Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Nov 18, 2012, 02:31 PM
Estonie, Tallinn
Joined Nov 2010
72 Posts
Hello all

just reading the last page, I 'm getting scared setuping mine on my 600 trex... don't want to get an uncontrol flip while activating the baby..

somebody says that it requires experience with 3GX, right.. I was thinking that if the heli is already setuped with 3GX, only the APS module had to be setuped also, am I wrong ?
fredouille is offline Find More Posts by fredouille
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 20, 2012, 12:13 PM
1.21 Gigawatts!
Irvine, CA, USA
Joined Oct 2000
7,358 Posts
You need to check the firmware on 3GX. It needs to be V2.1 or later.

Also the throttle/pitch curve need to be 0-25-50-75-100.

I know of 5 different APS owners, some fly their system almost on weekly basis, including mine. Not one has experienced any of this "uncontrollable flip." No matter which system is being used, improper setup will obviously lead to abnormal behavior. If it still flips over once it's properly setup and flown, then that would point to some serious bug in the software, which hasn't been the case.
Steph280 is online now Find More Posts by Steph280
Old Nov 20, 2012, 03:07 PM
Estonie, Tallinn
Joined Nov 2010
72 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steph280 View Post
You need to check the firmware on 3GX. It needs to be V2.1 or later.

Also the throttle/pitch curve need to be 0-25-50-75-100.

I know of 5 different APS owners, some fly their system almost on weekly basis, including mine. Not one has experienced any of this "uncontrollable flip." No matter which system is being used, improper setup will obviously lead to abnormal behavior. If it still flips over once it's properly setup and flown, then that would point to some serious bug in the software, which hasn't been the case.
I will check 3GX

for the curves, I keep the normal curves in normal flight mode right ?
if APS or GPS is activated then 0-25-50-75-100 ? I'm not sure how to do this on the radio
Old Nov 20, 2012, 04:30 PM
1.21 Gigawatts!
Irvine, CA, USA
Joined Oct 2000
7,358 Posts
Sorry I mean pitch curve needs to remain 0-25-50-75-100 for all flight modes. Throttle curve need to be a flat line like 80-80-80-80-80 for idle up, which lets the ESC's governor regulate the speed.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 01:14 AM
Estonie, Tallinn
Joined Nov 2010
72 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steph280 View Post
Sorry I mean pitch curve needs to remain 0-25-50-75-100 for all flight modes. Throttle curve need to be a flat line like 80-80-80-80-80 for idle up, which lets the ESC's governor regulate the speed.
I see, so the APS interact also in normal mode of flying ? with no stabilisation or GPS?
Old Nov 21, 2012, 08:54 AM
Joined Jun 2009
41 Posts
3 common mistakes

You can't have any stick input when switching modes I.e. into APS...fingers off sticks!

Make sure to do the throttle calibration correctly.

You need a separate adequate bec/battery supply, I.e. castle pro with APS the power needed used goes way up. Don't know why but for sure. Brown outs caused me a bunch until I figured this out.

Most roll in and crash are from doing the natural thing and flying at all times and flipping into APS ... You Must be off the sticks when switching into APS or you mess up its idea of level. Setup requires a swash leveler and perfect setup.. Of 8 and 12 degrees. Climb high before switching into APS and be prepared to switch back and recover if it acts up..

If your looking for the APS to save you... Think again.. Time and money better spent getting proficient.. Want a easy to fly Heli go with DJI Wookong H, you can leave the mode in stabilize and level and relax from takeoff to landing.. Please know that with any autopilot if setup isn't perfect you WILL crash.
katarinaconnor is offline Find More Posts by katarinaconnor
Old Nov 21, 2012, 12:17 PM
Estonie, Tallinn
Joined Nov 2010
72 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by katarinaconnor View Post

If your looking for the APS to save you... Think again.. Time and money better spent getting proficient.. Want a easy to fly Heli go with DJI Wookong H, you can leave the mode in stabilize and level and relax from takeoff to landing.. Please know that with any autopilot if setup isn't perfect you WILL crash.
this was the idea to save me !!! the Wookong i already use for multi rotor.. I wanted to change

right now my trex 600 us working well since 2 years all is setuped correctly, I just want to install APS pluged on an existing good configuration.. I'm not able to recover a flip.. I flying very cool , I never changed the main blade for exemple !!!
Old Nov 24, 2012, 05:01 AM
Estonie, Tallinn
Joined Nov 2010
72 Posts
I'm about to upgrade first 3GX to ... 2.1 ot 3 ? who tested 3 with APS?
do we loose setings while upgrading from 1.1?
Old Nov 24, 2012, 02:26 PM
Zero to pro in 18 months.
Canada, BC, Sechelt
Joined May 2008
1,349 Posts
nice little 'save-my-ass' unit.
Sabin is online now Find More Posts by Sabin
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 02, 2012, 02:26 PM
Estonie, Tallinn
Joined Nov 2010
72 Posts
Hello All

currently setuping mine step by step.. I was wondering how to change pit and th curves while entering in APS/GPS modes ? I have really no idea, I'm using a WK DEVO12S radio, thinking about some mixing stuffs, I never used any function, what is the idea to setup default curves while changing gain swtich ?
Old Dec 03, 2012, 10:16 AM
Joined Jun 2009
41 Posts
Huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredouille View Post
Hello All

currently setuping mine step by step.. I was wondering how to change pit and th curves while entering in APS/GPS modes ? I have really no idea, I'm using a WK DEVO12S radio, thinking about some mixing stuffs, I never used any function, what is the idea to setup default curves while changing gain swtich ?
Just do your normal setup nothing changes with naza except you don't use CCPM mixing in radio per instructions. CCPM function is done by naza in all modes including manual. When you flip to atti or GPS the naza freezes throttle and pitch is controlled by naza altimeter relative to your stick your stick. It takes your stick position and assumes that is hover. Start with a good setup and trimmed first.
katarinaconnor is offline Find More Posts by katarinaconnor
Old Dec 14, 2012, 12:53 AM
1.21 Gigawatts!
Irvine, CA, USA
Joined Oct 2000
7,358 Posts
The g800 gimbal system and gs800 gimbal stabilizer designed to be used with APS is going to be released next week.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1788034
Old Dec 31, 2012, 01:56 PM
Cincinnati, OH USA
Joined Oct 2000
1,956 Posts
I'm in the process of setting up APS on my T-Rex 500 DFC, which has already been flown a couple dozen times with the stock 3GX setup.

BTW, I don't understand the criticism of 3GX; the programming procedure is rather different than other FBL systems I've set up (MicroBeast and HC3-SX), but it wasn't difficult and works very well for my flying style, which is scale-like with some mild acro.

Two questions, primarily for Steph280, since you've had success with this system:

1. Are you using a stand-alone high-output BEC (Castle BEC-Pro or similar) or flying with the Align ESC's internal BEC?

2. The manual directs the installer to use the supplied Y-harness to connect the APS to the throttle port on the 3GX. Since this lead is positive and ground only (no signal), is there a reason not to just plug it into the "BATT/AUX OUT" port? This would certainly be neater than using the bulky Y-harness.

Jim
Jim Ryan is offline Find More Posts by Jim Ryan
Old Feb 09, 2013, 07:33 AM
Estonie, Tallinn
Joined Nov 2010
72 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by katarinaconnor View Post
Just do your normal setup nothing changes with naza except you don't use CCPM mixing in radio per instructions. CCPM function is done by naza in all modes including manual. When you flip to atti or GPS the naza freezes throttle and pitch is controlled by naza altimeter relative to your stick your stick. It takes your stick position and assumes that is hover. Start with a good setup and trimmed first.

hello

I update this thread, I didn't see your answer

it is not so simple.

as soon as you enter in APS/GPS mode you must have linear pit and throutle curvers.. I don't know how to do this, I have only the possibility to change the curses depending on the Fmode
Old Mar 10, 2013, 06:54 PM
Cincinnati, OH USA
Joined Oct 2000
1,956 Posts
Losing Altitude in APS Mode

I'm having an issue with my APS that has me stumped. In 3GX mode my T-rex 500 flies normally. When I switch to APS mode the position hold seems solid, but the unit doesn't allow enough positive collective to maintain altitude (on the ground it looks like max collective travel in APS is maybe +2 degrees although it has considerably more negative travel - probably 6 or 7 degrees). So when I toggle to APS the heli gradually sinks even though I can hear RPM pick up.

Any ideas what the issue is here? I'm using a Spektrum DX7s, and setup is exactly per the manual - 8 degrees of cyclic travel and +/-12 degrees of collective. All diagnostic and calibration tests run fine.

I've scratched a raw spot on my head, but I'm not any closer to figuring out what's going on here. Suggestions?

Jim
Jim Ryan is offline Find More Posts by Jim Ryan