HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 22, 2012, 03:25 PM
Joined Oct 2006
2,047 Posts
Discussion
Boy, AMA Insurance Requirements At Sagamore Sure Did Kill Our "Club", Didn't It?

Hi guys. Been maybe more than a year since I've logged on Rcgroups to touch base with things. Been too busy with metal detecting to really fly any planes for the last year or so. Just wanted to say that judging by the lack of any new threads in about the last two years here is sure does appear that the AMA requirement at Sagamore killed our unofficial club, didn't it?

Some of us warned you guys that AMA insurance was a bit excessive for electric park flyers and yet some of you promoted how much of a good thing it would be. Well, judging by the amount of activity here all I can say is that some of us told you so. Never approach city or government workers with propositions because that will only cause further requirements and restrictions that will kill things. Seen this in metal detecting too. We've tried to warn people that unless a park requires a special permit NEVER approach and ask the city government about permission to metal detect there. All that does is give them a chance to say "no" or require you to carry a permit or something if your lucky. So long as there are no laws specifically outlawing metal detecting I tell people to NEVER ask for any kind of approval from the local authorities.

Sad to see this once strong club die on the vine. I remember days at Sagamore when there must have been 30+ people there waiting to fly their planes. I hope things change and we can all get together again somewhere to fly without government restrictions. Good to talk to you guys again and take care everybody.
critterhunter is offline Find More Posts by critterhunter
to remove ads between posts
Old May 22, 2012, 04:13 PM
Suspended Account
Mentor, OH
Joined Dec 2004
8,426 Posts
yeah, it kinda killed it at Sagamore. mostly everyone joined an "official club" so we do stay in-touch with one another.
sgtdirt is offline Find More Posts by sgtdirt
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old May 22, 2012, 10:20 PM
United States, OH, Westlake
Joined Mar 2002
4,512 Posts
I took a look at the local club after re-kitting a parkzone Corsair and never looked back. Although I do miss the good people out at Sagamore.

So what have you found metal-detecting? Pics posted somewhere?
kdahlhaus is online now Find More Posts by kdahlhaus
Old May 22, 2012, 10:45 PM
Wonderfully Wicked
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
13,022 Posts
I quite enjoy flying out at Warner, lots of nice guys to fly with and this weekend I got to fly Saturday and Sunday and no worries about soccer moms and kids showing up. Electric RC is alive and well, just the location has changed.
The Don is online now Find More Posts by The Don
RCG Plus Member
Old May 22, 2012, 11:09 PM
Suspended Account
Mentor, OH
Joined Dec 2004
8,426 Posts
i agree with Don. the fact that there isn't anyone on the field or having to wait until some type practice session is finished, is a nice thing.

when i got to Warner, i counted only a handful of guys flying. maybe it's because i got there kinda late. there where a lot of spectators.
sgtdirt is offline Find More Posts by sgtdirt
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old May 23, 2012, 06:14 AM
United States, OH, Westlake
Joined Mar 2002
4,512 Posts
Many of the retired guys fly during the week in the morning and at lunch. You'd be surprised at the size of the lunch-time crowd on a good weekday. I think they get their flying in then and then tend to socialize more on the weekends.
kdahlhaus is online now Find More Posts by kdahlhaus
Old May 24, 2012, 07:46 AM
Team 3DHS
USA, OH, Macedonia
Joined Jul 2009
3,234 Posts
I don't miss Sagamore at all. And I live literally 3 minutes from the park. Lack of a real flight line, the baseball field, lack of a runway all made it place I have no desire to fly at.

I joined the Aurora club and LOVE it there. If anyone hasn't visited it, you're missing out. It's the sleeper club in the area. It's NEVER crowded.

About Sagamore, I don't think anyone has taken over the duties to have the "agreement" renewed. So Id' say head out and fly at your own risk and be ready to battle with the early baseball practices.
djmoose is offline Find More Posts by djmoose