HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 01, 2012, 09:51 PM
Thailand
Joined Apr 2006
317 Posts
I know it may take time to make a good manual, now it is draft version.

The photo to show how to mount and how it name is one important point that need to have to make sure that the user will not mount and name it wrong.
ThaiskyDigital is offline Find More Posts by ThaiskyDigital
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 02, 2012, 01:37 PM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Mar 2012
69 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adidas4275 View Post
you guys should just buy Gary and Askman's gimbal

any news or new onboard video with the gimbal controller? looking for some like 3 axis heading lock or something?
I think it's pretty cool that these guys found a need in the marketplace and are trying to address it. However, in my case, I need a larger gimbal. I just replaced my AV200 with a Cinestar gimbal. Now to try and get the Cinestar to work with the HFGimbal. Seems that some sort of servo conditioner circuit is needed...
defxxx is offline Find More Posts by defxxx
Old Jun 02, 2012, 03:09 PM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Apr 2012
752 Posts
Askman is working on a larger DSLR gimbal right now as well. I have been keeping tabs on that because I in the market for that sized gimbal as well. Mostly GH2 and 550D, but I want 5D capability . Still leaning towards the cinestar, but I am going to wait and see what happens in the next few weeks.
jcmonty is offline Find More Posts by jcmonty
Old Jun 03, 2012, 03:00 PM
South Orange County, CA
Joined Mar 2003
8,165 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caruda View Post
Hi,

I have 2 MAJOR problems with gimbal setup that blocks me from using HoverFly Gimbal.

1. Pan/Yaw axis stabilization doesn't work. It seems that functionality is not implemented and it is disabled in setup utility.
2. I use HoverFly Gimbal with helicopter and AV200-360. When I test it on ground it works fine. But when it flies it doesn't maintain tilt and roll levels. I turn the gimbal or helicopter to right and it rotates both tilt and roll servos out of level. When I rotate Pan back to initial position it levels Tilt and Roll correctly. When I move Pan to opposite direction situation is the same but the angles of tilt and roll are opposite.

On ground - works. In air - doesn't work.

Michael
I too am seeing a weird coupling between the yaw and roll axis. It starts out fine, but a soon as you yaw the platform, it changes the roll angle. Yawing clockwise makes the camera rotate clockwise in the roll axis, and yawing counter-clockwise makes the camera rotate counter-clockwise. You can see the horizon tilt in the video below, when I yaw left or right of the original heading.

AG550-PJ 2-Axis PJ710V Gimbal Test-10.mov (4 min 23 sec)

I've tried changing everything possible in the configuration app, but it doesn't appear to be anything I can disable. Anybody else seeing this problem?

-- Gary
GGoodrum is offline Find More Posts by GGoodrum
Old Jun 04, 2012, 01:56 AM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Mar 2012
69 Posts
Hi Gary- I too have that problem. I've got a growing support ticket open at HF for about a week now. No solution(s) yet.
defxxx is offline Find More Posts by defxxx
Old Jun 04, 2012, 02:20 AM
manual flying apologist
United States, CA, Fresno
Joined Mar 2011
6,943 Posts
Hmm. Not good news. I want to buy one. But....... If it isn't working I'll wait

Makes me sad.
Adidas4275 is offline Find More Posts by Adidas4275
Old Jun 04, 2012, 10:34 AM
South Orange County, CA
Joined Mar 2003
8,165 Posts
I also submitted a support ticket. Hopefully, somebody will get on this right away. I'm guessing maybe a gremlin got into the code during one of the later updates. I can't imagine that if it was part of the original release that somebody wouldn't have discovered this obvious error. That said, I have noticed this issue when I first tried this board, but I was having so many other issues with the temp calibration bug that I never noticed. I checked the videos I did, and the problem is definitely there, so it sounds like this was there from the initial release.

I suspect that this is happening to everybody, but some just may not have noticed yet. the good news is that this sort of bug should be easy to find and fix, because it is very repeatable. It happens all the time, period.

-- Gary
Old Jun 04, 2012, 07:26 PM
Thailand
Joined Apr 2006
317 Posts
The product is not ready to use " Do not hurry to buy it "
ThaiskyDigital is offline Find More Posts by ThaiskyDigital
Old Jun 05, 2012, 11:21 AM
Joined Apr 2012
752 Posts
not sure if they are using magnetometer, but if so, it could possibly be emi from motors during yaw. Do any other aggressive motor movements causer strange behavior?
Old Jun 05, 2012, 12:39 PM
South Orange County, CA
Joined Mar 2003
8,165 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmonty View Post
not sure if they are using magnetometer, but if so, it could possibly be emi from motors during yaw. Do any other aggressive motor movements causer strange behavior?
Nope, can't be EMI because it will do it just powered up, with the motors off. It does it every time and all the time. This sort of thing has to affect every one of these sold. If you have a HF Gimbal board, just try it, an you will see what I mean.

This product is definitely not ready for market, and should be pulled until this fatal flaw is fixed.

-- Gary
Old Jun 05, 2012, 02:05 PM
Joined Apr 2012
752 Posts
Not necessarily. For example, arducopter had this issue recently where we would get uncommanded yaws during aggressive pitch/roll because of motor interfence. However, that control algorithm used the magnetometer, in combination with gyros, to control yaw (I believe).

But I agree, your problem sounds different. Definitely agree that HF should fix this. Sounds so promising otherwise!
Old Jun 05, 2012, 04:36 PM
South Orange County, CA
Joined Mar 2003
8,165 Posts
Not necessarily?? Hmm... All I know is you don't need to have the motors even installed, much less on. Just have power to the HF Gimbal board, and power to the gimbal servos. Turn the board in the yaw axis, and the roll servo will move a corresponding amount. Yaw back the other direction and the roll servo will move the other direction. This is in addition to the normal roll compensation, which works just fine.

-- Gary
Old Jun 05, 2012, 05:07 PM
Joined Apr 2012
752 Posts
Roger. Definitely isn't emi then. Just thought out may be possibility.
Old Jun 05, 2012, 05:07 PM
manual flying apologist
United States, CA, Fresno
Joined Mar 2011
6,943 Posts
yeah i hope they get this figured out ASAP.

other they just might miss their window, with the PH board the FreeFly and the the news that the WKM firmware will be updated to improve gimbal controls..

i really want to buy this, but not if it isnt working
Adidas4275 is offline Find More Posts by Adidas4275
Old Jun 06, 2012, 04:06 AM
PolynÚsie franšaise, ╬les du Vent, Papeete
Joined Mar 2010
525 Posts
when could we expect a good instruction manual ?????????
flytahiti is online now Find More Posts by flytahiti