SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 10, 2012, 07:23 AM
Malaysia, Pulau Pinang, Tanjong Bungah
Joined Mar 2011
620 Posts
thats a lot of cash....

although crash few times we might loose more than that..

but .. still a lot of cash to invest..
sam1741 is offline Find More Posts by sam1741
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 11, 2012, 05:20 PM
1.21 Gigawatts!
Irvine, CA, USA
Joined Oct 2000
7,518 Posts
When you add GPS into the mix, I guess the price will be up in this range.

A comparable Helicommand system would be the "Profi GPS", which is $5400. DJI's WK-H is $1200. So the price is still competitive in this product segment.
Steph280 is offline Find More Posts by Steph280
Old Jun 12, 2012, 09:53 AM
Aviation Technician
Joined Feb 2012
315 Posts
Quote:
So the price is still competitive in this product segment
if it works anywheres as good as those systems, FMA has a hard deck coming out in a bit.....
GetToDaChopper is offline Find More Posts by GetToDaChopper
Old Jun 13, 2012, 04:55 AM
Just fly
Australia, VIC, Glen Waverley
Joined Jan 2011
2,103 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SvP View Post
Holy macaroni, 790 USD !!!!
Thats alot of dollares, hmmmm.

www.rcmania.hk
WOW! thats alot of $$$

Buy a sim and learn to fly.... much cheaper
evltoy is offline Find More Posts by evltoy
Old Jun 13, 2012, 10:41 AM
Orlando, Fl
Joined Jan 2008
1,492 Posts
I was reading about the FMA system. Sounds like they don't use a GPS for altitude. They must use air pressure because they said GPS was too slow.
jhroof is offline Find More Posts by jhroof
Old Jun 13, 2012, 12:04 PM
1.21 Gigawatts!
Irvine, CA, USA
Joined Oct 2000
7,518 Posts
It looks like the FMA Hard Deck uses barometric sensor for altitude recovery, so it doesn't have the GPS come home and waypoint capability.

The APS system also has magnetometer so in theory they could easily implement the "care free" function. This is where you can point the heli in any direction and it will do the proper cyclic mixing/reverse to keep the control as if it's tail in.
Old Jun 13, 2012, 01:59 PM
Joined Dec 2011
153 Posts
I think this and similar systems would be great for aerial photography and such but for me, the feeling of accomplishment of becoming a decent pilot is my real goal in this hobby, it has it's uses though..
kenbad is offline Find More Posts by kenbad
Old Jun 13, 2012, 08:42 PM
1.21 Gigawatts!
Irvine, CA, USA
Joined Oct 2000
7,518 Posts
Just got confirmation that APS system also uses barometric sensor for altitude control.

This is going to be an interesting year for helicopter autonomous systems.
Old Jun 14, 2012, 09:50 PM
Joined Oct 2000
197 Posts
APM2 gps is 200 bucks. I plan to put my money on the skookum gps. Competition is good for us consumers.
Kenneth is offline Find More Posts by Kenneth
Old Jun 18, 2012, 06:28 PM
Aviation Technician
Joined Feb 2012
315 Posts
DJI-Innovations GPS Module For NAZA Controller has RTH (Return to Home) and IOC (Intelligent Orientation Control) and Low Battery Warning for only $169.00

FMA Hard Deck is just that, a hard deck and nothing more but you have to use their co-pilot II system to use their hard deck addon so that gives it the self-leveling full time or at a push of a button but just think of what a "hard deck" really means ! basicly as long as you don't run it into a obstacle such as a tree or building it is a "uncrashable" heli that flys completly normal (no self leveling unless you turn that on) above 50 ft or if your below 50 ft then it self-levels intill your on the ground (that is if you don't turn it off, which you can do if you want) how cool would that be !!! oh and it won't cost anything near $800.00 !!! but again you have to use their co-pilot II system to use their hard deck addon BUT their hole system would cost less than Align APS gps addon by it's self, that $800.00 does not include the align 3gx FBL controller which you must have to use their gps addon.......

but those two system are not really the same thing at all, both will give you self-leveling but that's where the similarities end.......

no word on the skookum gps addon cost or even a hint of when or if it might ever be out i'm sorry to say.....

EDIT i just remembered that the co-pilot II system works with a fly-bar OR you need to also buy a FBL controller as well, man that's a LOT of little boxs all over your heli !!! they really need to get the little black box count down to one or two IMO.......
Last edited by GetToDaChopper; Jun 18, 2012 at 06:57 PM.
Old Jun 18, 2012, 09:53 PM
Port Coquitlam, BC CANADA
Joined Jun 2009
2,084 Posts
Just found this link on the ALIGN system. Way too much money for my tastes.

http://www.rcmania.hk/2012/06/22419
Stumblebee is offline Find More Posts by Stumblebee
Old Jun 19, 2012, 11:51 AM
1.21 Gigawatts!
Irvine, CA, USA
Joined Oct 2000
7,518 Posts
ok I learned some more about the Align APS system.

There are three modes: regular 3GX mode, APS mode, and GPS mode.

3GX mode basically bypass the APS system, so you fly as if no APS system was installed.

in APS mode, you have the following abilities:
1. semi-autonomous takeoff/landing. Basically move the throttle stick up to takeoff, down to land. you don't need to touch the cyclic and rudder stick. It takes care of them for you.
2. stabilized flight: the heli will maintain level at all time. You push the cyclic stick forward/backward/left/right, the heli will still move in that direction, but leveled. So even if you push the stick all the way to the end, it will not flip and go inverted. This is great for hover practice and aerial photography work.
3. Emergency bailout: If you are practicing aerobatics in 3GX mode and lose orientation, switch into APS mode and it will flip right side up and stabilize.

GPS mode basically does autonomous flight.
1. Return Home: You lose sight or radio lost link. It will fly back to home automatically. This is also the failsafe feature.
2. Waypoints: You can fly to a preset waypoint (can be set while flying), or have the heli fly between two waypoints back and forth automatically.

These are the basic functions AFAIK. There could be more I don't know about.
Old Jun 19, 2012, 11:53 AM
1.21 Gigawatts!
Irvine, CA, USA
Joined Oct 2000
7,518 Posts
DJI Naza is intended for a completely different market and aircraft (multirotors). A comparable DJI product would be the WooKong-H. Go look up how much they want for one of those.
Old Jun 19, 2012, 01:11 PM
Aviation Technician
Joined Feb 2012
315 Posts
i was only talking about the gps addon which i think are the same across platforms as they all look the same but point taken.....

really they could easily adapt the DJI Naza to work as a low cost system for helis if they really wanted to, and probably will some time in the future.....
Last edited by GetToDaChopper; Jun 19, 2012 at 01:20 PM.
Old Jun 19, 2012, 02:40 PM
1.21 Gigawatts!
Irvine, CA, USA
Joined Oct 2000
7,518 Posts
GPS module are not the same, which was insisted by the distributors. The original Wookong had issue where GPS wouldn't work in southern hemisphere. Supposedly that has been fixed in the Naza GPS module.

They came out with the GPS option for Naza because they were getting killed by the Bumblebee clones and $80 Rabbit boards. Otherwise why would they put out something that eats into their higher margin Wookong-M? Competition drives the market and us consumers will benefit at the end.