Old May 28, 2012, 07:35 AM
Al Ducharme
Orlando, FL
Joined Jan 2005
735 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adidas4275 View Post
you guys should just buy Gary and Askman's gimbal

any news or new onboard video with the gimbal controller? looking for some like 3 axis heading lock or something?
Link?
photronix is offline Find More Posts by photronix
to remove ads between posts
Old May 28, 2012, 12:37 PM
manual flying apologist
United States, CA, Fresno
Joined Mar 2011
6,943 Posts
Thread
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1582036

Store:
http://tppacks.com/catalog/

Askman's site (for custom mounts and such )

http://www.askmanproducts.com/products.html

(they just removed the gimbals because they are releasing a slight update)

My best "test" video with it.
Askman and Gary's Gimbal Test MKS Servos Sony Nex-5n Aerial Video Y-6 Hexacopter HoverFly Test (3 min 23 sec)

If I were you guys I would email Gary ( I think he is an aerospace engineer by trade and has one of your gimbal controllers)
Adidas4275 is offline Find More Posts by Adidas4275
Old May 28, 2012, 02:21 PM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Mar 2012
69 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by photronix View Post
I agree....why are we tweaking such an expensive mount?

I am working on making this better for all of us....
I wonder why as well...

Photohigher products are good and I support what they're trying to do. Kim is passionate about aerial photography and I'm trying to make it work. But I'm running into issues with the HF Gimbal as well. So everyone is trying their best! No doubt this is tough stuff to solve from a technical standpoint. The last 10% is the hardest.
defxxx is offline Find More Posts by defxxx
Old May 29, 2012, 03:00 PM
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Feb 2012
652 Posts
im struggling with the av200 and hfgimbal, when i power up it rolls left and tilts forward, when i plug back in to the pc and connect it. I can reboot it and it starts up the way it should.... Another issue i noticed is my roll servo gear is offcenter, when it turns it creates either really tight or slightly loose spots on the roll cage? any thoughts

I had best results tilt at 375, roll -600
elliott000 is offline Find More Posts by elliott000
Last edited by elliott000; May 29, 2012 at 03:34 PM.
Old May 29, 2012, 10:49 PM
Joined Mar 2012
69 Posts
My Hoverfly Gimbal does the same thing as yours now as well. USB plugged in has one center setting. Booting without USB is then off center. So I have purposely off centered the USB-connected in order to have the gimbal level when powered up normally

I have a support ticket with Ben at hoverfly and the tech team is looking into it. I would suggest you file a ticket as well. It's very strange!
Old May 29, 2012, 11:21 PM
manual flying apologist
Joined Mar 2011
6,943 Posts
honestly.... i dont understand how this stuff gets out in the wild... i mean i obviously have 0 experience in product development and coding but it seems like this board has had a dubious start to an existence....

I want to buy one.... and i get paid on friday, but if it does not work then i am looking else where.
Old May 30, 2012, 01:05 AM
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Feb 2012
652 Posts
i was not "ejecting" it correctly. I assume... It all works fine now and ill further be tweaking it but im quite happy with it, I was saving my settings and unpluggin usd, i decided to save and then click disconnect. All is well
Old May 30, 2012, 10:56 AM
Multicopter AP centric
Canada, AB
Joined Jan 2011
304 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by defxxx View Post
My Hoverfly Gimbal does the same thing as yours now as well. USB plugged in has one center setting. Booting without USB is then off center. So I have purposely off centered the USB-connected in order to have the gimbal level when powered up normally
I am have exactly the same problem with the main Hoverfly board gimbal control (not the HF gimbal per se) - I am sure it is the same coding. I wouldn't think clicking the disconnect button would make a difference but I haven't tried that. There is nothing in the manual that suggests you need to do that.
mbsteed is offline Find More Posts by mbsteed
Old May 30, 2012, 01:33 PM
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Feb 2012
652 Posts
Yea it's wierd, idont know exactly what i changed but it works lol. I reinstalled firmware, recalibrated, setup, ejected all is well
Old May 31, 2012, 12:11 AM
Multicopter AP centric
Canada, AB
Joined Jan 2011
304 Posts
I will try that now.
Old May 31, 2012, 02:25 AM
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Feb 2012
652 Posts
I just finished some more muckin around, i found roll at -1225 and tilt at 650 are pretty awesome, thats just by hand, i tried to replicate little oscillations as if my wkM was correctiong ill test fly on friday and post some vid
Old May 31, 2012, 10:44 AM
Joined Mar 2012
69 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by elliott000 View Post
i was not "ejecting" it correctly. I assume... It all works fine now and ill further be tweaking it but im quite happy with it, I was saving my settings and unpluggin usd, i decided to save and then click disconnect. All is well
I eject the board from the software every time but still have the off center issue. I'll try resetting factory defaults and start over (3rd time).
Old May 31, 2012, 05:10 PM
Multicopter AP centric
Canada, AB
Joined Jan 2011
304 Posts
Yes, I tried the eject technique - it didn't seem to work for me. How are you ejecting it? Are you selecting Disconnect from the Setup Client, or are talking about doing it from the system? I don't know why that would work after exiting out of the setup client.

I tried all the above and still have the problem - the centre position on the roll in the Setup client is not the same as the centre position when powered up without the usb connection to the board.
Old Jun 01, 2012, 02:40 AM
Joined Apr 2012
1 Posts
Hi,

I have 2 MAJOR problems with gimbal setup that blocks me from using HoverFly Gimbal.

1. Pan/Yaw axis stabilization doesn't work. It seems that functionality is not implemented and it is disabled in setup utility.
2. I use HoverFly Gimbal with helicopter and AV200-360. When I test it on ground it works fine. But when it flies it doesn't maintain tilt and roll levels. I turn the gimbal or helicopter to right and it rotates both tilt and roll servos out of level. When I rotate Pan back to initial position it levels Tilt and Roll correctly. When I move Pan to opposite direction situation is the same but the angles of tilt and roll are opposite.

On ground - works. In air - doesn't work.

Michael
---------------------------
http://www.caruda.ru
Caruda is offline Find More Posts by Caruda
Old Jun 01, 2012, 02:41 AM
manual flying apologist
Joined Mar 2011
6,943 Posts
is your gimbal controller mounted on the camera gimbal or the frame of the heli?