HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 22, 2012, 10:04 PM
Joined Mar 2010
36 Posts
Help!
wanna get into flying !!

i would like to start flying ..can someone recomend a good flight simulator system to try NEVER flown a thing but my finger at a few ppl ...or recomend where to get a good used 1 ..been in the hobby a few years(off-road) love to build and make custom rc's !! now i wanna take it to the air ..thanks in advance..

Ken
53"SuperGator is offline Find More Posts by 53"SuperGator
to remove ads between posts
Old May 22, 2012, 10:36 PM
United States, MI, Portage
Joined Sep 2011
4,093 Posts
Check your pm's
3d astronaut is offline Find More Posts by 3d astronaut
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Fatshark Attitude 1.3ghz
Old May 23, 2012, 01:14 AM
Suspended Account
United States, CA, Corona
Joined Nov 2003
554 Posts
The flight sims are okay but if your serious about learning to fly join a local club who offers a flight training program with a club plane on a buddy box. learn the old fashion way its a 1000 time better. The club program teach you things you cant lean on PC
warbirdguyn951 is offline Find More Posts by warbirdguyn951
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old May 23, 2012, 05:22 AM
United States, MD, Elkton
Joined Oct 2011
8,243 Posts
The advantage to flight simulators is that You can fly when you want to.I agree that it's not the same as actually flying,but those of us who have been flying 50 years or so,still think it's better than nothing.
'Buddy boxes' are a big help in learning to fly,but it's still not the same as the 'real thing',with no safety net.
By and large the simulator is more convenient,foul weather doesn't control when you fly,and repairs are as easy as pushing the red button.
"reversed controls" as the airplane comes toward you can be compensated for,and different fields can teach you to fly in different surroundings.
And you don't need top of the line systems....all you really need is a trainer and a flying field-the basic systems all work the same controls.
epoxyearl is online now Find More Posts by epoxyearl
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Back to square one !
Old May 23, 2012, 10:11 AM
United States, MS, Starkville
Joined May 2009
119 Posts
I think a simulator is great to learn the basics of flight, possibly better than a buddy box (ive done both) and for the advanced flier its good to try new tricks without fear of learning how to lose a plane.

However.....

One thing I've learned is using a simulator almost makes you jaded to the fact that it's okay to crash. You may pick up bad habits you'd otherwise never do with a real plane. THIS is when a buddy box and instructor is better than a simulator.

So in summary, get a beginners feel of flying on a simulator, then when you can fly towards & away from yourself, take off & land reasonably well (doesn't have to be great), fine tune your fingers with an instructor & buddy box.

In my opinion
jmd87 is offline Find More Posts by jmd87
Old May 23, 2012, 10:56 AM
Joined Mar 2010
36 Posts
[QUOTE=ASCforithobbies;21688802]The flight sims are okay but if your serious about learning to fly join a local club who offers a flight training program with a club plane on a buddy box. learn the old fashion way its a 1000 time better. The club program teach you things you cant lean on PC[/QUOT

no local clubs that i've found so far ..kinda dead in the water there .
Old May 23, 2012, 10:58 AM
Joined Mar 2010
36 Posts
maybe i should try a little battery coppter first to see how bad i kill it !!
Old May 23, 2012, 11:57 AM
Suspended Account
United States, CT, Hartford
Joined Jun 2009
5,336 Posts
stay away from choppers for now. Get a good sim (real flight or the others) and then join a club. Get an instructor and do it right. It will save you a ton of time, and a ton of money!
porcia83 is offline Find More Posts by porcia83
Old May 23, 2012, 11:59 AM
Rogersville, Mo
Joined Jun 2008
3,466 Posts
Find you a Jazz or Regala...I was taught with a Regala...we all stick built ours...if ya build one..you tend to realize the respect of the plane and time involved and will try harder to take care of it.......just taxi around a paved parking lot..surely you can find one of those...preferably one that's abandoned...we had a hockey dome to learn in...that was Nice...in your case you'll have to do with what you can find...Learn to just drive your plane first....tying not to tip it over...follow painted lines...trying to stay right on top of them...once ya master that...then you should try short lift offs..and touch downs...once mastered..then go for it....I was taught this way...I've never done a flight sim...Just the ole fashioned way....and i loved and would recommend it to anyone... Billy

I wouldn't mess with a chopper either....waste of your time and money at this time if your wanting to learn to fly airplanes...
FlyBillyFly is offline Find More Posts by FlyBillyFly
Last edited by FlyBillyFly; May 23, 2012 at 12:03 PM. Reason: Learn on a plane first.....its easier...
Old May 23, 2012, 12:34 PM
Suspended Account
United States, CA, Corona
Joined Nov 2003
554 Posts
[QUOTE=53"SuperGator;21691611]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASCforithobbies View Post
The flight sims are okay but if your serious about learning to fly join a local club who offers a flight training program with a club plane on a buddy box. learn the old fashion way its a 1000 time better. The club program teach you things you cant lean on PC[/QUOT

no local clubs that i've found so far ..kinda dead in the water there .
where do you live?
warbirdguyn951 is offline Find More Posts by warbirdguyn951
Old May 23, 2012, 12:42 PM
some call me macgyver....
United States, OK, Shawnee
Joined Feb 2012
726 Posts
Do it like I did find a mini super cub. Charge the battery. N throw it it in the air n learn on the fly. Lol Naw the sim really helps saves money n fixing time. But u r eventual going to have to go to the real thing. The champ, mini super cub. Are good starter planes. I was anxious to get out there n fly so I learned the hard way I also don't have any close clubs. But this place helped me a lot.
bethelflier8036 is offline Find More Posts by bethelflier8036
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: my son is cancer free
Old May 23, 2012, 12:47 PM
Joined Mar 2010
36 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyBillyFly View Post
Find you a Jazz or Regala...I was taught with a Regala...we all stick built ours...if ya build one..you tend to realize the respect of the plane and time involved and will try harder to take care of it.......just taxi around a paved parking lot..surely you can find one of those...preferably one that's abandoned...we had a hockey dome to learn in...that was Nice...in your case you'll have to do with what you can find...Learn to just drive your plane first....tying not to tip it over...follow painted lines...trying to stay right on top of them...once ya master that...then you should try short lift offs..and touch downs...once mastered..then go for it....I was taught this way...I've never done a flight sim...Just the ole fashioned way....and i loved and would recommend it to anyone... Billy

I wouldn't mess with a chopper either....waste of your time and money at this time if your wanting to learn to fly airplanes...
i can here them all time around me but it's just pvt...club big bucks and thats not for me ..
Old May 23, 2012, 12:48 PM
Joined Mar 2010
36 Posts
[QUOTE=ASCforithobbies;21692353]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 53"SuperGator View Post

where do you live?
Redmond OR,
Old May 23, 2012, 12:52 PM
Joined Mar 2010
36 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bethelflier8036 View Post
Do it like I did find a mini super cub. Charge the battery. N throw it it in the air n learn on the fly. Lol Naw the sim really helps saves money n fixing time. But u r eventual going to have to go to the real thing. The champ, mini super cub. Are good starter planes. I was anxious to get out there n fly so I learned the hard way I also don't have any close clubs. But this place helped me a lot.
yep thats what im'a gonna do !! find an old beater elec plane and see what happins ...i mean sure it's alot diff than off road nobody taught me nothin on any aspect of this RC hobby of mine just trial & error .
Old May 23, 2012, 01:12 PM
some call me macgyver....
United States, OK, Shawnee
Joined Feb 2012
726 Posts
Ya me too. Lol honestly man find a used beat up. One n every chance u get fly. The um t28 is real forgiving too. Easy to fix. The mini super cub is slow won't do much but maybe a big loop but its a foot in the door.. I was into cars for a long time. N love them just got rid of my last one. N strictly planes now. Wanting a quad now lol. But a sim will get u comfortable with the actions of a plane or heli. Also a good remote helps too. Like I have a dx6i remote n love it. What kind u planning on getting
bethelflier8036 is offline Find More Posts by bethelflier8036
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: my son is cancer free