HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 22, 2012, 07:37 PM
United States, AZ, Seligman
Joined Nov 2011
413 Posts
Question
How do you tell which tricopter firmware you have?

How do you tell the differences between tricopter firmwares? I am not asking about all the different versions, just the difference between Kaptein Kuk's KK, Minsoo Kim's XX KR, and Mike Barton's XX.
Dave8888 is offline Find More Posts by Dave8888
to remove ads between posts
Old May 22, 2012, 08:50 PM
Hawaii
Joined Feb 2003
5,956 Posts
Let me add to the question. I flashed the KK board for Dave but I don't remember which firmware I flashed on it. It is definitely not the Mike Barton's version. So it is either Minsoo Kim's or KK's original. It seems like he can plug in tail servo to motor slots 4 and 5 to reverse the servo direction. So that makes me think I may have flashed it with the Minsoo Kim's firmware.

I have not used the original KK tricopter firmware. From everything that I have read it does not have the feature to reverse the tail servo direction by plugging it into motor slots 4 or 5.

Does anyone know for sure?
SeismicCWave is offline Find More Posts by SeismicCWave
Old May 22, 2012, 09:24 PM
Joined Nov 2011
413 Posts
My main question about this, I think I found out researching. KK's original and Minsoo Kim's both are adjusted through the pots in the same way right? Roll pot is P for pitch an roll, Pitch pot is I for pitch and roll, and Yaw pot is P for yaw. Am I correct? Also I read Mike Barton's firmware needs a LCD screen to adjust everything, again am I correct?
Old May 23, 2012, 04:30 AM
Slovenia, Ljubljana
Joined Sep 2011
1,527 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave8888 View Post
My main question about this, I think I found out researching. KK's original and Minsoo Kim's both are adjusted through the pots in the same way right? Roll pot is P for pitch an roll, Pitch pot is I for pitch and roll, and Yaw pot is P for yaw. Am I correct? Also I read Mike Barton's firmware needs a LCD screen to adjust everything, again am I correct?
Minsoo's FW doesn't have PID included. Just raw gyro gain

kapteinkuk's and Mike's does have PI. But with Mike's FW you have to have LCD. Kaptein's have roll pot for P and pitch pot for I.
er9xuser is offline Find More Posts by er9xuser
Old May 23, 2012, 01:35 PM
Hawaii
Joined Feb 2003
5,956 Posts
>> KK's original and Minsoo Kim's both are adjusted through the pots in the same way right? <<

KK V1.X and Minsoo Kim V1.X and 2.X both adjust through the pots the same way. All the gains are adjusted via the three pots.

>>Roll pot is P for pitch an roll, Pitch pot is I for pitch and roll, and Yaw pot is P for yaw. <<

NO, that is only valid in the "improved" KK firmware V4.X.

>>Also I read Mike Barton's firmware needs a LCD screen to adjust everything, again am I correct?<<

Yes.
Old May 23, 2012, 02:29 PM
KK Tri Flyer
United Kingdom, Scotland, Glasgow
Joined Feb 2012
346 Posts
On KK v1.6 Tricopter firmware, roll pot is P for pitch+roll, pitch pot is I for pitch+roll, yaw pot is P for yaw (same as KK quad v4.7). On earlier KK Tri firmware it's just simple pitch, roll and yaw according to the labels on the board.
mattcro is offline Find More Posts by mattcro
Old May 23, 2012, 02:42 PM
Joined Nov 2011
413 Posts
So, Minsoo Kim v2.5 Tricopter is just gyro gain on the pots, no PI loop?
Old May 23, 2012, 03:12 PM
Hawaii
Joined Feb 2003
5,956 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave8888 View Post
So, Minsoo Kim v2.5 Tricopter is just gyro gain on the pots, no PI loop?
Minsoo doesn't have PI.