HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 29, 2012, 01:35 AM
John
United States, WA, Mason
Joined Apr 2011
796 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyHK View Post
Share one of my lastest testing with HG board video .
I just cut and put the shots together with the nice song.
It has no any post-stabilization. so you will find there still have some jello effect from the camera gimbal. That is one of my last part need to fix it. i hope i could handle that soon.
Ok, guys enjoy ! the shooting location is my home town Hong Kong. =)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9JkXvb7_Kw
Sunny, Excellent job. I liked it. --- At 1:21 what is that happening on the end of the dock. it looks like a line (rope) moving around the end of the dock. Played it back multiple times, and can't figure it out. There is shot of the same spot closer in at 1:08 , but there is nothing there.???? -- JOHN
digitalCAM is offline Find More Posts by digitalCAM
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 29, 2012, 09:43 AM
Joined May 2012
54 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalCAM View Post
Sunny, Excellent job. I liked it. --- At 1:21 what is that happening on the end of the dock. it looks like a line (rope) moving around the end of the dock. Played it back multiple times, and can't figure it out. There is shot of the same spot closer in at 1:08 , but there is nothing there.???? -- JOHN
Thanks John.
Hee hee =), actually the "Rope" object is a fishing rod .
In HK here, some guys love to fishing at the dock.
SunnyHK is offline Find More Posts by SunnyHK
Old Sep 29, 2012, 01:43 PM
South Orange County, CA
Joined Mar 2003
8,113 Posts
Okay, I finally have what I consider a very "zen-like" example, using the HFG board with our AG550v2 gimbal. The camera is a Sony RX100 and the video is raw, right out of the camera.

AG550v2 RX 2 Axis Gimbal Test 11 (4 min 32 sec)

The AG550v2 has a 2.5:1 belt drive ratio on the roll axis, and the there is an external pot on the tilt axis, with a 2.8:1 BD ratio. The roll scaling/gain is set to 30.3750 and the acceleration setting is 200. For the tilt axis, the numbers are 7.6250 and 450, respectively. I'm using v1.03 of the HFG firmware.

In order to eliminate the yaw-roll coupling issue, we ended up adding a small platform/plate to the top/back part of the gimbal. This gets it about 6-7" away from the camera. Any closer, and the problem comes back.

-- Gary
GGoodrum is offline Find More Posts by GGoodrum
Old Sep 29, 2012, 03:52 PM
Joined Dec 2011
296 Posts
Nice Video Gary! With regard to moving the HFG further away from the camera; could we use something like 'MuMetal' to line a small project box containing the HFG board to block the EMI interference... or is it RF interference? If we knew more about what type of interference we are dealing with maybe we could find a way to block it. Can anyone speculate on what type of interference it is that is screwing up the HFG board?
rancherpete is offline Find More Posts by rancherpete
Old Sep 29, 2012, 04:07 PM
South Orange County, CA
Joined Mar 2003
8,113 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rancherpete View Post
Nice Video Gary! With regard to moving the HFG further away from the camera; could we use something like 'MuMetal' to line a small project box containing the HFG board to block the EMI interference... or is it RF interference? If we knew more about what type of interference we are dealing with maybe we could find a way to block it. Can anyone speculate on what type of interference it is that is screwing up the HFG board?
I have no idea if adding a shield of some sort will help. The only thing that was worked for me is moving the board as far away form the camera as possible. I also found that some cameras are worse than others. As expected, the PJ710V is the worst. Moving the HFG board even 5" will cause the problem to recur. Not only that, there's also a coupling in the tilt axis as well. This camera also screws up the GPS lock on the Naza. I had to fly in the non-GPS mode.

The second worst camera, in terms of causing problems with the HFG board, is the RX100. Anything closer than about 5" and it will couple. The NEX-5N caused the least problems. I could get it about 4" away before it starts to happen.

Last I heard, Dan was locked away in a dimly lit room, with nothing but Twinkies and Diet Coke, but I'm guessing he escaped, and is now on the lam.

-- Gary
GGoodrum is offline Find More Posts by GGoodrum
Old Sep 29, 2012, 10:12 PM
Aerial Abstract Art
San Francisco, CA
Joined Nov 2005
2,520 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rancherpete View Post
I am still trying to find a way to slow down the manual pitch rate from the lever on my Futaba TX. I can't seem to find a control within the HFG Setup Client to allow me to slow down the MANUAL pitch movement independent of the automatic pitch leveling while in flight. Any thoughts on this?
I have another question related to the manual slider to pitch to manually pitch the camera down. On my JR 11x I set me gimbal manual tilt to the gear channel and then assigned that to one of my sliders. The slider goes from -150 in one extreme, to 0 at middle to 150 at the other extreme. Right now level is at -150 and max rotation (90 degrees down) is when the slider is in the middle or at 0. From 0 to 150 the gimbal does nothing. It seems like the HF gimbal controller recognizes -150 (or 150 if you reverse the direction) as one end point and 0 as the other end point for it's movement. But being able to only use half of the switches throw makes it really hard to get small movements on the tilt. Right now, ever click on the slider does like 15 degrees.

Is there any way to set the HF gimbal to have level be at -150 and 90 degrees down be at 150 and 0 be 45 degrees down?
Daloaf is offline Find More Posts by Daloaf
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 30, 2012, 11:09 AM
Joined Dec 2011
296 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daloaf View Post
I have another question related to the manual slider to pitch to manually pitch the camera down. On my JR 11x I set me gimbal manual tilt to the gear channel and then assigned that to one of my sliders. The slider goes from -150 in one extreme, to 0 at middle to 150 at the other extreme. Right now level is at -150 and max rotation (90 degrees down) is when the slider is in the middle or at 0. From 0 to 150 the gimbal does nothing. It seems like the HF gimbal controller recognizes -150 (or 150 if you reverse the direction) as one end point and 0 as the other end point for it's movement. But being able to only use half of the switches throw makes it really hard to get small movements on the tilt. Right now, ever click on the slider does like 15 degrees.

Is there any way to set the HF gimbal to have level be at -150 and 90 degrees down be at 150 and 0 be 45 degrees down?
I have had some of the same issues. I did however learn that the setting for "Softening" slows down the speed at which the gimbal pitch moves which was very helpful. I now have it set to "1" and it works very well.
Old Sep 30, 2012, 11:47 PM
USA, RI, East Providence
Joined Jun 2010
419 Posts
im having trouble understanding how i can have the PAN controlled form a transmitter channel on a stick as well as on a 3 way switch for mode...

Im using a DX7 for cam op, a CS 8 with 360, and have had some pretty good results on stabilization on all 3 axis (bench anyway), but i would like to be able to control the pan, then kick it into pan lock. but i dont understand how to setup.
crashtested is offline Find More Posts by crashtested
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 01, 2012, 07:24 PM
Bosnia
Joined Dec 2010
107 Posts
I am also setting up HF gimbal with av 130 and I got stuck with yaw axe.
Could somebody explain it here !
If I do not use magnetometer the yaw cannot stay in one place and always moves a bit !
How do I know if the calibration of magnetometer is done properly ?

edit: found tumad post
darkovujasinovic is offline Find More Posts by darkovujasinovic
Last edited by darkovujasinovic; Oct 01, 2012 at 07:33 PM.
Old Oct 02, 2012, 09:52 AM
Bosnia
Joined Dec 2010
107 Posts
I set up roll and tilt and I am very happy with it but I cannot set up yaw !
First of all I cannot physically set up yaw not to move with my radio , so i cannot centre it as it always start to move after a while being centered !
It shoould not be that complicated but I cannot do it so far !
darkovujasinovic is offline Find More Posts by darkovujasinovic
Old Oct 02, 2012, 12:00 PM
Aerial Abstract Art
San Francisco, CA
Joined Nov 2005
2,520 Posts
Ok, I discovered a few things (that should have been in the manual) about slowing my tilt down and smoothing it out. First off, tilt speed is controlled by going to the receiver config menu. Then click on Current Angle Set Range button on the pitch channel. Max Deflection is the angle that the gimbal will tilt. Max Angle Update Rate is the speed at which it will tilt. Putting in a lower number will give you a nice slow (smoother) tilt and a high number will give you a quick tilt. I went with 12 as I want a really smooth tilt that doesn't look quite as jarring as a quick tilt. It takes about 7 seconds to do a full tilt. It works great for tilting down when flying over a subject.

The second part is the Smoothness option in the receiver config page. This controls the acceleration and deceleration of the tilt. With a high smoothness number, when your tilt gets to the angle that your TX tells it to, it stops right away in a very jarring manor. With a low smoothness number, it will slow down and come to a stop smoothly. It does what it says, it smooths out the movement. I'm using a setting of 3.

In the receiver config, I only have manual control of the tilt. If you also have manual control of the Yaw channel as well, it looks like the smoothness is a single setting for all channels.

One other thing. I have my manual tilt control setup on my gear channel which is assigned to a Slider switch. Before I stated that the tilt would only use half of the sliders movement (from -150 to 0) instead of the full movement (-150 to 150). It made it hard to get fine control over the tilt. Well I found a work around solution to it. On my JR 11x I can make a mix with a curve. I mixed Gear to Gear and changed it so that when my slider is at 50% (0) it's telling the HF that it's only at 25% and when it's at 100% (150) it's telling the HF that it's at 50%. This way I get the full motion of my slider to control the tilt angle, rather then half.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Daloaf; Oct 02, 2012 at 12:14 PM.
Old Oct 03, 2012, 11:01 PM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Feb 2012
67 Posts
I too am now re-experiencing yaw coupling after upgrading to 1.06 on a recent shoot in Texas. Gimbal is mounted away from the camera as some have suggested....I guess there is no official patch yet?

But here is the bottom line. It's a CAMERA GIMBAL FOR MULTIROTORS!!! We all have tons of servos, wires, carbon fiber, cameras, video transmitters, motors, BECs, stainless hardware, batteries, and high amp power distribution boards all in close quarters. If the HFGIMBAL is disturbed by .5V, then I think we have a major problem with the design of a product that cant cope with the environment in which it needs to function in the real world. I'm sorry, but I have 21V @ 450A running through a mass of wires within just 6in of the stabilizer. I fly big cameras/glass and packing stuff close together is an unavoidable reality.

I have a CNC router and can make my own components. I can router another mount that places the HFGIMBAL 15 feet from the camera. But that's not the point. The point is that this stuff supposedly for professional use. That means it needs to work out of the box every time. What are we doing spending hours playing with settings, RF issues, bugs, etc? That sounds like hobby grade to me. I'm not a hobbyist. I find no joy in tinkering endlessly.

I'm not saying that product design and manufacturing is easy. Major props to HF for making stuff. And I can always look at it and say hey, what more do you want for $350? Thats dirt cheap for as much work as goes into prototyping and coding it. At the same time I would pay x10-x20-x30 more for something that is for professionals if it actually worked...and came in a case that shielded it from the environment, and when traveling, and from fear static electricity, and had positive locking connectors...right?

Hoverfly - is this a stabilizer for someone like me? Or am I asking for something unreasonable out of the product? Shouldn't products solve problems and make work easier? I'm feeling like my needs aren't being met.
defxxx is offline Find More Posts by defxxx
Old Oct 04, 2012, 08:37 AM
JorgeSevilla
Spain, AL, Sevilla
Joined May 2010
29 Posts
Hi guys, I want to share this video with you. It is the final test of HFG 1.6. Everything works fine, but when starting the gimbal the Pan trim must be used in order to stop undesired rotation. The gimbal is a cinestar with savox servos.
We had as well problems with horizontal offsets, but I fix it calibrating again the Giros in a less temperature amplitude. Here is the video:

Dronetools Gimbal Test Okto2K (2 min 4 sec)
malfario is offline Find More Posts by malfario
Last edited by malfario; Nov 18, 2012 at 06:08 AM.
Old Oct 04, 2012, 09:59 AM
Joined Dec 2011
296 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by defxxx View Post
I too am now re-experiencing yaw coupling after upgrading to 1.06 on a recent shoot in Texas. Gimbal is mounted away from the camera as some have suggested....I guess there is no official patch yet?

But here is the bottom line. It's a CAMERA GIMBAL FOR MULTIROTORS!!! We all have tons of servos, wires, carbon fiber, cameras, video transmitters, motors, BECs, stainless hardware, batteries, and high amp power distribution boards all in close quarters. If the HFGIMBAL is disturbed by .5V, then I think we have a major problem with the design of a product that cant cope with the environment in which it needs to function in the real world. I'm sorry, but I have 21V @ 450A running through a mass of wires within just 6in of the stabilizer. I fly big cameras/glass and packing stuff close together is an unavoidable reality.

I have a CNC router and can make my own components. I can router another mount that places the HFGIMBAL 15 feet from the camera. But that's not the point. The point is that this stuff supposedly for professional use. That means it needs to work out of the box every time. What are we doing spending hours playing with settings, RF issues, bugs, etc? That sounds like hobby grade to me. I'm not a hobbyist. I find no joy in tinkering endlessly.

I'm not saying that product design and manufacturing is easy. Major props to HF for making stuff. And I can always look at it and say hey, what more do you want for $350? Thats dirt cheap for as much work as goes into prototyping and coding it. At the same time I would pay x10-x20-x30 more for something that is for professionals if it actually worked...and came in a case that shielded it from the environment, and when traveling, and from fear static electricity, and had positive locking connectors...right?

Hoverfly - is this a stabilizer for someone like me? Or am I asking for something unreasonable out of the product? Shouldn't products solve problems and make work easier? I'm feeling like my needs aren't being met.
This was very well put. I could not have said it better myself. I am certain that a great many of us appreciate the time you took to voice this valid concern, at least I do. I am very disappointed in the performance of the Hoverfly Gimbal "Controller". After months of disappointment, aggravation and additional expenses after wallowing through the PH Skyline RSGS mess I thought that this would be the answer. Before buying the HFG I called the company, explained the 'baggage' I came to them with and asked if there were ANY outstanding issues. They assured me that there were not. Sadly, that sounded good enough for me. Clearly there are issues and to date I am finding this unit unusable for my rather basic purposes with no light at the end of the tunnel. Endless tinkering and pondering the most obvious of questions: "Why would a company send out a rather fragile product, completely unprotected, in what most people would agree can be a harsh environment?" Especially when protecting it might offer a means to shield it from unwanted electromagnetic interference?" Oh well, this is going nowhere fast and I find myself unable to shoot the jobs I have so diligently lined up do to the endless hours it takes to correct the crooked horizons I must now deal with in post processing due to the HFG "Roll on Yaw" issue.

Very disappointing.
Old Oct 04, 2012, 12:05 PM
Aerial Abstract Art
San Francisco, CA
Joined Nov 2005
2,520 Posts
I'm not going to defend HF here as the latest firmware has a pretty bad Yaw/roll issue, but if you go back to firmware 1.03, the roll when yawing is minimal to none. I have been getting great quality videos from the HF gimbal controller and have the settings almost perfect for my Askman AG550 gimbal. I can honestly say that I am very pleased with this controller.

The controller could use a MUCH BETTER manual that explains what ALL of the settings actually do. But it needs all of those settings to be used with a variety of different gimbals. If you want a pro setup and don't like tinkering with settings and have client deadlines, you should go out and buy a S800 (or similar) and Zenmuse or have Quadrocopter build and test a Cinestar, raidan and Cinestar gimbal. Otherwise, your a hobbyist like the rest of us, building, tinkering and testing trying to get everything perfect. As far as the HF gimbal controller, there really isn't anything better then it from the competition at this price point. It's hard to remember that all of this tech is just in it's infancy (at least for consumers) and we are pretty much cutting edge. There are going to be a lot of bumps in the road before we get perfect results.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Daloaf; Oct 04, 2012 at 12:11 PM.