HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 06, 2013, 12:56 PM
Joined Mar 2013
79 Posts
BL-Gimbal for HERO 1/2 coming soon!!!

We know most of you guys have been waiting for this day...
QUATERNIUM is offline Find More Posts by QUATERNIUM
to remove ads between posts
Old May 06, 2013, 03:14 PM
total newbie
Greece, Makedonia Thraki, Thessaloniki
Joined Jan 2012
90 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by QUATERNIUM View Post
I don't know about "most", but I have been waiting for my Spidex + GP3 gimbal...

...any news? some guys from the 2nd preorder said earlier theirs are shipping.
mitsaras is offline Find More Posts by mitsaras
Old May 06, 2013, 04:16 PM
Joined Mar 2013
1 Posts
Will the gimbal for gopro3 work with gopro 1/2, or will there be issues with balancing or fitting?
aerosol is offline Find More Posts by aerosol
Old May 06, 2013, 04:55 PM
Joined Jul 2008
401 Posts
Quote:
Yeasss!!

Pumped to get mine soon. Im going to run on a set of Tiger motor 2216 800KV's DJI esc's and either a Naza M or APM 2.5
Jelico is offline Find More Posts by Jelico
Old May 06, 2013, 05:36 PM
United Kingdom, Great Bookham
Joined Apr 2013
124 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelico View Post
Yeasss!!

Pumped to get mine soon. Im going to run on a set of Tiger motor 2216 800KV's DJI esc's and either a Naza M or APM 2.5
any ideas what kind of payload that will carry? In fact, does anybody know the flight weight of the spidex with BG (without battery). Am going to start again with new motors and ESCs probably (have stock DJI 450 currently) and would love to know what to get. Quaternium website seems to be out of stock of motors.
mu71rd2 is offline Find More Posts by mu71rd2
Old May 06, 2013, 06:13 PM
Joined Sep 2011
44 Posts
Quote:
Can we pre-order?
init6 is offline Find More Posts by init6
Old May 06, 2013, 06:36 PM
Joined Oct 2012
784 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mu71rd2 View Post
any ideas what kind of payload that will carry? In fact, does anybody know the flight weight of the spidex with BG (without battery). Am going to start again with new motors and ESCs probably (have stock DJI 450 currently) and would love to know what to get. Quaternium website seems to be out of stock of motors.
I don't know what payload it will carry but mine weighs 3 lbs 3 ounces without the flight battery - equipped as I listed. I've added some little plastic looped feet to keep my camera out of the lawn. Maybe they add up to an ounce.

And since Graupner's are scarce I'm saving mine. It has been flying surprisingly well using 8 inch DJI 8045s... no jello. I have ordered several other props to try... 9 inch CF ones from RC Timer and the new DJI 1038s that may be too much for my motors and 4S batts plus some more 8045s. Best I can tell the 9 inch Graupners get about 30 more seconds out of a 3300 mah 4S than the DJI 8045s get.

Here is how it came out.
AlanGold is offline Find More Posts by AlanGold
Last edited by AlanGold; May 06, 2013 at 06:44 PM.
Old May 06, 2013, 10:56 PM
Joined Oct 2012
784 Posts
Here is a pretty short boring video where I am very pleased by how I've corrected the GoPro's fisheye distortion.

I am trying to get used to FPV from the GoPro which is a wider view than I had previously. It is hard to judge distance. I will also be shooting some in the medium view and I am not sure that will be wide enough for general piloting. There is a lot for me to learn still and I probably will fly with a monitor rather than goggles for the video work I have planned. I find that having a stabilized FPV camera is much better in terms of my own balance.

Defished 8 inch DJI props (0 min 55 sec)
!
Last edited by AlanGold; May 06, 2013 at 11:03 PM.
Old May 07, 2013, 01:22 AM
Joined Oct 2006
314 Posts
When is the next preorder?? :-) I've decided to order one, along with a frame.....
dartmouth01 is offline Find More Posts by dartmouth01
Old May 07, 2013, 02:17 AM
Italy, Lazio, Rome
Joined May 2011
598 Posts
May I use this frame for fpv? Where can I put camera? I don't see where it can be installed. Is there an example of someone that use this frame with a dedicated fpv camera (i.e. Fpv camera + gopro for filming)?

Max
Pozzix is offline Find More Posts by Pozzix
Old May 07, 2013, 03:41 AM
Joined Apr 2013
124 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanGold View Post
I don't know what payload it will carry but mine weighs 3 lbs 3 ounces without the flight battery - equipped as I listed. I've added some little plastic looped feet to keep my camera out of the lawn. Maybe they add up to an ounce.

Here is how it came out.
thanks Alan. I saw earlier up in the thread that you probably would have gone for slightly more powerful motors if you were buying from scratch - which is why I asked. I am going from scratch, so thought I'd get something that is comfortable with the weight, rather than being top end. I flew my F450 with extra ballast to simulate what the yun-i gimbal that I had ordered would be like, and it was terrible.

Frankly, I'm not too sure how to tell whether a given motor will be a) more powerful or b) suitable with my batteries (currently 3s, 3300mAH), so am after a 'this will work well' solution if there is one.
Old May 07, 2013, 07:20 AM
Joined Oct 2012
784 Posts
Quote:
Frankly, I'm not too sure how to tell whether a given motor will be a) more powerful or b) suitable with my batteries (currently 3s, 3300mAH), so am after a 'this will work well' solution if there is one.
It would be nice if there was more guidance about this on the Quaternium site. Perhaps write them and also see if there are other threads on the Spidex from before the brushless gimbal.

Their site offers a ready to fly Spidex with the older pitch camera mount and has the specs below. I am wondering if this uses 3S batts as the motors are 1120 K but maybe with 9 inch props they use 4S. These motors are larger and heavier than the Sunnysky 2216 V800 that I am using. Edit - they are not much larger and weigh the same. I am not sure about the power differences.

In terms of efficiency, not performance, consider that with a 4S 3300 mah batt I am getting 9 min 15 sec maximum possible flight time with the DJI 8045 props and 9 min 45 secs with the 9 inch Graupners. (Flying until fail safe auto landing at 3.7 volts remaining - no load.) I think the performance I am getting is plenty good enough for AP work but it doesn't jump upwards super fast when I hit the throttle.

I don't know how to determine the right motor/battery combo for the best mix of performance and flight times but perhaps start from the point of asking others about craft that have a similar all up weight.

- Quaternium Spidex frame
- DJI-NAZA Multirotor Controller
- DJI NAZA GPS upgrade
- EMP Outrunner BL Motor N2836/07 1120KV
- ESC Quaternium 20A reflashed
- Propellers - 9x4.5 Gemfan Carbono pair
Last edited by AlanGold; May 07, 2013 at 03:13 PM.
Old May 07, 2013, 09:01 AM
Joined Apr 2013
124 Posts
yeah i saw those, annoyingly, they no longer sell any motors on their site (or are changing supplier or something). I also can't find that motor type anywhere, so am a bit lost.

have been recommended (by a retailer in uk) 12" props - anyone have any thoughts on that? I'm running 3s batteries currently.
Old May 07, 2013, 09:23 AM
total newbie
Greece, Makedonia Thraki, Thessaloniki
Joined Jan 2012
90 Posts
Quote:
have been recommended (by a retailer in uk) 12" props - anyone have any thoughts on that? I'm running 3s batteries currently.
12" props might be too big for the Spidex, Quaternium specify 8"-10"
mitsaras is offline Find More Posts by mitsaras
Old May 07, 2013, 09:41 AM
Zenmusement
Belgium, Vlaams Gewest, Gent
Joined Dec 2012
145 Posts
Just a quick question:

Does the gimbal controller accept a 4S lipo for the powersupply?

thanks
Michiel van Son is offline Find More Posts by Michiel van Son