HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 22, 2012, 02:42 PM
CLEVELAND,OHIO
Joined Feb 2003
472 Posts
Discussion
Just learned about this FPV,Tell me what the best way to get started?

I seen vids,but mostly of just on board video recording and during my youtube searching I seen this guy fly this plane like 5miles away,It was awesome,I could not stop smiling! And when I get that way I know it's only a matter of time before I have to try it.
I watched a few vids on youtube and all the IBcrazy how to vids and see there is a good bit you need to know when doing this. I was wondering if there is a middle ground,like I don't think im ready to take a plane miles away just yet,but more like just want to get the FPV feel while in my normal flying field and can still see the plane if I take off the goggles?
I seen the goggle from the hobbyking and also these all in one from the sponsors above,is this what you would use for just flying local and not going more then a mile radius?
I was thinking about maybe trying this over the lake while im in my boat as there would be less object to hit,Does the water interfere with any of these frequencies?
Like I said im just learning about this today and im sure there are many more products from many more people then what I just have found,so let me know if there is like a good package deal to just get into this or where to get what I need to get some good quality stuff cheap. Thanks!
ProfitOfDoom is offline Find More Posts by ProfitOfDoom
to remove ads between posts
Old May 22, 2012, 02:51 PM
Project Tormentor is flying!
United States, WA, White Salmon
Joined Nov 2005
2,020 Posts
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1355327
philthyy is offline Find More Posts by philthyy
Old May 22, 2012, 02:57 PM
Quad lover.
Joined Dec 2011
853 Posts
Large field with farmers permission is your best bet. Water can cause multi-pathing issues iirc.
You can get these kits which are quite decent for noobs.
http://fpvhobby.com/96-8ghz-micro-combo-set.html
chaosdestro0 is offline Find More Posts by chaosdestro0
Old May 22, 2012, 03:15 PM
Joined Jun 2006
149 Posts
im a noob like you, and i recommend a 4wd car/truck first(ground fpv), and then slap all your fpv gear on it. bottom line, with fpv youre going to have a blast regardless & plenty of heartaches, and with ground fpv, you can actually concentrate more on your fpv setup, than flying & crashing. i have a blade 450 ,but took advice of other member, to put fpv on ground 1st, to work out kinks.
im havn a blast fpv'n my summit truck.

have fun!!!
delcut03 is offline Find More Posts by delcut03
Old May 23, 2012, 03:03 PM
United Kingdom, England, Gt Lon
Joined Nov 2007
2,646 Posts
Package deals have never done it for me. I think that applies to almost any type of package deal even including non FPV stuff as they are always compensated by good items and pretty bad items. Just keep scouring these forums and eventually you will undersand FPV to the point where you know your ready. If you think you are but arent your soon find out when you either try to setup an FPV system or fly FPV for the first time.
malcr001 is offline Find More Posts by malcr001
Old May 23, 2012, 04:03 PM
fly by night
Joined Sep 2011
5,415 Posts
I advise against buying a ground vehicle for FPV training. I just don't get the appeal of the rc cars and trucks at all. I would advise you get a light foamie trainer airplane and learn LOS first, like an Easy Star. Then put on FPV equipment after researching it on the sticky threads.

But if you are not into tinkering I would also consider buying the Spyhawk you see advertised above. It is a very small easy to fly plane with built in stabilization gyros. Can learn to fly LOS with it, and after a few flights you can just start looking down at the LCD screen - voila, you are doing FPV. No complex building of FPV systems, no 4 figure investment. It is not all that well known, but FLite Test and RCModel reviews have good info on it from their tests. Its main shortcoming is that it is limited in range and not all that upgradeable, though I think you can just plug in goggles and maybe upgrade the antennas to make it a better system. It is under $400 - I think I invested about $800 to start flying FPV with a micro sized plane that is less impressive than the Spyhawk. Might be a place to start if you don't mind buying a whole other advanced FPV system later on.

I fly over water - it is fine, just don't fly low+far (same goes for over land). Can fly low+close, or far+higher. And water will kill some electronics if you dunk it, but if it is a foamie at least it will float. If you get a floatplane, it can be waterproofed (I did this with a catalina) though I have not figured out how to properly waterproof the FPV electronics yet.
BCSaltchucker is online now Find More Posts by BCSaltchucker
Last edited by BCSaltchucker; May 23, 2012 at 04:10 PM.
Old May 26, 2012, 12:50 AM
flying ninja!
Joined Jun 2011
884 Posts
Profitofdoom, i think you should try this one. Watch my FPV videos on youtube and check out the comparison. It is the most ideal plane to start with for beginners and lots of fun. I have FPV on my Sky Surfer, AXN Cloud Fly,Quad-X and Trucks but nothing beat this one. Its my FPV EPP profile (Hobby King Tristania EP 3D Plane). Low cost, low public damage, very safe and still can fly as far as you want or as low as you want and if you crashed you only have small dents. Check this out. Spec details as shown inside the videos. More in this thread: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1644564
Its still can carry heaps of true FPV equipment despite the size and its ridiculous weight. Trust me this one is fun to fly, its my everday plane too.

My video:
1# Chasing Traxxas Summit, E-Revo and Shor Courses
FPV Mad Chase - HK Tristania EPP (4 min 36 sec)

2# My demo flight
FPV Park Fly - HK Tristania EPP (8 min 16 sec)

3# FPV Adventure
FPV Foamy Adventure - HK Tristania EPP (2 min 4 sec)
ican3d is offline Find More Posts by ican3d