to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 15, 2012, 04:16 PM
west suburb of cleveland oh
Joined Nov 2004
197 Posts
yoda

Thanks doug
don
Test flew my yoda today. Just hand launched did some trim cant wait to try on slope. Came out a little heavy 217g or 7.5oz think i can shave another oz off. has 5g alerion servos 9g for rud and elevator. 700 life 2s to get balance at 50%.
don
dvk44039 is offline Find More Posts by dvk44039
Old Sep 15, 2012, 05:28 PM
Joined Nov 2004
197 Posts
yoda

here is pic of my yoda it is covered with 1.2 lamainte that i got here
http://www.mybinding.com/.sc/ms/dd/e...h-Core-3021942
real good price is low temp but dont have any of the new stuff to compare it to.
don
Old Sep 16, 2012, 05:55 AM
Planes dress doors...
Australia, QLD, Kippa-Ring
Joined Mar 2011
666 Posts
That's so cool! I can't believe someone actually made one of these! You'll love it!

Please take some video when you get to maiden it!
Rhys Porter is offline Find More Posts by Rhys Porter
Old Sep 16, 2012, 05:56 AM
Planes dress doors...
Joined Mar 2011
666 Posts
Hey Doug - care to explain the T system a little more? I'm not sure how you intend it to go together?
Old Sep 16, 2012, 06:25 AM
Joined Nov 2004
197 Posts
drips t

rhys
he included a link he is using the t for the piviot for horz and vert stab. Would work but will have to go to home depot and get one to see how heavy it is . i used 4 mm carbon and brass tubing. cs tubing tubing and then wraped with dental floss then saturated it with more ca. for horz same procedure first to bulas blockand then to carbon rod.
Yes cant wait to fly on slope we get a lot of light slope lift here got 3 more sets of parts on bench going to make for flying buddies. May make soom more for anyone interested. should be able to ship fairly reasonbly and it not to big a wing.

Did you weigh your yoda when you finished it?
want to make pull pull system with the mechancal expo so the resoulotion on servo is better.
Don
Old Sep 16, 2012, 07:59 AM
Glendale,Az.
Joined Oct 2004
3,539 Posts
RP- I ended up using carbon tubing because I did not have any carbon tube that would fit the inside of thee drip T- I tied mine to the boom with 12 k carbon tow and Ca, it is rock solid and light so far. I will post auw weights on the new thread i started.

i should of installed the mechanical expo system "Proper" came up with on the surfaces, it would of made sense.
doug
dougmontgomery is offline Find More Posts by dougmontgomery
Old Sep 18, 2012, 07:37 PM
Joined Nov 2004
197 Posts
yoda
tryed to get first slope flight in but wind would not be have...
winds are saposed to be light this wked so may get achance
will try to get some pics and vid
next up swiss yoda!!!!
Old Sep 18, 2012, 10:43 PM
Joined Oct 2011
10 Posts
Looks like a fun plane. I think I might build one. Few questions.
1) What did you find to be the best CG (Balance Point)
2) You listed two possible airfoils on the plans, what would you recommend
3) What is the thickness used on the airfoil for both tip and root
4) Was any washout /in used on the airfoil
5) Did you use flat balsa for the tail or did you cut foam. If you used foam what airfoil if any?

Thanks for the help.
disco369 is offline Find More Posts by disco369
Old Sep 19, 2012, 05:58 AM
Planes dress doors...
Joined Mar 2011
666 Posts
A couple of helpful answers...

1) I never got to measure the CG before it was destroyed... I started well forward and just moved back until it was barely flyable.
2) Out of the two airfoils, I liked the SB better. I found the TP42 a lot less stable for some reason, but please keep in mind my hotwire cutting skills and vac bagging setup leaves much to be desired. I'm sure both foils were nothing like the originals intended...
3) Thickness is just whatever the foil is listed as. I didn't thin it down at all.
4) No washout/in at all.. Besides, if i wanted it, I doubt my hotwire skills would be able to replicate it. The ailerons are so massive that it probably wouldn't have made a difference.
5) Cut foam, I cut a flat plate and roughly sanded it to a foil.

The way I had this setup was like trying to balance an egg on a knitting needle... If you left it alone it WOULD stabilise and keep it's line, but as soon as you touched it the tinyest bit you'd be upside down, back to front and probably a different colour before you realised it. I liked that... But when i brought the CG forward, the Yoda was docile and happy to putter around the sky all day long with mellow elevator rates and aileron rates around 10%....

Happy building! I better get around to doing another one i suppose...

For those interested... the current one failed at the wing cutout. Because the fuse is so narrow and there's not much area behind the wing TE... It split there and vertically from the LE of the wing. If you're building one and have the skills, make it a two piece wing with a joiner in the middle to avoid this..
Old Sep 19, 2012, 07:24 AM
Joined Oct 2011
10 Posts
Thanks for the quick reply. I'll let you know how it turns out.
disco369 is offline Find More Posts by disco369
Old Sep 19, 2012, 10:23 PM
Joined Nov 2004
197 Posts
did some more tip launching broke the rudder mount so after some brain storming went and wonderd around home depot but they had put all the dripit stuff away for season. so went and bought a plastic cutting board for $3.99 and cut some rectangles and drilled the proper size holesfor the piviots and boom made new surfaces and got second one built for trip to Roan moutian this wkend will get some pics up next wk.
don
Old Sep 20, 2012, 12:30 PM
JimN8UAY
United States, OH, Medina
Joined Oct 2004
614 Posts
Have a great time down south and say hello to Kaan for me! Take some video if you can, too. Looks like a fun project, Don. Cut me some cores when you get back!

Jim C
(only 3,542 days til I retire! lol)
Jimn8uay is offline Find More Posts by Jimn8uay
Last edited by Jimn8uay; Sep 20, 2012 at 12:30 PM. Reason: more!
Old Oct 03, 2012, 12:39 PM
Joined Nov 2004
197 Posts
swissed yoda

swissed yoda
wind is light now predicted to build going to try yoda and see how it handles.
don
Old Oct 03, 2012, 12:43 PM
Glendale,Az.
Joined Oct 2004
3,539 Posts
Nice work- can you show your rudder mechanism and linkgage- good luck on the maiden-

what is your auw-
doug
dougmontgomery is offline Find More Posts by dougmontgomery