SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 18, 2012, 06:47 PM
3D Heli and Planes
United States, TX, Round Rock
Joined Nov 2009
284 Posts
Right now I have my HFG right behind my NX5, and have not had the issue with the horizon being off. I am using the Askman V1 gimbal, but fixing to upgrade to the V2 gimbal.

What gains are most of you running?
jbdww is offline Find More Posts by jbdww
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 19, 2012, 07:11 AM
Joined Apr 2004
34 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by malfario View Post
Hi guys, I want to share this video with you. It is the final test of HFG 1.6. Everything works fine, but when starting the gimbal the Pan trim must be used in order to stop undesired rotation. The gimbal is a cinestar with savox servos.
We had as well problems with horizontal offsets, but I fix it calibrating again the Giros in a less temperature amplitude. Here is the video:

http://youtu.be/qBPgw0f94x8
Dear mister Malfario!
I bought Hoverfly Gimbal Stab for my Cinestr gimbal.
I read this forum, and I was scared! I did not expect so many problems with this gimbal controller. Your video was great! Your message has been to me as a cure for fear! We have very similar hardware configuration. I hope that I will be able to repeat your success with the settings of the stabilizer. I ask you to take a photo of attachment your HFGStab board on a gimbal. Perhaps you would be so kind as to inform your HFGStab firmware version and settings...
painter12 is offline Find More Posts by painter12
Old Nov 02, 2012, 01:50 PM
Joined Oct 2012
9 Posts
Hi there,

is there any news for the horizon problem? I am actually not ready to use the HF yet, so i cant tell you about my experience. But i read everything about this GimbalControl in the Forums.
People were talking about shielding the board.For me this sounds as the only possibilty to fix this problem for right now. Does anybody know if this works, or what material should be used to build a shielding box or something like this?
Cobda is offline Find More Posts by Cobda
Old Nov 02, 2012, 02:10 PM
South Orange County, CA
Joined Mar 2003
8,162 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobda View Post
Hi there,

is there any news for the horizon problem? I am actually not ready to use the HF yet, so i cant tell you about my experience. But i read everything about this GimbalControl in the Forums.
People were talking about shielding the board.For me this sounds as the only possibilty to fix this problem for right now. Does anybody know if this works, or what material should be used to build a shielding box or something like this?
I heard that there is a new version of the firmware (v1.7r2...) that addresses this issue, but I haven't had time to check this yet. There's no info about it on their site at all yet.

-- Gary
GGoodrum is offline Find More Posts by GGoodrum
Old Nov 02, 2012, 02:23 PM
Joined Oct 2012
9 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GGoodrum View Post
I heard that there is a new version of the firmware (v1.7r2...) that addresses this issue, but I haven't had time to check this yet. There's no info about it on their site at all yet.

-- Gary
Hi Gary,

that sounds good. Hopefully all of us getting this thing to work properly.
I am just wondering what kind of stabilization the "professionals" are using.
I am pretty new in this business. I know the skyline from PH is not working neither. There is a system called Radian. Much more expensive. Is this for professional use?

By the way. I am pretty impressed by the video posted in post #572. I would be pleased with that performance . Would appreciate some more infos on settings and mounting of the board there.

Still i am confident to get this board to work properly in the next weeks.
Cobda is offline Find More Posts by Cobda
Old Nov 02, 2012, 11:59 PM
Private Pilot
United States, CA, San Luis Obispo
Joined Jul 2009
1,273 Posts
anyone get a chance to test the new firmware?
Twister773 is online now Find More Posts by Twister773
Old Nov 03, 2012, 09:55 AM
JorgeSevilla
Spain, AL, Sevilla
Joined May 2010
29 Posts
malfario is offline Find More Posts by malfario
Old Nov 04, 2012, 01:26 AM
Cape Coral, FL
Joined Nov 2001
1,910 Posts
Firmware 1.7 rev 2

I am just now setting up my HF gimbal controller for the first time. I'll be brave and try the latest firmware.

I never went through the calibration and setup, so I have no idea how long before I get an actual flight test.

Derek
DerekB is offline Find More Posts by DerekB
Old Nov 04, 2012, 01:48 AM
Cape Coral, FL
Joined Nov 2001
1,910 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twister773 View Post
anyone get a chance to test the new firmware?
Twister,

I watched your wakeboard video. As everybody else said, very nice flying!!

I plan to do a lot of flying over water and takeoff from a boat, but have not tried it yet. I'm totally afraid to do it. I have good flying skills and so far, no problems landing exactly on a small spot on dry land. I'm looking for some pep talk to get me fired up to just Do It.

Do you have any flotation on your rig? I just cringe at facing a total loss from a problem. I'm also using a GH2 camera.

I'm into wakeboarding too, but not very good yet. Here's a link to a wakeboard video I made recently - not with my copter - so it's kinda off topic so I just made the link instead of embed the video.

Derek
DerekB is offline Find More Posts by DerekB
Old Nov 05, 2012, 03:44 PM
Aerial Abstract Art
San Francisco, CA
Joined Nov 2005
2,541 Posts
A few more videos taken with the HF gimbal controller and a Askman AG600 gimbal. On the birds video, it's tilted because I installed the new AG600 yoke and didn't level it correctly, not the HF controllers fault. Now, has anyone tried out the new firmware yet? I'm still on 1.03.

DJI F550 and Askman AG550 Gimbal at the Lodi Flying Giants Huckfest 2012 (5 min 15 sec)

Seabirds of Foster City, CA viewed from above (3 min 37 sec)

Hydro Seeding at Candle Stick State Park (1 min 29 sec)
Daloaf is offline Find More Posts by Daloaf
Old Nov 06, 2012, 12:44 AM
Private Pilot
United States, CA, San Luis Obispo
Joined Jul 2009
1,273 Posts
Gimbal still will roll while yawing the copter on new newest 1.7r2 firmware. What I noticed is when on the floor at my house I can power the gimbal and everything on, turn the heli or gimbal(360 gimbal) and it will cause the horizon to go unlevel. Set it back down after doing this and sometimes it will slowly creep back to level but its a pain in the ass and not correct. At this point I am forced to order the radian system. An out of level horizon is not acceptable.
Twister773 is online now Find More Posts by Twister773
Last edited by Twister773; Nov 06, 2012 at 09:04 PM.
Old Nov 06, 2012, 10:50 PM
USA, FL, Winter Springs
Joined Apr 2006
3,066 Posts
This is really interesting to hear. I've spent many many days flying the HoverflyGIMBAL controller with AV200 and Cinestar gimbals. I have been unable to make the horizon go off level with yaw.

There were only 3 things I noticed which were 100% related to setup might cause this.

If I didn't have the roll scale factor and center point set for proper compensation, the horizon would move with yaw.

If I didn't have the HoverflyGimbal board aligned with the axis of rotation (mounted crooked) this would happen as well.

If I didn't have the correct mounting position selected in the configuration. The horizon in the configurator should show level when your camera mount is level.

Also, I did find a loose pots on my roll axis once which caused the roll to act weirdly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twister773 View Post
Gimbal still will roll while yawing the copter on new newest 1.7r2 firmware. What I noticed is when on the floor at my house I can power the gimbal and everything on, turn the heli or gimbal(360 gimbal) and it will cause the horizon to go unlevel. Set it back down after doing this and sometimes it will slowly creep back to level but its a pain in the ass and not correct. At this point I am forced to order the radian system. An out of level horizon is not acceptable.
S11D336B is offline Find More Posts by S11D336B
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 07, 2012, 11:15 AM
Joined Oct 2012
2 Posts
I put a bubble level app in my IPhone and set it on the camera platform of my Photoship 3X to get an easy way to initialize the HFG level. The board is mounted on the bottom of the platform. When I set the IPhone down on the platform, both the tilt and roll axis go wonky.
RF?
Magnetic?
pmacafee is offline Find More Posts by pmacafee
Old Nov 07, 2012, 05:46 PM
3D Heli and Planes
United States, TX, Round Rock
Joined Nov 2009
284 Posts
I have an issue, and some questions.

1. When I go to the Setup Servo page, sometime the numbers are completely random, so I have to exit the software on go back in. There almost needs to be a read button to read the data from the controller again.

2. When I turn on my rig, the gimbal will learn the current postion of my tilt lever, so if I have the tilt lever full down, then it learns that as center, and I can not get my full range. Right now I try to remember to put the lever back to center before powering up.

3. What does the PID Gain page do? Can I make changes, and learn something from the graph?

4. If I set my Acceleration Rate Gain to 0 vs 1000, I do not see any real difference in performance. I would of thought that 0 would cause the servos to not move.
jbdww is offline Find More Posts by jbdww
Old Nov 08, 2012, 03:49 PM
Joined Oct 2011
483 Posts
Urgent question

I am trying to get my HF going and plugging the battery in does not light up the board. My voltage coming out of the bec is 5.95 v. Is this the problem and does it have to be 6 and can it be over 6? Can anyone reply to this as fast as possible? Trying to beat the weather in WI and daylight.

Jerry
jerrymeister is offline Find More Posts by jerrymeister