HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 27, 2012, 06:04 PM
United States, FL, Indialantic
Joined Dec 2011
858 Posts
Well, Andrew, you continue to impress with your flying, narration, filming and editing. Lovely tribute to a beautiful place, good times, good friends and great memories.

Mention to Rhys that he won't get maximum performance out of the Yoda until green and hairy the Earudder becomes.

Ken
Snewk is offline Find More Posts by Snewk
to remove ads between posts
Old May 27, 2012, 10:17 PM
Planes dress doors...
Australia, QLD, Kippa-Ring
Joined Mar 2011
665 Posts
Haha if i could work out how to put little hairy bits on the rudder I would :-D

Thanks for the compliments guys - it really wasn't hard...

Up in Cairns for a week, didn't bring anything to fly but it's wiiiiiindy!! 25+ knots all week.
Rhys Porter is offline Find More Posts by Rhys Porter
Old May 27, 2012, 11:41 PM
UK
Joined Sep 2002
1,374 Posts

[QUOTE=Rhys Porter;21729897]Haha if i could work out how to put little hairy bits on the rudderQUOTE]
QUIKSILVER is offline Find More Posts by QUIKSILVER
Old May 28, 2012, 09:15 AM
Shane Spoor
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Sep 2006
374 Posts
The Yoda is great Rhys ,good to see someone local going down the same road
My new aerobat is on the drawing board ,just need to finish up some repairs.
good bye Bandicoot
PlayinInTheParK is offline Find More Posts by PlayinInTheParK
Old Jul 20, 2012, 04:53 AM
Planes dress doors...
Australia, QLD, Kippa-Ring
Joined Mar 2011
665 Posts
Hey everyone, been a while since I had a good fly of the Yoda, But AVB and I went up to Bald Knob today and I had a blast...

Wind was light so I went straight to the Yoda, with it's wonky elevator and all - felt ok though and I got some really good combo's in - rudder flat spin to backflips were the catch of the day, and I even managed to stick a couple that stopped only 30cm off the deck... Really good fun.

At one point I smacked a wingtip and broke the wing in half where the aileron starts at the root, it also broke the elevator mount off, cracked the nose and pulled the tail boom loose and jammed the rudder. But after 15minutes of CA and 5 minute it was back... only to snap a pull/pull linkage that had accidentally been CA'd and kickered so it melted... Ah well - the moral of the story iiiissss....... (wait for it) There's a new Yoda coming!!!

After much discussion, the fat nose idea doesn't really have any point to it. At least not on a rudder flippable glider. It won't hover in a knife edge despite the rudder throw, and it's just a nightmare trying to keep all the gear in the nose without it crumbling. Plus it looks ugly with such a big cutaway behind the wing. I think the only benefit of having such a big nose, is the way you can flat spin 180 degrees and have it flip inverted. That's kind of cool, but I think it's got more to do with the rudder throw.

The new one will have:
- The same high aspect wing (which really helps the tumbles), but on a DLG style fuse with narrow nose. (I might even use my Topsky Fuse).
- I'm going with 90* up and 45* down on the elevator again , this time using a single pushrod that sits externally on top of the boom,
- Full 160* on the rudder using a pulley system on the servo, and horns on the rudder. I've found that 180* throw doesn't give any faster rudder flip response, and 80* each way will allow the flat spin to inverted.

So that's the plan! I took some GoPro video today so i'll edit it up, and get it posted sometime this week.
Rhys Porter is offline Find More Posts by Rhys Porter
Old Jul 20, 2012, 05:55 PM
Cliff
Australia, QLD, Pacific Paradise
Joined Oct 2011
370 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhys Porter View Post
Hey everyone, been a while since I had a good fly of the Yoda, But AVB and I went up to Bald Knob today and I had a blast...

Wind was light so I went straight to the Yoda, with it's wonky elevator and all - felt ok though and I got some really good combo's in - rudder flat spin to backflips were the catch of the day, and I even managed to stick a couple that stopped only 30cm off the deck... Really good fun.

At one point I smacked a wingtip and broke the wing in half where the aileron starts at the root, it also broke the elevator mount off, cracked the nose and pulled the tail boom loose and jammed the rudder. But after 15minutes of CA and 5 minute it was back... only to snap a pull/pull linkage that had accidentally been CA'd and kickered so it melted... Ah well - the moral of the story iiiissss....... (wait for it) There's a new Yoda coming!!!

After much discussion, the fat nose idea doesn't really have any point to it. At least not on a rudder flippable glider. It won't hover in a knife edge despite the rudder throw, and it's just a nightmare trying to keep all the gear in the nose without it crumbling. Plus it looks ugly with such a big cutaway behind the wing. I think the only benefit of having such a big nose, is the way you can flat spin 180 degrees and have it flip inverted. That's kind of cool, but I think it's got more to do with the rudder throw.

The new one will have:
- The same high aspect wing (which really helps the tumbles), but on a DLG style fuse with narrow nose. (I might even use my Topsky Fuse).
- I'm going with 90* up and 45* down on the elevator again , this time using a single pushrod that sits externally on top of the boom,
- Full 160* on the rudder using a pulley system on the servo, and horns on the rudder. I've found that 180* throw doesn't give any faster rudder flip response, and 80* each way will allow the flat spin to inverted.

So that's the plan! I took some GoPro video today so i'll edit it up, and get it posted sometime this week.
Rhys : I think the only benefit of having such a big nose, is the way you can navigate your way through the cow pats at Bald Knob while doing ultrabatics without having to take your eyes off your glider
Cliff
16141 is offline Find More Posts by 16141
Old Jul 20, 2012, 06:30 PM
AvB
Wind, hill, ... I'm keen ...
Australia, QLD, Woody Point
Joined Nov 2006
4,494 Posts
Cliff I sort of agree with you there! I quite like the big nose. It's different to anything else. When I look at that video I took at Bandicoot, of it flying across the sunset, I smile at how distinctive it looks!

The Yoda is fun to watch. I think it's a real achievement and a credit to Rhys. I admire his energy in working so fast on designing, flying and fixing his planes. I must be getting old ... I scratch my head and think "I was like that once" and when I see the amazing flying he does (only having started RC about 18 months ago) I just keep scratching my head and go "yeah right! how the heck does he do that!" I told him yesterday that doing ultrabatics requires a newer operating system than the one that's in my head. I'm overclocking the CPU just doing a low roll across the lip. The over clocking is fine ... the problem is when that hourglass symbol (spinning wheel for mac users) appears and the brain stops responding when the plane's upside down just a few feet off the deck.
AvB is offline Find More Posts by AvB
Old Aug 01, 2012, 02:40 AM
Cliff
Australia, QLD, Pacific Paradise
Joined Oct 2011
370 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AvB View Post
Cliff I sort of agree with you there! I quite like the big nose. It's different to anything else. When I look at that video I took at Bandicoot, of it flying across the sunset, I smile at how distinctive it looks!

The Yoda is fun to watch. I think it's a real achievement and a credit to Rhys. I admire his energy in working so fast on designing, flying and fixing his planes. I must be getting old ... I scratch my head and think "I was like that once" and when I see the amazing flying he does (only having started RC about 18 months ago) I just keep scratching my head and go "yeah right! how the heck does he do that!" I told him yesterday that doing ultrabatics requires a newer operating system than the one that's in my head. I'm overclocking the CPU just doing a low roll across the lip. The over clocking is fine ... the problem is when that hourglass symbol (spinning wheel for mac users) appears and the brain stops responding when the plane's upside down just a few feet off the deck.
I agree the fuse and name give the YODA XTRA LITE ULTRABAT its identity
16141 is offline Find More Posts by 16141
Last edited by 16141; Aug 01, 2012 at 02:46 AM. Reason: CAPS
Old Aug 02, 2012, 01:28 AM
Edmonton Canada
Joined Mar 2007
161 Posts
I got dibs on DODO Ultrabatics Extreme
Great effort thanks for putting it out here for us.
hansdms is offline Find More Posts by hansdms
Last edited by hansdms; Aug 02, 2012 at 01:33 AM.
Old Aug 07, 2012, 02:51 PM
Israel, Israel, Herzliyya
Joined Mar 2011
14 Posts
Rhys: I've been following your thread. I just love Yoda. The simple and clean design, the excellent flying characteristics. I also enjoyed the vids. Beautiful flying.

I'm getting now an itch in my fingers to have a go at building my own Yoda.
You wrote that a new one is coming. But before that you said you will share some more photos of the original Yoda.

I hope it is not too much to ask for photos of the original Yoda? The mechanics, servo placement, pull-pull system, elevator axis, battery placement, wings (only foam, or also covering?)...
I'm sure you've already gained a lot of insight into Yoda, and I'm hoping this insight can be shared. what areas need reinforcement, GC, etc.

btw, the fact it is built from blue foam and a carbon rod boom makes it super-accessible for guys like me, who don't have fancy DLG booms and composite capabilities ... I don't even have access to EPP boards to cut wings from.
Pomer is offline Find More Posts by Pomer
Old Aug 07, 2012, 11:49 PM
Rather be flyin
Tucson, Arizona
Joined Mar 2008
450 Posts
Great looking bird and I love the name! Subscribed!
tom83
tom83 is offline Find More Posts by tom83
Old Sep 14, 2012, 10:22 AM
west suburb of cleveland oh
Joined Nov 2004
195 Posts
yoda

got all the parts cut out how long is the tail boom
thanks don
dvk44039 is offline Find More Posts by dvk44039
Old Sep 14, 2012, 12:21 PM
Glendale,Az.
Joined Oct 2004
3,538 Posts
Rp- Nice work dlg style- I heard someone had thought about a dlg type ultrabatic and your looks very worthy. Have you looked into drips system connectors for the hinge surfaces to the boom on the rudder? they have a T that would work well.

keep up the great work.

doug
dougmontgomery is offline Find More Posts by dougmontgomery
Old Sep 14, 2012, 01:31 PM
west suburb of cleveland oh
Joined Nov 2004
195 Posts
doug
some more detail on the drips system a link maybe
thanks don
dvk44039 is offline Find More Posts by dvk44039
Old Sep 14, 2012, 03:15 PM
Glendale,Az.
Joined Oct 2004
3,538 Posts
irrigation T

here you go, it would work fine for a light weight model, purchased from Lowes or HD.

http://www.dripworks.com/product/18T

doug

RP- After flying the Holiday weekend at Gp and my DLG was the bomb at 10 ounces, 1.5 meters(except the dihedral), I think you have a very great idea here, i may have to work on a project like this????
dougmontgomery is offline Find More Posts by dougmontgomery