HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old May 22, 2012, 09:00 AM
Registered User
United States, AL, Huntsville
Joined May 2011
301 Posts
Discussion
Best FPV TX and RX for 2012?

I am new to FPV and have been researching my options to get started. I plan on using my Futaba FASST 2.4ghz transmitter and I am located in the United States.

Which would everyone recommend I go with a 1.2GHZ or the 5.8GHz system?
I am ultimately looking for a good base to start with to ultimately achieve long range FPV. I will start out with a CCD camera, but fully intend on setting up with a GoProHD camera in the end.

Ive been looking at these two options->
5.8 GHz system- http://www.aliexpress.com/store/8013...otography.html

1.2 GHz- http://www.aliexpress.com/fm-store/9...nsmission.html

If anyone has any recommendations for a better system I should go with? Looking for the most bang for the buck.
Thanks for your input!
funkmanusa is offline Find More Posts by funkmanusa
Last edited by funkmanusa; May 22, 2012 at 09:12 AM.
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old May 22, 2012, 09:37 AM
Team White Llama!
gundamnitpete's Avatar
Joined Jan 2008
8,144 Posts
first off, shop at readymaderc.com

second, we cannot make the decision between those frequencies for you.

third, for 1.28ghz stick to 300MW or less.

fourth, don't buy the 500mw 5.8ghz unit. buy the 200mw or the 400mw. the 500mw will burn up.

fifth, please read the "ten things i wish i knew when i started FPV" thread at the top of this forum.
gundamnitpete is offline Find More Posts by gundamnitpete
Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2012, 11:42 AM
Registered User
Joined Jan 2011
81 Posts
IMO, go with 1.2 GHz. Even though it has bigger antennas, range and penetration is better
pia32 is offline Find More Posts by pia32
Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2012, 01:41 PM
Plane Destroyer / Life Enjoyer
airbagit13's Avatar
Miami, FL
Joined May 2009
3,508 Posts
Where do you live? Country or city? If you live in the city then forget 5.8.

Agree with above. Buy your TX and RX from readymadeRC. They are top quality.
airbagit13 is offline Find More Posts by airbagit13
Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2012, 01:52 PM
Registered User
United States, AL, Huntsville
Joined May 2011
301 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gundamnitpete View Post
first off, shop at readymaderc.com

second, we cannot make the decision between those frequencies for you.

third, for 1.28ghz stick to 300MW or less.

fourth, don't buy the 500mw 5.8ghz unit. buy the 200mw or the 400mw. the 500mw will burn up.

fifth, please read the "ten things i wish i knew when i started FPV" thread at the top of this forum.
Thanks for the link to "ten things i wish i knew when i started FPV" it was/is super useful.

Why should I buy from readymaderc ? seems like bloated pricing for the same stuff I can buy for a lot less from among the thousands of the other fpv equipment sources.

I have read about heat issues on the 500mw and above transmitters, but the 5.8 ghz one includes a fan and seems like fairly low power usage.


Quote:
Originally Posted by pia32 View Post
IMO, go with 1.2 GHz. Even though it has bigger antennas, range and penetration is better
I think Im leaning towards 1.2ghz for the penetration factor. I had read 1.2 handles trees and other objects better than 5.8Ghz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by airbagit13 View Post
Where do you live? Country or city? If you live in the city then forget 5.8.

Agree with above. Buy your TX and RX from readymadeRC. They are top quality.
I am in Huntsville, Alabama, USA. I have been checking to ensure the one I go for is legal in my area.

The ultimate goal for me here is to utilize the wealth of knowledge in this forum with experienced FPV'ers to essentially ask, given I'm in the US and using a 2.4GHz Transmitter. If you were starting out in FPV today with this scenario, which video Tx/Rx would you buy?

Initially I was very much thinking 5.8Ghz, but with the penetration factor, 1.2 Ghz seems like a better option while still allowing the range.

If I were going with 1.2Ghz, does it matter to get a 1000-1500MW system, if not which should I buy? I am hoping to ultimately achieve around 4km range..even perhaps after some antenna upgrades.

Thanks again for the feedback!
funkmanusa is offline Find More Posts by funkmanusa
Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2012, 02:01 PM
Team White Llama!
gundamnitpete's Avatar
Joined Jan 2008
8,144 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by airbagit13 View Post
Where do you live? Country or city? If you live in the city then forget 5.8.

Agree with above. Buy your TX and RX from readymadeRC. They are top quality.
I flew in down chicago with out issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkmanusa View Post
Thanks for the link to "ten things i wish i knew when i started FPV" it was/is super useful.

Why should I buy from readymaderc ? seems like bloated pricing for the same stuff I can buy for a lot less from among the thousands of the other fpv equipment sources.

No problem. You buy from readymade, cause when you fry your vtx, which you will eventually do, he will help you. He prices are not bloated, they are the going rate for the qaulity TX's and RX's. Don't think for a second that just because the case looks the same, the insides are the same. That is a huge newbie mistake.
Quote:

I have read about heat issues on the 500mw and above transmitters, but the 5.8 ghz one includes a fan and seems like fairly low power usage.

what is the point of me giving you advice if you refuse to listen? don't buy the 500mw unit unless you want to loose video midflight and crash.



Quote:

I think Im leaning towards 1.2ghz for the penetration factor. I had read 1.2 handles trees and other objects better than 5.8Ghz.
It does.


Quote:

I am in Huntsville, Alabama, USA. I have been checking to ensure the one I go for is legal in my area.
910mhz, 1258mhz, 1280ghz, 2.4ghz, and 5.8ghz are all legal in the usa with a TECH license.
Quote:

The ultimate goal for me here is to utilize the wealth of knowledge in this forum with experienced FPV'ers to essentially ask, given I'm in the US and using a 2.4GHz Transmitter. If you were starting out in FPV today with this scenario, which video Tx/Rx would you buy?
I'd buy 5.8ghz, make a few CP's, and spend a year learning how to fly.

Quote:
Initially I was very much thinking 5.8Ghz, but with the penetration factor, 1.2 Ghz seems like a better option while still allowing the range.
1.2 will get you better range, as the expense of ease of use. you will need a low pass filter to keep it from interfering with your RC receiver, clean power, etc.etc.etc.

the 5.8 stuff is just plug and play and in my experience, works everywhere. IMHO it's the best starter frequency.

Quote:
If I were going with 1.2Ghz, does it matter to get a 1000-1500MW system, if not which should I buy? I am hoping to ultimately achieve around 4km range..even perhaps after some antenna upgrades.

Thanks again for the feedback!
Yes, it matters.

DO NOT BUY A 1W TX.
gundamnitpete is offline Find More Posts by gundamnitpete
Last edited by gundamnitpete; May 22, 2012 at 02:11 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2012, 02:18 PM
Registered User
Joined Jun 2011
68 Posts
5.8 tx

There is no real reason to go above 500mW, even for 5.8Ghz.
if you want a bigger range, the answer is in the rx antenna,
if i were you, 5.8Ghz 200mw will get you to your target, or the new 400mW (i haven't tried it but plan to).
stay away from the 500mW, it's an overclocked system and it has problems.
5.8 will require a CP antenna (Rx & Tx).
good luck!
Assaf110 is offline Find More Posts by Assaf110
Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2012, 02:20 PM
Team White Llama!
gundamnitpete's Avatar
Joined Jan 2008
8,144 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Assaf110 View Post
There is no real reason to go above 500mW, even for 5.8Ghz.
if you want a bigger range, the answer is in the rx antenna,
if i were you, 5.8Ghz 200mw will get you to your target, or the new 400mW (i haven't tried it but plan to).
stay away from the 500mW, it's an overclocked system and it has problems.
5.8 will require a CP antenna (Rx & Tx).
good luck!
The 600MW airwave stuff is good though. That one will be fine
gundamnitpete is offline Find More Posts by gundamnitpete
Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2012, 02:23 PM
Registered User
United States, AL, Huntsville
Joined May 2011
301 Posts
Thanks for this great info. Learning to fly isn't an issue, been flying RC aircraft for about 18 years and fly 3d as well, just haven't delved into FPV yet.

I bought a bixler for a first platform to start out with. So you are leaning more to a 5.8GHz system, would you recommend a 500mw 5.8Ghz, or lower. If possible, could you give me a example of a combo you think would be a good platform to build from?

Thanks again!
funkmanusa is offline Find More Posts by funkmanusa
Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2012, 02:44 PM
Team White Llama!
gundamnitpete's Avatar
Joined Jan 2008
8,144 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by funkmanusa View Post
Thanks for this great info. Learning to fly isn't an issue, been flying RC aircraft for about 18 years and fly 3d as well, just haven't delved into FPV yet.
You think i haven't been flying regular RC either?

HET Super Sniper with ARC 28-47-1 (2 min 20 sec)


Quote:
I bought a bixler for a first platform to start out with. So you are leaning more to a 5.8GHz system, would you recommend a 500mw 5.8Ghz, or lower. If possible, could you give me a example of a combo you think would be a good platform to build from?

Thanks again!
that was an excellent choice!

If i wanted to save money, would buy this: http://www.foxtechfpv.com/foxtech-58...-mi-p-178.html

and this camera:

http://www.securitycamera2000.com/pr...-Menu-DNR.html

And then make a set of cloverleaf antennas, like these:

Clover Leaf CL Antenna Build for 5.8Ghz FPV Model Aircraft Video transmitter R/C IBCrazy DIY (6 min 35 sec)
gundamnitpete is offline Find More Posts by gundamnitpete
Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2012, 02:49 PM
Registered User
United Kingdom, Moray
Joined Aug 2011
48 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by funkmanusa View Post
I am new to FPV and have been researching my options to get started. I plan on using my Futaba FASST 2.4ghz transmitter and I am located in the United States.

Which would everyone recommend I go with a 1.2GHZ or the 5.8GHz system?
I am ultimately looking for a good base to start with to ultimately achieve long range FPV. I will start out with a CCD camera, but fully intend on setting up with a GoProHD camera in the end.

Ive been looking at these two options->
5.8 GHz system- http://www.aliexpress.com/store/8013...otography.html

1.2 GHz- http://www.aliexpress.com/fm-store/9...nsmission.html

If anyone has any recommendations for a better system I should go with? Looking for the most bang for the buck.
Thanks for your input!
If I were going to fly with 2.4 GHz rc -not that I would- I'd go for 5.8 GHz video. I don't think penetration/range of your video link is important until you have an rc link which is reliable at the range that your video link is capable of.
Grox is offline Find More Posts by Grox
Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2012, 02:54 PM
Registered User
United States, AL, Huntsville
Joined May 2011
301 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gundamnitpete View Post
If i wanted to save money, would buy this: http://www.foxtechfpv.com/foxtech-58...-mi-p-178.html

and this camera:

http://www.securitycamera2000.com/pr...-Menu-DNR.html

And then make a set of cloverleaf antennas, like these:
This is excellent and exactly what I'm looking for, a recommended setup to point into a solid base for reasonable money to get started thanks!

So I see with the 200mw transmitter, with stock antenna, I can do 1-2km, with the cloverleaf, how much do you feel I could boost the signal? 3-4km possible?
funkmanusa is offline Find More Posts by funkmanusa
Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2012, 02:57 PM
Registered User
United States, AL, Huntsville
Joined May 2011
301 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grox View Post
If I were going to fly with 2.4 GHz rc -not that I would- I'd go for 5.8 GHz video. I don't think penetration/range of your video link is important until you have an rc link which is reliable at the range that your video link is capable of.
That is an extremely good point I hadn't thought of. =)
Thanks!
funkmanusa is offline Find More Posts by funkmanusa
Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2012, 03:02 PM
Team White Llama!
gundamnitpete's Avatar
Joined Jan 2008
8,144 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by funkmanusa View Post
This is excellent and exactly what I'm looking for, a recommended setup to point into a solid base for reasonable money to get started thanks!

So I see with the 200mw transmitter, with stock antenna, I can do 1-2km, with the cloverleaf, how much do you feel I could boost the signal? 3-4km possible?
many people claim 3-4Km but the coniditons vary so much, it is hard to tell.

with stock antennas, i'd say <1Km, and you'll have a iffy video signal at that. With a pair of CP's, the video feed will be much better.

keep in mind, your 2.4ghz radio is only good for about 1 KM anyway.
gundamnitpete is offline Find More Posts by gundamnitpete
Last edited by gundamnitpete; May 22, 2012 at 03:08 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2012, 03:16 PM
Registered User
United States, AL, Huntsville
Joined May 2011
301 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gundamnitpete View Post
many people claim 3-4Km but the coniditons vary so much, it is hard to tell.

with stock antennas, i'd say <1Km, and you'll have a iffy video signal at that. With a pair of CP's, the video feed will be much better.

keep in mind, your 2.4ghz radio is only good for about 1 KM anyway.
Thanks, btw what are CP's?
If range on my radio ever does become an issue, I can always break out the old 72mhz futaba radio, hasnt seen the light of day in a while..lol. Probably need to get it serviced first to be safe. What would be the highest MW you would go on 5.8ghz, considering I took extra effort in modding for better airflow for cooling, etc..?
funkmanusa is offline Find More Posts by funkmanusa
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mini-HowTo What Tx/Rx is best for Newbies ceejayslyfly Beginner Training Area (Aircraft-Electric) 0 Feb 16, 2012 01:22 PM
Discussion The Best Tx/Rx System for $50-$100? DanielWhitworth Foamies (Kits) 12 Jan 27, 2012 12:21 AM
Help! Best battery for 12V rated 800mw rx and tx? J_R_X Batteries and Chargers 1 Oct 04, 2011 02:43 AM
Discussion What is best TX/Rx solution to fly fpv 2 same time? techslave FPV Talk 6 Aug 16, 2011 07:55 PM
Discussion Best rx & tx for FPV? metalfred FPV Talk 16 May 08, 2010 01:14 AM