HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 22, 2012, 09:33 PM
AKA, Cheap Chiseler
United States, FL, North Fort Myers
Joined Mar 2012
1,181 Posts
Cool
Mr. RC Sound - Way COOL!

These photos will be all the report I will be giving This sound unit and the Blitzrc Beech staggerwing model 17 were made for each other.

My cousin, a pilot ask about this and I sent him this.

"I got it Beechcraft Staggerwing and got it together also I've installed the sound system, plays the startup, run up and shut down of the Wright Cyclone 9 cylinder radial engine at about 97 db. I still must install two gyros one to control the rudder on take-off ( they tend to 'ground loop' on take-off' and one for the ailerons. I have cut down the throw on the elevator from 100% up and down to 50% up and 30% down. I now have an instructor but I can't 'buddy-box' with him because my transmitter won't plug into his so I'm going to fly my power glider I lot more before I put this bird up. Here are some pics of the Beechcraft and the Power glider and a link to a vid of the Beech being flown and crashed by the dealer.

Beechcraft Staggerwing Flight Review with airplane CRASH! (7 min 42 sec)

Thanks, Don
Sculptor is offline Find More Posts by Sculptor
Last edited by Sculptor; May 22, 2012 at 09:58 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 23, 2012, 10:53 AM
ARFs make me BARF
United States, MI, Roseville
Joined Dec 2000
9,158 Posts
Gyros on rudder and Aileron? How about learning to properly control adverse forces to get it off the ground without them???
mrittinger is offline Find More Posts by mrittinger
Old May 23, 2012, 11:07 AM
AKA, Cheap Chiseler
Joined Mar 2012
1,181 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrittinger View Post
Gyros on rudder and Aileron? How about learning to properly control adverse forces to get it off the ground without them???
I've never taken a plane off or landed one except on a sim. I have a hand launch plane that has been flown 11 times, crashed it the first 8 times due mostly to bad set-up. I need all the help I can get.

Thank you,
DJ
Old May 23, 2012, 09:20 PM
ARFs make me BARF
United States, MI, Roseville
Joined Dec 2000
9,158 Posts
Then learning the proper control inputs to counteract P-factor (while the tail is down) and torque are in order , not gyros.
mrittinger is offline Find More Posts by mrittinger
Old May 23, 2012, 10:33 PM
AKA, Cheap Chiseler
Joined Mar 2012
1,181 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrittinger View Post
Then learning the proper control inputs to counteract P-factor (while the tail is down) and torque are in order , not gyros.
QUOTE=mrittinger;21696086]Then learning the proper control inputs to counteract P-factor (while the tail is down) and torque are in order , not gyros.[/QUOTE]

Thank you for your response. You don't need to respond again. For me this is not a religion. It is a model airplane that I can fly and fly as it could fly or would have been flown in 1945.

I was on the ebay Q@A board from 1999 till 2001. I was on the Billiard Digest board for three years and I became insensitive to the real concerns and needs of the people who were just getting started in all this. This isn't my first rodeo.

I must say I have never been on a board that spent more time condemning me for what ever I ask or said than this one.
And you are a prime example

DJ Wilkins
sculptor of Fort Myers
Old May 24, 2012, 08:57 AM
The "pro" in procrastination
Canada, ON, Kingston
Joined Mar 2004
2,895 Posts
Geez Sculptor, lighten up. I trolled through your threads and all I see is a long list of people who've done their best to help you and provide advice as you struggle with learning to fly on your own. Conversely, a lot of your questions need clarification before the reader understands what you want (part of being a newb, I suppose), and your responses ("that doesn't help", "I understand that", "I'm not stupid", etc.) don't come across as being particularly gracious coming from someone who's looking for help and advice.

I understand that you're in your sixties like a lot of us, and I also understand that once we're in middle age, none of us are used to being incompetent and typically don't deal with it very well. So, a little friendly advice from a formerly incompetent flyer (me) would be along the lines of lose the attitude, don't take responses personally and ignore the ones you don't like, and we'll all get along much better.

Just sayin'...

Steve
Steve85 is online now Find More Posts by Steve85
Old May 24, 2012, 09:09 AM
Neophyte hacker
Albuquerque, NM USA
Joined Sep 2003
15,933 Posts
I am one of those who has put a gyro on the rudder of a couple of my planes. Tail skids and pavement combined with a WWI era biplane can be tricky.

Heck, when someone like Pat Tritle can't get a plane off the ground due to ground looping, then I don't have a chance.

Having said that, I do all of my maiden flights without such extras. It is only if I have extreme difficulty that I resort to a gyro.

The little plane in question should not have any problem for take off and landing.

But, if you want to add them, go ahead. You can always turn down the gain or turn them off as you get more capable.

Why a gyro on the ailerons? I've never seen a reason for one there. If you are going to go that far, then why not one of the full up autopilots? Probably cheaper than two gyros.

Lastly, be careful how you set up the gyros. You want a rate control, NOT heading control. And be sure to turn it off once in the air.

charlie
portablevcb is offline Find More Posts by portablevcb
Old May 24, 2012, 09:53 AM
AKA, Cheap Chiseler
Joined Mar 2012
1,181 Posts
Your right Steve. I have been given much good advice and most of what about model airplanes has come from this board.
"don't take responses personally and ignore the ones you don't like" is going to be the rule for me from now on.

I don't think I expected to get so deeply interested in this rc flying and it be so hard to do. I've always been good at most everything I try to do.

My apology to the board. "lose the attitude" you say, I will and I'll try and remember this is all going to be even more fun when I finally learn to fly.

'Fly, crash, fix - fly, crash, fix. Hell it's my fault I crash not y'alls. I really don't remember acting this way about anything else. Again my apologies.

Sincerely,
DJ
Old May 24, 2012, 10:37 AM
AKA, Cheap Chiseler
Joined Mar 2012
1,181 Posts
Thank you Charlie, I was told at the air field that it would be hard to take off straight and that a rate gyro on the rudder would solve that but think I'll skip that.

"Why a gyro on the ailerons?" My trainer plane is a sky sufer power glider and after crashing it the first 8 times I tried to fly it (in a 10 knot wind) I put a gyro on the elevator and one on the ailerons to try and keep from blowing around. But I think it was bad plane set up so I probably don't need them.

My friends have knick named the SS 'The Eagle' because I beat the nose in and under and it now looks like you guessed it, an eagle. If I were a painter instead of a sculptor I'd paint eyeballs and feathers on it.

I'm going to turn these gyros off and see what happens. I my soooo hoping I don't beat up the beautiful bi-plane.

Thank you for your advice Charlie,
DJ
Old May 24, 2012, 02:12 PM
Lawrence, Kansas
Joined Dec 2001
610 Posts
Hey sculptor,

If you don't have ready access to an instructor or experienced R/C pilot help, go ahead and start out with gyros if it makes you more comfortable, but if you really want to get into R/C flying, you should definitely try to wean yourself off them. You'll have more fun and be better prepared to move on to new models. If you can fly a sim, then I think a gyro on the ailerons is probably overkill. Also, I bet if you run through a battery or 2 just taxiing around on the ground, you'll probably find out pretty quick whether you really need a gyro on the rudder. Small, stubby biplanes can be kind of squirrelly, but I have to say that my E-flite Stearman is no worse than than any of my other tail-draggers.

- - Dave
DaveA is offline Find More Posts by DaveA
Old May 24, 2012, 08:15 PM
AKA, Cheap Chiseler
Joined Mar 2012
1,181 Posts
Dave thank you,
I started another thread "What is scale flying exactly" and I'm learning that it's scale everything, speed, landing, take-off and smoothness.
So Dave I will put in the two gyros one on rudder and one on ailerons. Not so much out of fear of crashing on landing and take-off but because it's 3# 40" WS. It's not to scale to start with regards power to weight so if there is any wind I can't fly it to scale at all.

I can see the gyros as compensation for wind and lack of weight. As we both know they don't fly the plane, they just respond to movement that are not from the Tx.

So I now don't see gyros on a scale flyer as crutch (I've gotten some sincerely negative post about using gyros).

So that's were I am at the moment. I won't have to mention gyros next time I'm in the confessional.

Thank you,
DJ
Old May 24, 2012, 08:35 PM
Balsa&Tissue
United States, OR, Beaverton
Joined Jan 2011
2,793 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by portablevcb View Post

Why a gyro on the ailerons? I've never seen a reason for one there. If you are going to go that far, then why not one of the full up autopilots? Probably cheaper than two gyros.

charlie
So you can fly in winds that would otherwise ground you or break your airplane....
payne9999 is online now Find More Posts by payne9999
Old May 24, 2012, 08:40 PM
AKA, Cheap Chiseler
Joined Mar 2012
1,181 Posts
Yes Charlie