SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 22, 2012, 02:26 PM
United Kingdom, Doncaster
Joined Apr 2012
3 Posts
Discussion
Yet another noob

Not sure if you do intros or not but here goes.

Had a Blade MCX2 for about 4 months and flown it very regularly since I got it. Its been modded with the bar tail and the MSR swash and I've bound it to a DX6i. I can fly it pretty smoothly now and have learned to avoid the death wobble when I felt a FFF left turn was required.

Feeling the need for a little bit more space to use both sticks more in the turns, I ventured outside, in what I thought was zero wind conditions. Fortunately my neighbours are very nice. Plan B required though.

Using this site and the e-books on rchelicopterfun, I thought I'd have a go at Collective Pitch Crashing lark and I'm now waiting patiently, those who know me would say I can't wait for anything patiently, for my HK450 and bits to arrive from Hong Kong.

I've sussed the manual, got the tools already, got an idea of the mechanics and the pitfalls of some of the build and the chosen components, like the gyro that I'll mod before installing.

Looking forward to just building it and setting it up. If and when it flies, that'll be a bonus and I'll stick with sport flying for a good while.

Thanks to your previous input, my research has been straightforward.
UKMalcolm is offline Find More Posts by UKMalcolm
to remove ads between posts
Old May 22, 2012, 02:31 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,442 Posts
You really need some other experience before tackling a 450. A micro coax teaches you very little.
Balr14 is online now Find More Posts by Balr14
Old May 22, 2012, 02:44 PM
United Kingdom, Doncaster
Joined Apr 2012
3 Posts
Wow, that was quick. Thanks for responding. I know what you are trying to say, but I was tempted to start with a 450CP and was wisely advised to get my orientation sorted with something smaller first.

The opinion was and is that with the settings tamed down, a 450 is less twitchy and in some respects easier to learn CP than on, say an MCPX V2, which is the path I nearly trod. At least I can see the 450 sized components.

I know it will need patience and rigour in the set up, pre-flight, post flight and maintenance, but I've got my flight lessons laid out to aquire the basics in stages and I'm in no rush.

Its all learning and I aim to have fun doing it.
UKMalcolm is offline Find More Posts by UKMalcolm
Old May 22, 2012, 03:34 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,442 Posts
As you wish. Best of luck to you!
Balr14 is online now Find More Posts by Balr14
Old May 22, 2012, 04:35 PM
Fly Runaway Fans
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jan 2009
9,379 Posts
I think you're right about one thing, MCPX is hard to see at any distance at all, and the squinty little parts a challenge to handle. Nice yardflyer though, and the triax gyro buffers it from being toppled by breeze.

I think of 450s as needing "a site" to fly. As in, "not a garden". As much research as you've done I'm sure you take that into account. Bon chance.
arbilab is offline Find More Posts by arbilab