HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Oct 16, 2012, 12:55 AM
Private Pilot
Twister773's Avatar
Joined Jul 2009
1,189 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmonty View Post
Awesome stuff, Twister!

Was that lake naci in the wakeboarding shots? Assuming so since you seem to be based out of SLO.

Mind sharing what camera you are using and what post stab software (if any)?

Really professional looking IMO
Thanks man, yea naci for the wakeboard stuff. Currently using the panasonic gh2 hacked and use a nikon d4 for stills. For any shots that need a little stabilizing I use after effects cs6 and will just use 3-5% stabilizing. IMO the footage has to be relatively smooth and good to begin with, stabilizing just makes good footage, great. Looking to pick up an fs700 in the near future.
Twister773 is online now Find More Posts by Twister773
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 16, 2012, 10:13 AM
Registered User
Joined Dec 2011
296 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nisouck View Post
Hi,

I am a new user of the Hoverfly Gimbal onto my S800.

I made a first setup with version 1.6 and now upgrade with the 1.7a (beta) and get the same problem :

during flight, I loose the horizon, roll goes always to the left (left site goes down and right goes up).

If I rotate with rudder, for some time, horizon become good but don't stay.

Where is the problem, what can I do??

Pan is not enabled, Roll is enabled but transmitter control none and pitch enabled with angle.
Clearly, horizontality react when I give rudder ......
I think that we all need to start shopping for another solution. I have practically begged Ben at HF to get back to me with any tip that might help this same issue that you are dealing with. ANY TIP, no matter how small or remote. Still nothing in the way of a suggestion. I lost my entire Fall season of shooting for having foolishly placed my faith in this product after wasting months with the PH Skyline. I have tried every version of the HFG software and firmware. In my experience they are only getting worse. I have moved the HGF board to several locations on the S800 multirotor with very little success. It actually seemed better for one flight but then it all went down hill after that. Completely unpredictable with the 'creeping horizon 'just as you described in your post. I do not understand how a company can virtually ignore their customer's desperation in a situation like this and still intent to stay in business with any customer confidence. Boggles the mind.
rancherpete is offline Find More Posts by rancherpete
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2012, 02:06 PM
Registered User
Belgique, Région Wallonne, Braine-l'Alleud
Joined Dec 2008
188 Posts
@rancherpete

Thanks for sharing your point of vue.
I thing I'll share it closely.

I have changed the setup place of the OFG, remaking all the software setup for no good result.
To check RF coming from my APN, I flight without it ......... same!

I now intend to test 1.03 version that seem "better" as I can read in this forum.

nisouck is offline Find More Posts by nisouck
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2012, 02:14 PM
Registered User
Joined Dec 2011
296 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nisouck View Post
@rancherpete

Thanks for sharing your point of vue.
I thing I'll share it closely.

I have changed the setup place of the OFG, remaking all the software setup for no good result.
To check RF coming from my APN, I flight without it ......... same!

I now intend to test 1.03 version that seem "better" as I can read in this forum.

I feel your pain. By the way: changing to 1.03 did not help my situation at all. I also removed the camera and everything else that I was told could be causing interference (after relocating the HFG board to several places) and the HFG still lost the horizon. HF wrote to me earlier today and told me that they know there is a problem, that they are working on it, but have no answers or solutions at this time. I am waiting for a shielded box to arrive some day soon to see if it will help. I will post my results but I do not have much hope at this point. Good luck.
rancherpete is offline Find More Posts by rancherpete
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2012, 03:04 PM
Registered User
Belgique, Région Wallonne, Braine-l'Alleud
Joined Dec 2008
188 Posts
Ok, thanks. But if someone has another advice .....

I think I will ask to be refund!
nisouck is offline Find More Posts by nisouck
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2012, 03:11 PM
Aerial Abstract Art
Daloaf's Avatar
San Francisco, CA
Joined Nov 2005
2,373 Posts
I can say, that using a askman AG550 v2 gimbal with the hoverfly on firmware 1.03 that my horizon is perfect for most of the flight and when it does tilt, it doesn't tilt more then 5 degrees or so. I'm not saying it's perfect, it's not. The fact that we can't upgrade to newer firmwares because they made the problem worse, is one issue and the fact that so many settings are not explained in the manual is another issue. Makes it hard to figure out what settings to change to get it to work perfectly. But with some tinkering and for me, moving the HF controller behind the camera has given me really good results. A few other things, make sure your sliders for tilt are in the level position before plugging in and make sure you plug in on a level surface.

But as far as using something else, have you looked at all of the other gimbal controllers on the market. First off, there is only a few and they are all either have worse problems (skyline) or cost 3 times as much (raidan). This industry is just starting and there are a lot of bumps in the road, but that's what we get being early adopters. In a few years, hopefully we will have a ton of options to choose from that will be good. Or of course you could just sell everything and get a zenmuse.
Daloaf is offline Find More Posts by Daloaf
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 16, 2012, 03:16 PM
Registered User
Joined Dec 2011
296 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daloaf View Post
I can say, that using a askman AG550 v2 gimbal with the hoverfly on firmware 1.03 that my horizon is perfect for most of the flight and when it does tilt, it doesn't tilt more then 5 degrees or so. I'm not saying it's perfect, it's not. The fact that we can't upgrade to newer firmwares because they made the problem worse, is one issue and the fact that so many settings are not explained in the manual is another issue. Makes it hard to figure out what settings to change to get it to work perfectly. But with some tinkering and for me, moving the HF controller behind the camera has given me really good results. A few other things, make sure your sliders for tilt are in the level position before plugging in and make sure you plug in on a level surface.

But as far as using something else, have you looked at all of the other gimbal controllers on the market. First off, there is only a few and they are all either have worse problems (skyline) or cost 3 times as much (raidan). This industry is just starting and there are a lot of bumps in the road, but that's what we get being early adopters. In a few years, hopefully we will have a ton of options to choose from that will be good. Or of course you could just sell everything and get a zenmuse.
HF are the ones who advertise their HFG product with the phrase, "A perfect horizon every time!" Its just not true. Not even close. I hope they work it out.
rancherpete is offline Find More Posts by rancherpete
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2012, 07:24 PM
Registered User
Joined Dec 2011
296 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nisouck View Post
@rancherpete

Thanks for sharing your point of vue.
I thing I'll share it closely.

I have changed the setup place of the OFG, remaking all the software setup for no good result.
To check RF coming from my APN, I flight without it ......... same!

I now intend to test 1.03 version that seem "better" as I can read in this forum.

I'm not sure what flight controller you are using. I am using a DJI Wookong (WKM) so I have decided to simply go back to the F1 & F2 ports for gimbal stabilization which are giving me better results than the HFG and a level horizon. I wish that this would have occurred to me sooner. It actually works better than I thought it would but it is still not the answer I was looking for.
rancherpete is offline Find More Posts by rancherpete
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2012, 10:03 PM
Aerial Abstract Art
Daloaf's Avatar
San Francisco, CA
Joined Nov 2005
2,373 Posts
If your getting better results on your WK-m then the HF controller, something is really not right. Either you have a bad HF controller or your settings, firmware or placement is way off. I used the Naza and WK-m with the new firmware updates to the gimbal and it's still terrible. Unless it's a perfectly calm day, it's really hard to get good results from a DJI controller.
Daloaf is offline Find More Posts by Daloaf
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 17, 2012, 01:57 AM
Registered User
Belgique, Région Wallonne, Braine-l'Alleud
Joined Dec 2008
188 Posts
A other problem, when rebooting or geting supply on, from time to time, roll is not well initialized, it is not horizontal!!!!!
nisouck is offline Find More Posts by nisouck
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2012, 08:34 AM
Registered User
GGoodrum's Avatar
South Orange County, CA
Joined Mar 2003
7,878 Posts
Pete, where do you have the HFG board mounted? I know you said you tried several locations, but any of these close to being over the camera body? What I've found is that you need to have it at least 6" away from the body, and it needs to be behind the camera, not over it. Which camera are you using? I've found some are worse than others. My NEX-5N was actually the least susceptible, needing to be at least 4-5" away (and behind the camera...). My RX100, on the other hand, needs to be 5-6" away. The worst, by far, though, is my Sony PJ710V. It needs to be 6-7", and it also causes issues with GPS reception with the Naza controller. When that camera is on, the Naza starts dropping sats. My GPS antenna is pretty much centered so it would work better moved back a couple inches.

-- Gary
GGoodrum is online now Find More Posts by GGoodrum
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2012, 09:54 AM
Registered User
Joined Dec 2011
296 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GGoodrum View Post
Pete, where do you have the HFG board mounted? I know you said you tried several locations, but any of these close to being over the camera body? What I've found is that you need to have it at least 6" away from the body, and it needs to be behind the camera, not over it. Which camera are you using? I've found some are worse than others. My NEX-5N was actually the least susceptible, needing to be at least 4-5" away (and behind the camera...). My RX100, on the other hand, needs to be 5-6" away. The worst, by far, though, is my Sony PJ710V. It needs to be 6-7", and it also causes issues with GPS reception with the Naza controller. When that camera is on, the Naza starts dropping sats. My GPS antenna is pretty much centered so it would work better moved back a couple inches.

-- Gary
Gary: I think you helped me with this earlier. I took your kind advice as above. I am using the NEX5N and your advice to move the camera further back and higher away from the camera did seem to help, but for just one flight or so. I have an S800, WKM, PH AV200, no FPV (I don't dare try it with these issues) and have nothing else on board to add any further EMI of RF. As I mentioned earlier; I am waiting on a shielded box for the HFG to see if this helps. If the cause of this r'oll/on yaw' or any of these other issues is in fact induced by EMI or RF wouldn't you think that just shielding the HFG board would be the answer? The fact is that I removed my camera altogether and still have these problems so I don't think it can be blamed entirely upon interference from the camera itself. As I mentioned, I have been desperate to get some assistance from HF but after three weeks of begging I have not been offered a single tip other than reverting to earlier firmware. Perhaps my statement that the WKM works better was an exaggeration but not when it comes to maintaining a level horizon. My horizons are a mess with the HFG
and with the WKM I can, at the very least, salvage something with the horizons in tact and try to re-work them from there in Premiere Pro. I will post my results after testing the shielded box and hope that this will help. More on this later, I'm sure.
rancherpete is offline Find More Posts by rancherpete
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2012, 10:52 AM
Registered User
Joined Oct 2012
2 Posts
If there is some interference between the roll gimbal and pan and yaw, what about using two different HF Gimbals, and dedicate one to roll and the other to pan and yaw? it is still cheaper than a Raidan solution.
pmacafee is offline Find More Posts by pmacafee
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2012, 11:13 AM
Registered User
GGoodrum's Avatar
South Orange County, CA
Joined Mar 2003
7,878 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rancherpete View Post
Gary: I think you helped me with this earlier. I took your kind advice as above. I am using the NEX5N and your advice to move the camera further back and higher away from the camera did seem to help, but for just one flight or so. I have an S800, WKM, PH AV200, no FPV (I don't dare try it with these issues) and have nothing else on board to add any further EMI of RF. As I mentioned earlier; I am waiting on a shielded box for the HFG to see if this helps. If the cause of this r'oll/on yaw' or any of these other issues is in fact induced by EMI or RF wouldn't you think that just shielding the HFG board would be the answer? The fact is that I removed my camera altogether and still have these problems so I don't think it can be blamed entirely upon interference from the camera itself. As I mentioned, I have been desperate to get some assistance from HF but after three weeks of begging I have not been offered a single tip other than reverting to earlier firmware. Perhaps my statement that the WKM works better was an exaggeration but not when it comes to maintaining a level horizon. My horizons are a mess with the HFG
and with the WKM I can, at the very least, salvage something with the horizons in tact and try to re-work them from there in Premiere Pro. I will post my results after testing the shielded box and hope that this will help. More on this later, I'm sure.
It might actually be that you have a bad board. Where are you located? Maybe I can loan you one to try, just to eliminate the board itself from being an issue. PM me your address, etc.

-- Gary
GGoodrum is online now Find More Posts by GGoodrum
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2012, 04:01 PM
Registered User
Joined Dec 2011
296 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GGoodrum View Post
It might actually be that you have a bad board. Where are you located? Maybe I can loan you one to try, just to eliminate the board itself from being an issue. PM me your address, etc.

-- Gary
Gary: That is very generous of you to offer this. I just received confirmation that my shielded box is on its way to me so I think I will hold out and try that first to see if shielding the HFG board actually helps. If not I may take you up on your generous offer. Thanks again!

Pete
rancherpete is offline Find More Posts by rancherpete
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion DJI Wookong-M Owners Thread *Pics*Videos*Settings* Z06 Tony Multirotor Talk 1768 Mar 22, 2014 11:38 PM
Discussion HoverflyGIMBAL Demonstration Videos photronix Hoverfly Technologies 10 May 18, 2012 03:53 PM
Link HoverflyGIMBAL Manual and Setup Client hoverben Hoverfly Technologies 1 May 17, 2012 02:25 PM
Discussion HoverflyGIMBAL - Input Voltage? Manual? defxxx Hoverfly Technologies 10 May 17, 2012 01:54 PM
New Product HoverflyGIMBAL - Now Shipping! photronix Multirotor Talk 9 May 15, 2012 12:46 PM