SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 19, 2012, 07:04 PM
Joined Dec 2011
296 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rancherpete View Post
Thanks, Yes, it is an AV200. At the moment I have the HF board mounted to the bottom, left, back of the gimbal (as you look at the front of the gimbal where it says Photohigher and the camera lens would be pointing at you). Therefore it is moving with the roll movement.
Hi Psionic001, are you still there and willing to help? I am stuck at this point and can't figure out the problem I'm having on the AV200 and this scaling factor.
rancherpete is offline Find More Posts by rancherpete
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 19, 2012, 07:10 PM
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Apr 2006
2,183 Posts
For a HoverflyGIMBAL settings thread, why is it that no one is posting their settings?

BEN, can you upload some optimised settings files?
Psionic001 is offline Find More Posts by Psionic001
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 19, 2012, 07:23 PM
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Apr 2006
2,183 Posts
AV200 360 settings

The way you describe the position is a bit confusing, but totally understandable.

Think of your whole gimbal as a cube. Confirm how your HFG is mounted?
Mine is on the back face, with power pins at the top so they call that BACK TOP.
It does not matter that it's actually on the top RHS of the back face of the gimbal.

Be sure to calibrate your Mag, Gyro and accelerometers fully. You only need to do it once.

Now onto my AV200:

ROLL SETTINGS:
Centre Point (yours will be slightly different)

Scaling factor:

Min Pulse: 1.000
Max Pulse: 2.000
(you can reduce these for safety to get less throw lets say 1.1 to 1.9)

Acceleration Rate gain:

PID Gain:
8.00 (reduce this to slow the roll down)

NOTE: Both the Acceleration Rate gain and PID gains have been very flakey for me. Sometimes they work, sometimes they don't. On one day the roll gains worked just great but tilt didn't (today), then next time I tried and tilt gains worked and responded to my changes but roll didn't.

It also seems like they only work on the VERY FIRST TIME you adjust them. After that they can't be configured. YMMV

You may want to do a factory reset like I finally did, and try and dial them in again.

It feels like the more I change the settings, the more corrupt data sits there in the background.

My TILT Settings are as follows:

TILT SETTINGS:
Centre Point (yours will be slightly different)
NOTE: I don't know whether you are supposed to set servo centre at about 45 degrees down which is the servo travel centre point, OR at Horizontal. The figure above is horizontal for me.

Scaling factor:

Min Pulse: 1.000
Max Pulse: 2.000
(you can reduce these for safety to get less throw lets say 1.1 to 1.9)

Acceleration Rate gain:

PID Gain:
8.00 (reduce this to slow the tilt down)

My TILT Settings are good but not great:
If anyone has good pitch settings on the AV200, please post them.

Quote:
Thanks, Yes, it is an AV200. At the moment I have the HF board mounted to the bottom, left, back of the gimbal (as you look at the front of the gimbal where it says Photohigher and the camera lens would be pointing at you). Therefore it is moving with the roll movement.

Quote:
Hi Psionic001, are you still there and willing to help? I am stuck at this point and can't figure out the problem I'm having on the AV200 and this scaling factor.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 19, 2012, 07:32 PM
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Apr 2006
2,183 Posts
If those settings don't get you close, then there may be a mechanical issue with your Roll Pot. Check that it is mounted firmly, and that the gear head is not slipping on the shaft at full travel. Best to do that by narrowing down the Min/Max pulse and check performance.
There's no reason you can't do a bubble level scale calibration at just 20 ROLL unless you think you'll be exceeding that while you are filming.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 19, 2012, 07:43 PM
Joined Dec 2011
296 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psionic001 View Post
If those settings don't get you close, then there may be a mechanical issue with your Roll Pot. Check that it is mounted firmly, and that the gear head is not slipping on the shaft at full travel. Best to do that by narrowing down the Min/Max pulse and check performance.
There's no reason you can't do a bubble level scale calibration at just 20 ROLL unless you think you'll be exceeding that while you are filming.
Thank you for taking the time to help me with this. As luck would have it many of my settings were very close to yours, like the pulse settings. The part that I cannot get to work is this damn Scaling factor in Roll. Even if I lift one side of the gear an inch off the table I still cannot get the bubble in the center. Mounting: I'm sorry if my description seemed unclear. My point was that the HF board is mounted to the lowest most point of the left side of the gimbal and moves WITH the gimbal in its roll motion. The instructions from HF state that it can pretty much be mounted anywhere on the gimbal with a few exceptions and i have mounted it exactly where they drew their green circle in the manual as a GOOD place to mount. It seems that some people mount this to a stationary part of the gimbal while some suggest that it be mounted to a part of the gimbal that moves, as I have done. Is this a problem as far as you know, and could this be why my Scaling factor is not working in Roll?
Old Aug 19, 2012, 07:58 PM
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Apr 2006
2,183 Posts
Try mounting it where mine is. Just tape it securely as a test.

BACK TOP (back face of gimbal, power pins top)
Take it as High as you can.
I have the AV200-360 and looking at the back face of the landing legs at the right top there's a large hole in the CF plate. Mine is mounted right in the middle of that.

Quote:
Thank you for taking the time to help me with this. As luck would have it many of my settings were very close to yours, like the pulse settings. The part that I cannot get to work is this damn Scaling factor in Roll. Even if I lift one side of the gear an inch off the table I still cannot get the bubble in the center. Mounting: I'm sorry if my description seemed unclear. My point was that the HF board is mounted to the lowest most point of the left side of the gimbal and moves WITH the gimbal in its roll motion. The instructions from HF state that it can pretty much be mounted anywhere on the gimbal with a few exceptions and i have mounted it exactly where they drew their green circle in the manual as a GOOD place to mount. It seems that some people mount this to a stationary part of the gimbal while some suggest that it be mounted to a part of the gimbal that moves, as I have done. Is this a problem as far as you know, and could this be why my Scaling factor is not working in Roll?
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 19, 2012, 08:03 PM
Joined Dec 2011
296 Posts
Quote:
Me again: Apparently it does matter if the HF is mounted to a stationary part of the gimbal as opposed to a part that moves. I just placed my HF board at a different location, one that is fixed (like the outer frame that does not move with pitch or roll) and the Scaling now works fine. This raises the question; why would they show that picture in their user manual with the green circle suggesting that this is "good" location? Just got you latest reply so thanks for that. We are on the same page, mate. I think I can get back at it now. If they took the time to explain some of this it would have saved me a lot of time and aggravation. I really appreciate our help! I'll let you know how it goes.
Old Aug 19, 2012, 08:13 PM
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Apr 2006
2,183 Posts
No worries,
Post your settings if you can get them dialled in well. Especially Tilt.

Quote:
Me again: Apparently it does matter if the HF is mounted to a stationary part of the gimbal as opposed to a part that moves. I just placed my HF board at a different location, one that is fixed (like the outer frame that does not move with pitch or roll) and the Scaling now works fine. This raises the question; why would they show that picture in their user manual with the green circle suggesting that this is "good" location? Just got you latest reply so thanks for that. We are on the same page, mate. I think I can get back at it now. If they took the time to explain some of this it would have saved me a lot of time and aggravation. I really appreciate our help! I'll let you know how it goes.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 19, 2012, 08:15 PM
Joined Dec 2011
296 Posts
Quote:
No worries,
Will do. Thanks again.
Old Aug 19, 2012, 08:46 PM
Joined Dec 2011
296 Posts
Quote:
No worries,
I just did the 'mirror test' and it seemed to work pretty well. When I view the LCD screen on the back of my DSLR while )moving things about in pitch and roll) there is a slight lag between the time when I stop my movement and the gimbal actually catches up and settles down. I am not sure what setting would control this or if perhaps this is actually part of its design so as to smooth things out a bit.
Old Aug 21, 2012, 10:15 AM
Joined Feb 2006
110 Posts
Good or Bad

Hi Guys,

I'm looking for a good gimbal stabilisastion. I fly a 800 size e-Heli with a 3axis
AV200 in the nose. I bought the skyline previously but had a lot of jitter problems with it. Have kept it aside for now and closely following the skyline thread and most people using the skyline states that its still not lost the jitter problems.
Ok now i was looking at a usable gimbal stabilisation solution for myself. Its not that i'm looking for THE perfect solution, any workable solution will do, ofcourse good workable solution.
So other than the skyline i see the HF gimbal stabi, is it any better than the skyline? If so then i shall get one.
Also there is free fly radian stabi, its a little expensive but is it available as of now and are there any people using it with positive results? I dont mind getting the Radian but want to know if it works before putting my $$ there. I dont want to end up with another stabiliser for which the company expects me to do their testing and give them feedback. I just want to use it.

Thanks & Regards,
Adarsh
adarsh_007 is offline Find More Posts by adarsh_007
Old Aug 21, 2012, 03:54 PM
USA, FL, Winter Springs
Joined Apr 2006
3,066 Posts
The HoverflyGIMBAL is really working quite well. We have quite a few different gimbals we are testing on and the results I have seen are really quite good. It's just a matter of getting it configured properly and making sure it is mounted away from any sources of magnetic interference such as servos, etc.

There have been a few issues with the early firmware, but we have most of them ironed out at this point.
360 pan AG700-DS Askman and Gary's Gimbal for DSLR (2 min 33 sec)

Quote:
Originally Posted by adarsh_007 View Post
Hi Guys,

I'm looking for a good gimbal stabilisastion. I fly a 800 size e-Heli with a 3axis
AV200 in the nose. I bought the skyline previously but had a lot of jitter problems with it. Have kept it aside for now and closely following the skyline thread and most people using the skyline states that its still not lost the jitter problems.
Ok now i was looking at a usable gimbal stabilisation solution for myself. Its not that i'm looking for THE perfect solution, any workable solution will do, ofcourse good workable solution.
So other than the skyline i see the HF gimbal stabi, is it any better than the skyline? If so then i shall get one.
Also there is free fly radian stabi, its a little expensive but is it available as of now and are there any people using it with positive results? I dont mind getting the Radian but want to know if it works before putting my $$ there. I dont want to end up with another stabiliser for which the company expects me to do their testing and give them feedback. I just want to use it.

Thanks & Regards,
Adarsh
S11D336B is offline Find More Posts by S11D336B
Site Sponsor
Old Aug 21, 2012, 04:31 PM
Joined Dec 2011
296 Posts
Can you think of any way to slow down the rate that the gimbal pitch is performed by my Futaba 8FG Super? Unfortunately only one half of the lever movement will control the pitch (in a one TX setup) and it seems to happen too fast. There does not seem to be a way to slow it down in order to get a smoother movement.
Last edited by rancherpete; Aug 21, 2012 at 05:56 PM.
Old Aug 22, 2012, 12:46 PM
South Orange County, CA
Joined Mar 2003
8,099 Posts
I notice now, with v1.03, that there is a new PID parameter. This defaults to 1. What exactly does this control/affect, and what are the range of values that can be entered?

-- Gary
GGoodrum is offline Find More Posts by GGoodrum
Old Aug 22, 2012, 02:54 PM
manual flying apologist
United States, CA, Fresno
Joined Mar 2011
6,944 Posts
Quote:
Can you think of any way to slow down the rate that the gimbal pitch is performed by my Futaba 8FG Super? Unfortunately only one half of the lever movement will control the pitch (in a one TX setup) and it seems to happen too fast. There does not seem to be a way to slow it down in order to get a smoother movement.
cant you change the travel of the channel, and add expo to it and that should take care of the issue..... right?
Adidas4275 is offline Find More Posts by Adidas4275