HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 18, 2012, 10:52 PM
Joined May 2012
54 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by S11D336B View Post
Looking pretty good. What firmware is on it?
it is V1.03 so far! but i will try&test the newest one again this weekend. coz somehow V1.06 has a problem with yaw-roll like other user.
i will report back once i test it again.
Thanks!
SunnyHK is offline Find More Posts by SunnyHK
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 18, 2012, 11:02 PM
Joined May 2012
54 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psionic001 View Post
Which model gimbal is it? I can help with av200.
Thank you niscouk. hey did you for help from Psionic001?
as i m using AV130, not AV200. you are better ask them to get more info.
i just copy some their setting for you here. hope it useful for you.

ROLL SETTINGS:
Centre Point (yours will be slightly different)

Scaling factor:

Min Pulse: 1.000
Max Pulse: 2.000
(you can reduce these for safety to get less throw lets say 1.1 to 1.9)

Acceleration Rate gain:

PID Gain:
8.00 (reduce this to slow the roll down)

TILT SETTINGS:
NOTE: I don't know whether you are supposed to set servo centre at about 45 degrees down which is the servo travel centre point, OR at Horizontal. The figure above is horizontal for me.

Scaling factor:

Acceleration Rate gain:

PID Gain:
8.00 (reduce this to slow the tilt down)
Old Sep 18, 2012, 11:12 PM
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Apr 2006
2,190 Posts
My settings were posted way back here:
Cheers
Matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyHK View Post
Thank you niscouk. hey did you for help from Psionic001?
as i m using AV130, not AV200. you are better ask them to get more info.
i just copy some their setting for you here. hope it useful for you.

ROLL SETTINGS:

Scaling factor:

Acceleration Rate gain:

PID Gain:
8.00 (reduce this to slow the roll down)

TILT SETTINGS:
NOTE: I don't know whether you are supposed to set servo centre at about 45 degrees down which is the servo travel centre point, OR at Horizontal. The figure above is horizontal for me.

Scaling factor:

Acceleration Rate gain:

PID Gain:
8.00 (reduce this to slow the tilt down)
Psionic001 is online now Find More Posts by Psionic001
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 19, 2012, 01:06 AM
Aerial Videography @ Photo Co.
Joined Aug 2012
44 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crashtested View Post
as per the thread title...
Anyone have any SETTINGS they can share for me to start with?
Im flying a cinestar 8 with 360 gimbal.

Also... I would love to see some pics of other peoples equipment layout on the cinestar gimbal. Ive got a number of different layout plans that im considering and would really like to see some others to compare. Including the placement of the HFg.

-andy
Andy shoot me a PM and I can share the settings we have as a baseline for you. We are using 1.06 and it's working fine for us. Definitely have seen the coupling issue on the ground when we hold it a certain way, but it hasn't severely affected or restricted us. We flew last weekend for a pretty major event and had zero issues with normal flight. We also have a second camera operator so we aren't flying in HH most of the time.
AEROXOOM is offline Find More Posts by AEROXOOM
Old Sep 19, 2012, 01:27 AM
Belgique, Région Wallonne, Braine-l'Alleud
Joined Dec 2008
194 Posts
Thank you all for sharing your setup.

Next week, I will start to setup my Cinestar, those setup will be helpfull to start and have a better understanding of some parameters.
nisouck is offline Find More Posts by nisouck
Old Sep 19, 2012, 01:38 AM
Polynésie française, Îles du Vent, Papeete
Joined Mar 2010
506 Posts
anybody would have the pan setting it is the harder to tune .
flytahiti is offline Find More Posts by flytahiti
Old Sep 19, 2012, 02:52 AM
Belgique, Région Wallonne, Braine-l'Alleud
Joined Dec 2008
194 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by photronix View Post
I am finishing up the manual......next few days.

The Power input on the HoverflyGIMBAL is directly output to the servos and the receiver. If the servos need 6v then you MUST power the HFG with 6v. If you use a 3s battery it will destroy the receiver and servos!

Use a BEC to power the HFG--->Servos--->receiver. Its all the same connection.
I use a DJI WK for the supply, can I do like this:

DJI PMU (Power Manager Unit) --> MC and Receiver

Bec --> HFG and servos Roll and Tilt

Receiver (stick and/or switch) --> HFG with wire (without Red wire)

Thanks for the reply.
nisouck is offline Find More Posts by nisouck
Old Sep 19, 2012, 04:22 PM
Joined Nov 2000
91 Posts
Not what I expected

Hi all, I have never understood mixing of radios, so this is my first problem.
On a JR X388s I have an AUX3 switch.. I have no idea how to assign that to tell the pan not to stabilize or to stabilize.
2nd problem, I've been at this for 13 hours straight, got everything working, but when the pan is in auto mode, the cam operator has little if no control over the pan as with a normal gimbal.. This seems a bit useless to me, also the fact that it drifts and can't really or easily find center and seems to accelerate to the desired pan.
So first impressions and i haven't even flown yet, are somewhat disheartening, I am very tired now, have a big job on Saturday and was hoping to use this by then.

Could someone please explain to me how to set the radio 3 stage switch to activate and deactivate the auto lock feature? I have everything set up in the software as described, but am stuck with the radio part. Please don't send me to the manual of the radio, I cannot understand it and never have..

If someone could take the time to assist I would greatly appreciate it, the makers website is not much help at this point.
Thanks all

[edit] All sorted thanks to Ben from Hoverfly
tumad is offline Find More Posts by tumad
Last edited by tumad; Sep 21, 2012 at 06:22 AM. Reason: completed
Old Sep 20, 2012, 07:35 AM
Joined Nov 2000
91 Posts
HoverflyGimbal test (0 min 32 sec)
Old Sep 21, 2012, 12:13 AM
Joined Aug 2012
44 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tumad View Post
Looks pretty good to me man, great job!

- Jeff
Old Sep 21, 2012, 12:21 AM
Joined Aug 2012
44 Posts
Quote:
Hi all, I have never understood mixing of radios, so this is my first problem.
On a JR X388s I have an AUX3 switch.. I have no idea how to assign that to tell the pan not to stabilize or to stabilize.
2nd problem, I've been at this for 13 hours straight, got everything working, but when the pan is in auto mode, the cam operator has little if no control over the pan as with a normal gimbal.. This seems a bit useless to me, also the fact that it drifts and can't really or easily find center and seems to accelerate to the desired pan.
So first impressions and i haven't even flown yet, are somewhat disheartening, I am very tired now, have a big job on Saturday and was hoping to use this by then.

Could someone please explain to me how to set the radio 3 stage switch to activate and deactivate the auto lock feature? I have everything set up in the software as described, but am stuck with the radio part. Please don't send me to the manual of the radio, I cannot understand it and never have..

If someone could take the time to assist I would greatly appreciate it, the makers website is not much help at this point.
Thanks all

Tumad are you flying in Heading hold for your job on Saturday or are you working with a second camera operator? We have noticed two different speeds on the pan based off if you are in HH or not. The desired speed for us is when we aren't in HH. What we have done is the camera operator frames the shot, and then flips the HH switch if that is the desired effect. If pan moves a little bit we trim it and it sets it just fine.

Personally as the pilot, I don't like the pan taking over, I like having control of where the front of the aircraft is and I don't really like the HH function when we are flying for gigs with a lot of people around. Remember once you set HH the pan wants to autocompensate for you to stay on that compass heading.

I watched the switch get programmed for ours, but we are using a spectrum controller so it might be different. I"ll ask though to see if I can at least direct you in the right way. Anyone else on this? He has a little over 24 hours till his gig and hopefully someone can help.

- Jeff
AEROXOOM
Old Sep 21, 2012, 05:05 AM
Joined Nov 2000
91 Posts
All sorted

Hi there.
Thanks to the support of Ben from Hoverfly via a 2 hour Skype conversation, we finally got it sorted.
For anyone having issues, here are some pointers:
In the manual, SERVO OUTPUT CH1 is roll.. Do not confuse this with the Aileron ch of your Radio receiver as I initially did, it has nothing to do with it and the aileron out of your receiver does NOT need to be connected at all. The controller does that job automatically for you. All you need to connect from your receiver is the pan (rudder or aileron and tilt/elevator) to input 2 and 3 of the controller.

On your radio, find a spare channel that is either controlled via a button or a poti. Test this by connecting a spare servo and move all the switches and pots to determine which one activates that spare servo. Once identified (mine was CH8 on the receiver = AUX 3) connect that output to the input 1 of the controller. This is now going to be the MODE switch (poti)

To confirm, launch the software and connect the controller. Activate the switch/poti and see that CH1 in RADIO CONFIG actually changes the mode from 0 -1-2 these are the 3 modes of the controller. Don't forget that CH1 needs to be switched to MODE SWITCH in the CHANEL CONFIG window. You might need to hit the REVERSE switch if it goes 2-1-0.

We launch the craft in MODE 0 = Panlock is not activated. Once in the air you can activate either MODE 1 or MODE 2.

If like me your AUX channel is on a poti, you can make a dummy mix by mixing any spare channel (I used 7 as master) to ch 8. I.e. Mix 7&8 Make sure your poti is in the center position (actually mode 1) and then assign the output of the mix to 100%. I.e. activating a spare switch will mix ch 7 with CH 8 by a factor of 100%.
What this does is change the mode from 0 to 1 with a switch as apposed to a cumbersome poti. Test this with a spare servo attached to your AUX output of your receiver. The servo should move 50% of travel.
Now you have a on-off switch for heading lock.

More tips:
SERVO CONFIG page:

CENTER POINT = SERVO TRIM
SCALING FACTOR = MAXIMUM THROW
ACCELLERATION GAIN = STRENGTH OF DEFLECTION
Old Sep 21, 2012, 06:38 AM
Joined May 2012
54 Posts
Beast in the wind testing WMK+HoverflyGimbal
There is no single postabilization,i m happy near perfect from this HG board.
Just need to fix the AV130mount a bit. Yeah...
looks really good as S800+Z15 lol!! (i hope)
Here you go.
beast in the Wind (6 min 26 sec)
Old Sep 21, 2012, 04:08 PM
South Orange County, CA
Joined Mar 2003
8,113 Posts
As many may be aware, we have had a heck of a time with a yaw coupling issue whenever the HF Gimbal board is mounted in a place that is too close to the camera, where yawing the platform caused a roll, in the direction of the yaw, and a tilting up of the camera. Dan, at HoverFly, is still chasing this problem, but in the meantime, we've come up with a workaround that works with our AG550v2 and AG700 2-axis gimbals. What we did was to add a small mounting plate for the HFG board at the back of the gimbal, above the roll assembly. This gets the board far enough away from the camera that the yaw coupling does not occur.

The video below is from a NEX-5N mounted on our first production AG700 DSLR-sized gimbal, using the 18-55mm "kit" lens. The video is raw. There's no post stabilization at all. The platform is our AGY650-LB "Lobster" Y6, which we plan to release next week.

AG700 NX 2 Axis Gimbal Test 01 (4 min 6 sec)

Sorry about the "Blair Witch" nature of the inset video. I didn't have a helper today and I kept checking the FPV video monitor, mainly because I had a 4s-5800 Zippy pack that has started to get a bit puffy, and the screen has the voltage readout. Anyway, this was its last flight.

The "Scaling" number for the roll axis is set to 30.3750 and the acceleration is set to 200. On the pitch axis, the scaling is 7.6250 and the acceleration setting is 400. We only use an external pot for the higher-end BLS950 brushless servos in the tilt axis, which is why the roll axis scaling is higher. Since the roll axis belt drive ratio is a very fast 2.5:1, we find we need very little acceleration. For the pitch axis, the ratio is a bit higher (2.8:1...) and so we bumped up the acceleration a little, to 400.

-- Gary
GGoodrum is offline Find More Posts by GGoodrum
Old Sep 21, 2012, 04:55 PM
Joined Aug 2012
44 Posts
Quote:
Hi there.
Thanks to the support of Ben from Hoverfly via a 2 hour Skype conversation, we finally got it sorted.
For anyone having issues, here are some pointers:
In the manual, SERVO OUTPUT CH1 is roll.. Do not confuse this with the Aileron ch of your Radio receiver as I initially did, it has nothing to do with it and the aileron out of your receiver does NOT need to be connected at all. The controller does that job automatically for you. All you need to connect from your receiver is the pan (rudder or aileron and tilt/elevator) to input 2 and 3 of the controller.

On your radio, find a spare channel that is either controlled via a button or a poti. Test this by connecting a spare servo and move all the switches and pots to determine which one activates that spare servo. Once identified (mine was CH8 on the receiver = AUX 3) connect that output to the input 1 of the controller. This is now going to be the MODE switch (poti)

To confirm, launch the software and connect the controller. Activate the switch/poti and see that CH1 in RADIO CONFIG actually changes the mode from 0 -1-2 these are the 3 modes of the controller. Don't forget that CH1 needs to be switched to MODE SWITCH in the CHANEL CONFIG window. You might need to hit the REVERSE switch if it goes 2-1-0.

We launch the craft in MODE 0 = Panlock is not activated. Once in the air you can activate either MODE 1 or MODE 2.

If like me your AUX channel is on a poti, you can make a dummy mix by mixing any spare channel (I used 7 as master) to ch 8. I.e. Mix 7&8 Make sure your poti is in the center position (actually mode 1) and then assign the output of the mix to 100%. I.e. activating a spare switch will mix ch 7 with CH 8 by a factor of 100%.
What this does is change the mode from 0 to 1 with a switch as apposed to a cumbersome poti. Test this with a spare servo attached to your AUX output of your receiver. The servo should move 50% of travel.
Now you have a on-off switch for heading lock.

More tips:
SERVO CONFIG page:

CENTER POINT = SERVO TRIM
SCALING FACTOR = MAXIMUM THROW
ACCELLERATION GAIN = STRENGTH OF DEFLECTION
Glad Ben got you sorted, I didn't see Dan when I went into the office to see an Erista test today so I couldn't mention it to him. Can't wait to see your test vids!

- Jeff