory, the date/time stamp was already removed and some new software updates installed when I recieved it. Worth every penny.
Old May 24, 2012, 03:17 PM
Pilot, Co-pilot, Navagator
United States, AZ, Yuma
Joined Sep 2009
2,788 Posts
i love the Kodachrome colors of the #11 camera. makes the world look pretty.
nemoskull is offline Find More Posts by nemoskull
Old May 27, 2012, 01:07 PM
Joined Jun 2005
3,783 Posts
808 wins!

A lot less of the wide-angle/rubber horizon effect with the 808.
Lancer31 is offline Find More Posts by Lancer31
Old May 30, 2012, 11:02 PM
Pilot, Co-pilot, Navagator
United States, AZ, Yuma
Joined Sep 2009
2,788 Posts
and the 9 dollar price tag helps it to win too!
nemoskull is offline Find More Posts by nemoskull