HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 23, 2012, 06:41 PM
Planes dress doors...
Australia, QLD, Kippa-Ring
Joined Mar 2011
667 Posts
Nice!!! When you said direct drive I had images of the rudder running straight off the Servo spline, but that looks much easier to do (Provided you can get hold of the little gears).

Wish they made strong servo's that would fit on the end of a DLG boom haha...
Rhys Porter is offline Find More Posts by Rhys Porter
to remove ads between posts
Old May 23, 2012, 07:00 PM
FSD
Definite Flight Risk
Joined Apr 2008
2,678 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhys Porter View Post
Nice!!! When you said direct drive I had images of the rudder running straight off the Servo spline, but that looks much easier to do (Provided you can get hold of the little gears).

Wish they made strong servo's that would fit on the end of a DLG boom haha...
Yeah...it isn't that practical for your purposes. The tail weight alone would probably be an issue. It worked pretty well though as long as you remembered to take it off high rates...lol

Paige
FSD is offline Find More Posts by FSD
RCG Plus Member
Old May 23, 2012, 07:16 PM
Livin ...The Endless Summer
United States, CA, San Juan Capistrano
Joined May 2011
7,311 Posts
GREAT WORK !!
Subscribed!!!

Rubio
67econoline is offline Find More Posts by 67econoline
Old May 23, 2012, 07:37 PM
AvB
Wind, hill, ... I'm keen ...
Australia, QLD, Woody Point
Joined Nov 2006
4,687 Posts
Really nice Rhys! I love your work ... constantly working on stuff in that pokey tiny garden shed of yours, with a foam offcut holding up one corner of your workbench!! I can hardly stand up in there the roof is so low!! Fantastic stuff mate. I fondled the wing but haven't yet seen the finished plane ... it was so light and fragile, but exciting ...
AvB is offline Find More Posts by AvB
Old May 23, 2012, 11:33 PM
Planes dress doors...
Joined Mar 2011
667 Posts
Just pulled it out of the car to show AVB, and crunched the Rudder on the parcel shelf It snapped the little tube holding the rudder on which will require some surgery to fix... BUGGER!

Was planning on test flying this arvo after work... But with only 20mins of light left, and a 12min drive to the slope It's not looking' good!
Old May 24, 2012, 12:46 AM
ERS....Energy Retention System
gold coast australia
Joined Aug 2008
5,590 Posts
Very cool Rhys.... That northerly kicked in yet ?
timbuck is online now Find More Posts by timbuck
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Gizmo 36 pics
Old May 24, 2012, 01:12 AM
Planes dress doors...
Joined Mar 2011
667 Posts
Not yet... Still only about 10 knots outside work...

Gotta put a full night in tonight to get the Yoda rudder fixed, MiniVec flutter proof and D40 servo's in for Saturday
Old May 24, 2012, 01:46 AM
gold coast australia
Joined Aug 2008
5,590 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhys Porter View Post
Not yet... Still only about 10 knots outside work...

Gotta put a full night in tonight to get the Yoda rudder fixed, MiniVec flutter proof and D40 servo's in for Saturday
Maybe.....rain might keep us down the hill.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 24, 2012, 01:50 AM
Planes dress doors...
Joined Mar 2011
667 Posts
We've got one fly at Bandicoot to use up - so might head there for one last hurrah.
Old May 24, 2012, 01:51 AM
Planes dress doors...
Joined Mar 2011
667 Posts
Back to the Yoda - Boss has stepped out for the arvo so I might get a chance to put a new tube on the back before 5pm
Old May 24, 2012, 03:36 AM
Planes dress doors...
Joined Mar 2011
667 Posts
So.... Funny story really...

The boss left... Dodging the security cameras and nosy neighbours I ran out to the car and hurriedly fixed up the Yoda tail. Ripped out the spar and broken shaft. CA'd a new one in - wrapped super nylon thread around the spare to stop it cracking again... Threw it back in the boot and once again tiptoed around the cameras to get back into the shop...

5pm came around and I was soooo excited - the wind showed 5-8 knots blowing bang onto our local slope. It was gonna be ooooonnnnnn like donkey kong....

Closed up the shop, locked the door - one last check I took everything out of the shop - Laptop - check, GoPro to film the awesomeness - Check, Yoda which will perform awesomeness - check... Transmitter.... Where's the transmitter.... DAMMIT!!!!!!!!

I put it on charge last night in the shed... 10mins drive in the opposite direction to the slope... And with my 15min flying window fast depleting, I spied my brothers Turnigy 9x in the car with a spare RX... but with no model memory programmed, and only a rough idea of how to program it... I'd have to fly without snap flap, without expo and without dual rates...All of which would be mighty handy on a maiden flight...

I gave up and sulked home At least the Yoda's fixed....
Old May 24, 2012, 03:40 AM
gold coast australia
Joined Aug 2008
5,590 Posts
Bugger....
RCG Plus Member
Old May 24, 2012, 04:51 AM
AvB
Joined Nov 2006
4,687 Posts
Rhys you're spending too much time around me, obviously, and taking on my behaviours.
Old May 26, 2012, 07:02 PM
AvB
Joined Nov 2006
4,687 Posts
Yesterday we flew at our favourite all-round slope and DS site: Bandicoot ridge here in Queensland. A happy day because it was brilliant fun, light wind, a beautiful day etc. But sad because the owners have decided they don't want visitors coming there until he retires and is back living on the farm full time, so this was our last visit for a few years at least. It's an amazingly good site that just seems to always come up with great sloping, whatever the weather.

Anyway, Rhys was desperate to get a "proper" fly of his Yoda so he was in the car at 7am to make sure he got some wind, as it was forecast to drop out during the day. (it didn't and we flew till sunset ... perfect ...) anyway driving up the ridge, some distance from the top Bernd and I could see Rhys VTPRing his new homebrew "Yoda" around in a most agile floaty tumbley manner!

It was a great day for sloping and DS and Rhys flew his D40 and his Minivec too, getting plenty of frontside fun and DS laps. But he was most in love with the Yoda, and for good reason. It was mesmerizing to watch, tumbling around almost touching the tops of the thick lantana bushes. He gave me a go of flying it. I was a bit scared - never having had a VTPR plane I expected to find it uncontrollable, but it was nice to fly. Hard to get used to the spring centred right stick feeding in camber and reflex for "4 axis control". Very light and agile and it's amazing when you make it do a flip! Jarred also had a fly and loved it too - whooping with joy at the flips. It weighs less than 300gm and flies like some sort of insect. Or like a DLG crossed with a Le Fish. Top marks to Rhys for an amazing little design. That thing is fun.
Old May 26, 2012, 07:20 PM
United States, FL, Indialantic
Joined Dec 2011
858 Posts
AvB; Thanks for the report. Been missing your "voice" since finishing the Cali DS Expedition. Did Rhys remember to charge and pack his video cam for this session?

Ken
Snewk is offline Find More Posts by Snewk