HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 19, 2013, 04:13 PM
Joined Feb 2012
1 Posts
moriwaky, the demo videos are looking fantastic! I also preordered a gimbal and i cannot wait to have it in my hands / on the spidex :-). Is there any chance to get my Gopro2 working on it, in case i will build the front plate for myself - or will there be problems with the balancing, space (because of larger depth of gopro2) or the weight?

Oliver
feivel2211 is offline Find More Posts by feivel2211
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 19, 2013, 08:45 PM
aka Helidaho
United States, ID, Boise
Joined Jun 2010
2,764 Posts
I'm sorry I missed out on the pre-order but I signed up for the notification of the next order, hopefully that will be soon?

Thanks,
Paul
AeroVideoUS is offline Find More Posts by AeroVideoUS
Old Apr 19, 2013, 08:52 PM
Tegucigalpa, Honduras
Joined Feb 2007
110 Posts
just preordered mine today, check their site, the preorder is back
migser85 is offline Find More Posts by migser85
Old Apr 20, 2013, 12:42 AM
aka Helidaho
United States, ID, Boise
Joined Jun 2010
2,764 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by migser85 View Post
just preordered mine today, check their site, the preorder is back
Thanks for the info, I just put in my pre-order as well! I guess their notification system isn't as fast as RCGroups

I ordered the frame as well as it looks like a pretty good setup together. Can't wait to get it! Should improve my videos a bunch!

Paul
Old Apr 20, 2013, 06:47 AM
total newbie
Greece, Makedonia Thraki, Thessaloniki
Joined Jan 2012
90 Posts
Hi, what are some good motors to use with the spidex, I know quaternium recommend the EMP2830/11 1120kV, any other suggestions?
I would like to fly with 4S, slow/easy for AP, hopefully around 7-8mins.
Also, how long/wide is the battery space, can it fit a 4000mAh 4S?
thx
mitsaras is offline Find More Posts by mitsaras
Old Apr 20, 2013, 08:49 AM
Spain, Valencia, V
Joined Nov 2007
245 Posts
If you want to use a 4s 40000 mha you will have no problem with the battery bay. I use a gensace 3s 4000 mha and the size itīs the same as the 4s but little bite wider.

For 4s you will need a lower kw motors maybe around 900 kw but it will depence on what prop will you use.
moriwaky is online now Find More Posts by moriwaky
Old Apr 20, 2013, 10:03 AM
total newbie
Joined Jan 2012
90 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by moriwaky View Post
If you want to use a 4s 40000 mha you will have no problem with the battery bay. I use a gensace 3s 4000 mha and the size itīs the same as the 4s but little bite wider.

For 4s you will need a lower kw motors maybe around 900 kw but it will depence on what prop will you use.
Thank you moriwaky, btw I like your videos very much!
What props are you running with the 3S? I was thinking 8" or 9"
Old Apr 20, 2013, 10:19 AM
FPV Recon
United States, TX, Cedar Park
Joined Nov 2005
195 Posts
I like the 4S/900KV with 10-3.8 DJIs.
Altimat is offline Find More Posts by Altimat
Old Apr 20, 2013, 10:55 AM
total newbie
Joined Jan 2012
90 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Altimat View Post
I like the 4S/900KV with 10-3.8 DJIs.
Are you using the DJI motors as well? Can they handle the load with gimbal, Gopro & FPV Tx?

PS Just noticed you're in Texas, hope you're far away from the recent events...
Old Apr 20, 2013, 11:46 AM
total newbie
Joined Jan 2012
90 Posts
One other question moriwaky, if I may, does the BL gimbal allow access to the GoPro's USB port for video out?
Old Apr 20, 2013, 11:50 AM
Spain, Valencia, V
Joined Nov 2007
245 Posts
yes there is enought space for a right angle conector for FPV output. All my video was done in FPV.
moriwaky is online now Find More Posts by moriwaky
Old Apr 20, 2013, 12:02 PM
aka Helidaho
United States, ID, Boise
Joined Jun 2010
2,764 Posts
I would think it would be very difficult to fly from gimbal stabilized video as you wouldn't know the angle of the craft as the video would always look level.

I plan to have a separate FPV cam but am wondering if there is a place to mount it where the gimbal wont be in the way?
Old Apr 20, 2013, 12:41 PM
Joined Oct 2012
784 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroVideoUS View Post
I would think it would be very difficult to fly from gimbal stabilized video as you wouldn't know the angle of the craft as the video would always look level.

I plan to have a separate FPV cam but am wondering if there is a place to mount it where the gimbal wont be in the way?
I too was wondering about that as I intend to connect the video to the GoPro at some point. It seems plenty of people do fly this way with gimbaled cameras. You certainly can tell if you are pushing the right stick forward. My guess is you get used to knowing if you are flying crooked or not and this mostly would be to fight the wind I would think... thus being OK too.

As for motors. When I get mine I will be using Sunnysky V2216 800s, 9inch Graupners and 4s 3300 mah batts and I'll have the Spidex V2 frame. I'll report back when I see how that works. I'm thinking 10 inch Graupners might give more lift but I bought the 9 inch ones to make sure they were not in my shot using the Discovery.
AlanGold is offline Find More Posts by AlanGold
Old Apr 20, 2013, 09:43 PM
FPV Recon
United States, TX, Cedar Park
Joined Nov 2005
195 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsaras View Post
Are you using the DJI motors as well? Can they handle the load with gimbal, Gopro & FPV Tx?

PS Just noticed you're in Texas, hope you're far away from the recent events...
About 100 miles upwind when it happened and we noticed nothing here.

They are TBS motors and it flew great at 5.25 lbs. (8400mA).

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroVideoUS View Post

I'm flying with the GoPro on this latest rebuild. Not seeing the attitude of the quad when flying FPV should not be an issue at all IMO. Flight is gyro controlled with auto-leveling and the quad does exactly what stick inputs tell it to do. I see no need for visual confirmation of attitude.

There is another option besides the USB for video out.
Altimat is offline Find More Posts by Altimat
Last edited by Altimat; Apr 20, 2013 at 09:54 PM.
Old Apr 20, 2013, 11:21 PM
aka Helidaho
United States, ID, Boise
Joined Jun 2010
2,764 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanGold View Post
It seems plenty of people do fly this way with gimbaled cameras. You certainly can tell if you are pushing the right stick forward. My guess is you get used to knowing if you are flying crooked or not and this mostly would be to fight the wind I would think... thus being OK too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Altimat View Post
I'm flying with the GoPro on this latest rebuild. Not seeing the attitude of the quad when flying FPV should not be an issue at all IMO. Flight is gyro controlled with auto-leveling and the quad does exactly what stick inputs tell it to do. I see no need for visual confirmation of attitude.
True, I guess for basic, simple, slow FPV flying in auto level mode where the FC is doing most of the work then the gimbal stabilized video from the GoPro would work okay. It would be good for making sure you're getting the shot you want, that's for sure.