HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 21, 2013, 04:20 PM
Joined Jun 2013
11 Posts
yeah all the wires are clear I dont know whats up. my spidex shipped without the mounts for the battery tray so im not in to much of a rush to figure it out
wweinaug is offline Find More Posts by wweinaug
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 21, 2013, 04:28 PM
United Kingdom, Great Bookham
Joined Apr 2013
124 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dartmouth01 View Post
Double posting this here (as well as a Naza thread), in case this is an issue with my Spidex build, and not that Naza.

Hi guys, have some crazy behavior going on, wondering if anyone can give me some suggestions. Not sure if its Naza related (3.12) or something else. I recently built up a Spidex quad, and transferred over all equipment from a good flying witespy to it. In the same time, I updated to 3.10 and now 3.12. I've been trying to tune my gains (started at the Naza defaults) but I've been hampered by the fact my quad is rocking hard diagonally across the front left prop to the rear right prop, whenever I give it a decent yaw turn. Slight yawing is not a problem, it seems to only happen when I have to yaw quickly. I've tried all yaw gains and it doesn't seem to make a difference. It does seem to get worse as the flight goes on. It has been a little windy (10-15 mph) lately when I've been testing, but my witespy was pretty rock steady even in these conditions.

Anyone ever see or hear of behavior like this?

Setup:
-Spidex with V2 BL GP3 gimbal
-Witespy 20A Simonk ESCs
-T Motor MS2212-13 980KV motors
-4000mAH 3S Nanotech battery
-Naza running 3.12 firmware + GPS
-Gemfan Carbon filled 10x5 props (also tried 9x4.7 props)
-AUW of 1703 grams
I have been struggling with that exact problem for well over two weeks now. Have tamed it with a low yaw gain, but I get it all the time. It's quite annoying as the F450 didn't do this. I have a heavy battery on the back, but it is as far forward as possible. I guess I can try to shift the weight backwards and see what comes of it. thanks
mu71rd2 is offline Find More Posts by mu71rd2
Old Jun 21, 2013, 04:35 PM
Joined Apr 2013
124 Posts
ok here's a problem, especially in view of the communications issues we've been talking about. I've just plugged in my new gimbal (no. 2) and it simply doesn't do anything. No motor noise, no flashing lights, nothing. It appears to be completely dead.

My old one has been working fine, and in fact is still working now I've put it back. The new one, I plug in the power, a single green LED lights up in the middle of the board, but then nothing happens.

Before I go through the process or returning it, or attempting to get some technical support I thought I'd ask to see if anyone knew enough about these boards to suggest what I can do to get it to spring into life. Does the new gimbal reqire a pitch connection from the rx? That's the only thing that wasn't plugged into it.

fortunately I have a spare, but otherwise it's pretty annoying.

in other news, my purchase of this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Anti-Vibra...-/111100507982
has completely eliminated all jello. I also now have enough for another 40 or more pads for when they wear down.
Old Jun 21, 2013, 07:09 PM
United States, NV, Minden
Joined Apr 2011
985 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike76 View Post
fpv brushless gimbal with tilt control
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gb2sSj9DV68
Awesome!

Mike, what are you using as video link?

Attitude 5.8Ghz with 600mW transmitter or Dominators with 2.4Ghz module?

If I try to go further as you go, I'll surely get blind
rnelias is offline Find More Posts by rnelias
Old Jun 21, 2013, 07:14 PM
United Kingdom, England, Plymouth
Joined Mar 2013
72 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mu71rd2 View Post
in other news, my purchase of this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Anti-Vibra...-/111100507982
has completely eliminated all jello. I also now have enough for another 40 or more pads for when they wear down.
Thanks, I have ordered some as well.
My original foam pads are getting compressed.

Grahame.
springbok3255 is offline Find More Posts by springbok3255
Old Jun 21, 2013, 08:21 PM
Spain, Valencia, V
Joined Nov 2007
245 Posts
Quote:
ok here's a problem, especially in view of the communications issues we've been talking about. I've just plugged in my new gimbal (no. 2) and it simply doesn't do anything. No motor noise, no flashing lights, nothing. It appears to be completely dead.

My old one has been working fine, and in fact is still working now I've put it back. The new one, I plug in the power, a single green LED lights up in the middle of the board, but then nothing happens.

Before I go through the process or returning it, or attempting to get some technical support I thought I'd ask to see if anyone knew enough about these boards to suggest what I can do to get it to spring into life. Does the new gimbal reqire a pitch connection from the rx? That's the only thing that wasn't plugged into it.

fortunately I have a spare, but otherwise it's pretty annoying.

The new board doesn't make any noise when working (new firmware) and usually only have a green light when power the board. If your gimbal doesn't work try your old cable for the imu. When just one of the 4 cables between the imu and the board lost the connection the gimball seems to be dead. It's strange a gimbal doesn't work right out of the box I know they prove every single one.
moriwaky is online now Find More Posts by moriwaky
Old Jun 21, 2013, 08:40 PM
mike76
TAHITI
Joined May 2008
87 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnelias View Post
Awesome!

Mike, what are you using as video link?

Attitude 5.8Ghz with 600mW transmitter or Dominators with 2.4Ghz module?

If I try to go further as you go, I'll surely get blind

i use foxtech diversity with 2 spironnet anntena immersion rc
TX 200mw foxtech with 1 small spironnet anntena immersion rc.
fatshask base 922 goggles + 600 tvl sonny fpv cam
turningy 9xr radio frsky module + frsky 8ch receiver 40cm anntena .
gopro 3 black : protune on /5500k
mike76 is offline Find More Posts by mike76
Old Jun 22, 2013, 01:40 AM
Canada, AB, Red Deer
Joined Apr 2013
311 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by moriwaky View Post
The new board doesn't make any noise when working (new firmware) and usually only have a green light when power the board. If your gimbal doesn't work try your old cable for the imu. When just one of the 4 cables between the imu and the board lost the connection the gimball seems to be dead. It's strange a gimbal doesn't work right out of the box I know they prove every single one.
Thank you for telling us this. It will help greatly when we receive our spidex's. it would help though if this could be posted when the new versions or changes are released. It sux that we have to figure this out after the fact!
camcanuck is offline Find More Posts by camcanuck
Old Jun 22, 2013, 01:51 AM
aka Helidaho
United States, ID, Boise
Joined Jun 2010
2,764 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike76 View Post
fpv brushless gimbal with tilt control
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gb2sSj9DV68
Oh wow, I'm jealous... great views and video. Plus, flying over water like that, impressive. Water always sucks in my quadcopters
AeroVideoUS is offline Find More Posts by AeroVideoUS
Old Jun 22, 2013, 12:35 PM
United Kingdom, England, Plymouth
Joined Mar 2013
72 Posts
Had a couple of pics taken whilst flying yesterday.
springbok3255 is offline Find More Posts by springbok3255
Old Jun 22, 2013, 03:39 PM
Joined Apr 2013
124 Posts
ok so this yaw problem, that Dartmouth01 also seems to have: i wanted to get it sorted once and for all, especially as it now seems I am not alone.

I've done a lot of googling, and it doesn't seem a common problem - but the response that Dartmouth01 got in his other thread where he asked the quesiton was that this is something that is being seen more and more with asymmetrical frames, as Naza does not officially support asymmetrical frames.

So I'd like a little help please, anyone with knowledge, and particularly the guys from Quaternium - as I did not used to get this problem on my old F450.

Here is a video of the problem. Apologies that I struggled to keep it in frame, it was blowing a gale (which didn't help). You can clearly see the problem though - as soon as a hard yaw is performed, the spidex jolts at a diagonal and loses position, horizontally and vertically.

Spidex Yaw(n) (0 min 43 sec)

I have the yaw gain as low as it can be without the craft being unflyable.

I checked the COG, and forwards/backwards, in flying-setup, it slightly behind the X in the middle of the craft, but possibly only by 1cm. Can anybody do me a favour and tell me where the COG of their craft is, so I can make mine the same?

Any tips really appreciated, as it's the last thing to get working properly, with what is otherwise a fine machine.

By the way, I got a nice email from Quaternium in response to my broken gimbal query, within about 12 hours, which mirrored what moriwaky suggested - and it turns out my IMU cable was faulty. I hope to receive a replacement.

so there - PLEASE HELP! It's really annoying that I can't get on top of this issue on my own!

thanks
Old Jun 22, 2013, 03:58 PM
United States, NV, Minden
Joined Apr 2011
985 Posts
3S or 4S, what would you choose for a Spidex with T-motors 980kv, 10x5 Graupners, 30A escs?
rnelias is offline Find More Posts by rnelias
Old Jun 22, 2013, 04:06 PM
Spain, Valencia, V
Joined Nov 2007
245 Posts
Quote:
ok so this yaw problem, that Dartmouth01 also seems to have: i wanted to get it sorted once and for all, especially as it now seems I am not alone.

I've done a lot of googling, and it doesn't seem a common problem - but the response that Dartmouth01 got in his other thread where he asked the quesiton was that this is something that is being seen more and more with asymmetrical frames, as Naza does not officially support asymmetrical frames.

So I'd like a little help please, anyone with knowledge, and particularly the guys from Quaternium - as I did not used to get this problem on my old F450.

Here is a video of the problem. Apologies that I struggled to keep it in frame, it was blowing a gale (which didn't help). You can clearly see the problem though - as soon as a hard yaw is performed, the spidex jolts at a diagonal and loses position, horizontally and vertically.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ipd_W...ature=youtu.be

I have the yaw gain as low as it can be without the craft being unflyable.

I checked the COG, and forwards/backwards, in flying-setup, it slightly behind the X in the middle of the craft, but possibly only by 1cm. Can anybody do me a favour and tell me where the COG of their craft is, so I can make mine the same?

Any tips really appreciated, as it's the last thing to get working properly, with what is otherwise a fine machine.

By the way, I got a nice email from Quaternium in response to my broken gimbal query, within about 12 hours, which mirrored what moriwaky suggested - and it turns out my IMU cable was faulty. I hope to receive a replacement.

so there - PLEASE HELP! It's really annoying that I can't get on top of this issue on my own!

thanks
For improve the yaw movement please put your battery backwards. I am happy your problem with the gimbal is the imu cable it's easy to repair.
Old Jun 22, 2013, 04:08 PM
Spain, Valencia, V
Joined Nov 2007
245 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnelias View Post
3S or 4S, what would you choose for a Spidex with T-motors 980kv, 10x5 Graupners, 30A escs?
With this combo I think you can use both
Old Jun 22, 2013, 04:10 PM
Joined Apr 2013
124 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by moriwaky View Post
For improve the yaw movement please put your battery backwards. I am happy your problem with the gimbal is the imu cable it's easy to repair.
thank you - I have tried the battery further forward, and also further back. What I'd really like to know is where should I set the balance point? That would be the best thing to know.

I'll take the battery even further back to see what happens, but to be honest I reckon I'm carrying as much battery weight as anyone here - it's about 550g, and I was expecting the problem to be that I'm flying back-heavy already?

Will try it now...