SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 08, 2012, 12:36 AM
Port Coquitlam, BC CANADA
Joined Jun 2009
2,084 Posts
A quad would not work for you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by philip frank View Post
i was only wanting it for postition and altitude hold for ap work.
Stumblebee is offline Find More Posts by Stumblebee
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 08, 2012, 05:20 AM
sbt
Greece
Joined Oct 2009
75 Posts
not my videos but they are interesting
20120707 - 04 - DJI Ace One and Align APS Hover Test 2 (6 min 45 sec)

20120708 - 02 - Align APS Hover Test at 100m (3 min 55 sec)
sbt is offline Find More Posts by sbt
Old Jul 08, 2012, 06:12 AM
ft. worth
Joined Jul 2004
914 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumblebee View Post
A quad would not work for you?
I would use it on a twin of this heli with a flybar:
philip frank is offline Find More Posts by philip frank
Old Jul 10, 2012, 07:08 AM
Joined Dec 2011
2 Posts
Hi, that was caused by vibration, it's much better now
20120710 - 01 - DJI Ace One and Align APS Hover Together (7 min 15 sec)

20120710 - 02 - Align APS Hover at 100m (5 min 35 sec)
znbang is offline Find More Posts by znbang
Old Jul 18, 2012, 01:11 PM
1.21 Gigawatts!
Irvine, CA, USA
Joined Oct 2000
7,531 Posts
Just got back from the field after doing the maiden flight with APS system. Did the magnetometer calibration and vibration test flight at the field, which was a lot simpler than I thought. I'm using my old T-Rex 600 as test bed, which has some visible vibration on skids and tail fins. Didn't think it would pass the vibration test but it did, twice.

Throttle calibration is simply for the semi-autonomous takeoff/landing. It uses the calibration process to see what the range is. It does not control the throttle.

The position holding capability is excellent. I can see how this system would work really well for aerial photography/cinematography. The heli didn't move an inch hovering at about 150 feet in wind of about 15mph. There were no bad tendencies switching in or out of the APS or GPS mode.

I will be doing some more flights this weekend and try the waypoint capabilities. Then eventually move the system to my T-Rex 700.

I believe this system is meant to compete with DJI Ace One (shown in video above) which costs $3200 without waypoint option. I think it basically has killed it at that price point. I suspect the price of similar GPS system will start to come down from the stratosphere soon. Remember, Align was also the one who forced all competitors to re-price their heli products. This is just the beginning of a price war.

Align has also mentioned there will be video and data downlink system available in the near future, along with the T-Rex 800 and gimbal system to complete the package.
Steph280 is offline Find More Posts by Steph280
Old Jul 18, 2012, 01:19 PM
Joined Jul 2011
1,389 Posts
nice. can't wait to see more flight vid and review. I am pulling trigger...........
wlee1017 is offline Find More Posts by wlee1017
Old Jul 18, 2012, 04:24 PM
1.21 Gigawatts!
Irvine, CA, USA
Joined Oct 2000
7,531 Posts
Here's a comprehensive setup video that walks through everything, including APS setup and 3GX setup.

ALIGN APS GYRO SETUP INTRODUCTION (31 min 33 sec)
Old Jul 19, 2012, 04:33 PM
1.21 Gigawatts!
Irvine, CA, USA
Joined Oct 2000
7,531 Posts
More videos start to trickle in. Here's an unboxing video from Jeff Fassbinder.
ALIGN APS Overview (7 min 0 sec)
Old Jul 19, 2012, 07:03 PM
Joined Jul 2011
1,389 Posts
thanks steph280.
wlee1017 is offline Find More Posts by wlee1017
Old Jul 24, 2012, 03:47 PM
1.21 Gigawatts!
Irvine, CA, USA
Joined Oct 2000
7,531 Posts
APS Radio Programming

ALIGN APS Radio Programming (6 min 26 sec)
Old Jul 27, 2012, 09:38 PM
KittyKatt
Joined May 2012
50 Posts
Compitition for Wookong H

Have two Wookong H lites, $700 and they set up nice and fly really really nice but to move up to the GPS costs $550 more which is crazy! For a few hundred more than the no gps lite I can get the entire Align.. Hopefully DJI will get more real. The WKM Gps unit is half the price of the Heli version, $250 vs $550 and of course the Ace One is over 3k to start and a bunch more to do the cool stuff. The WKH wont even do return to home and costs $1250! Room for competition for sure.. Big room. The Wookong is first class but ....... Now if Align will just lose that fake, cheap chrome finish.
Kattinkc is offline Find More Posts by Kattinkc
Old Jul 27, 2012, 09:56 PM
KittyKatt
Joined May 2012
50 Posts
Pitch curve??

In the video it mentions -+ 12 degrees.. I dont do 3D nor do I want more than -4 for auto purposes and fast stops. Can I use a -4 +9 pitch curve? Also my hover point mid sick. Sure wish align would realize not everyone wants to do crazy 3D. Some of us fly scale and work on smooth.
Old Jul 27, 2012, 09:57 PM
KittyKatt
Joined May 2012
50 Posts
Thank you

By the way... Thanks for the great videos.
Old Jul 27, 2012, 11:35 PM
Port Coquitlam, BC CANADA
Joined Jun 2009
2,084 Posts
Are you saying that you do not stay awake at nights agonizing over how to do tick-tocks, flips and barrel rolls? Are you saying you are content just to have your helicopter fly well in level flight and right side up? You want it to fly like (gasp)..."real" helicopter? Fortunately you are far from being alone. Still, Align makes a lot of money on parts sales due to folks trying to fly 3D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kattinkc View Post
Sure wish align would realize not everyone wants to do crazy 3D. Some of us fly scale and work on smooth.
Stumblebee is offline Find More Posts by Stumblebee
Old Jul 28, 2012, 09:46 AM
KittyKatt
Joined May 2012
50 Posts
Yes parts

I was around since the early days and we all got a little crazy but it got old quickly especially buying parts because stuff wasn't really made to be abused. The guys blew their paychecks weekly buying parts. The nice part of this insanity is the equipment now is really well engineered. I fly alone mostly in a small local park with my dog and a cooler. I do quite a bit of FPV and AP so it is best anyway. Too old and poor to fly full size anymore so FPV gives me the view. I am content to work on my fast stops, autos and with the help of the WK-H being very very smooth. The Wookong makes flying pucker free and issues with orientation are inconsequential. Flying that is actually FUN and relaxing. usually done from my lawn chair like I fly my multi rotor stuff.

Hoping I can get around the requirement for extreme pitch and flybarless head as the align APS uses the 3GX flybarless unit. Tried using that unit with flybar and it was strange and had big lag. Probably my setup. Ordered a flybarless head and better servos to give it a go again.